Older Bandit Autofeed help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinmatt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996ish Bandit HD280XP and I'm trying to decipher the autofeed and get it working. I replaced the wiring from the box to the solenoid, and from the box to the tach and ignition. The solenoid functions properly when 12v is put on it, and the box has an on/off switch which is working correctly. Also, the fuse is in place and not blown. When I flick the switch on to go into Auto mode, I get a red light on the "Pickup" LED, but nothing on the "Energize" LED. Also, what is the purpose of the white box? It has an adjustable dial on top.

1692036500743.png

Maybe contact Bandit directly for info.?
I actually did contact Bandit. I got a manual for it from them a couple years ago, but the autofeed documentation was for a newer version, and not at all helpful. I requested a wiring diagram for the one I have, and they forwarded my email to someone else, but I haven't heard back and it's been a week.

The white box is a time delay relay, the knob adjusts the delay timing. With the zip ty mounting this looks like an aftermarket mod.

Hard to know the purpose, have not found any wiring diagrams online.

I would try bypassing it to see if it fixes the auto feed issue.

Thank you! This is the exact info I needed to get me heading in the right direction. For future reference for anyone else who stumbles onto this thread, I found this info on it once I got the part number:
https://download.schneider-electric..._Name=30072-453-03.pdf&p_Doc_Ref=30072-453-03
And FML:
1692628287871.png
:laugh:

I pulled the white and blue box off, and found a label. It is Murphy SS100 speed switch. I couldn't find any info on the SS100, but it appears to be generally the same as the SS300, just with different pinout on the bottom 4 terminals:
https://fwmurphy.com/uploaded/documents/pdfs/00-02-0286.pdf1692628405689.png

So it looks like the tach feed is #4, and the solenoid recieves the signal from #1. I don't understand the function of #8.

I'm guessing the Square D timer box is just on there to delay the restart of the feed and give it more time to recover.

I'm still not getting the "Energize" light to come on under any condition, so there may be an issue with the SS100. But I'm gonna start by bypassing the timer box and go from there.

This is helpful!

Run the engine at the desired RPM and adjust the SPEED ADJUST pot counterclockwise until the ENERGIZE LED comes “ON” and the relay has transferred.

The energize light should turn on and latch with an engine overspeed condition.

pin 8 supplies an overspeed signal to the stop solenoid.

This Murphy controller has nothing to do with Auto Feed. That function is operated by an IEC tach/controller.

I found a few sites with mid 90s HD280XP chippers for sale. Those picture a Datcon tach which is analog.
There is no mention of auto feed on those listings.
?

This is helpful!

Run the engine at the desired RPM and adjust the SPEED ADJUST pot counterclockwise until the ENERGIZE LED comes “ON” and the relay has transferred.

The energize light should turn on and latch with an engine overspeed condition.

pin 8 supplies an overspeed signal to the stop solenoid.

This Murphy controller has nothing to do with Auto Feed. That function is operated by an IEC tach/controller.

I found a few sites with mid 90s HD280XP chippers for sale. Those picture a Datcon tach which is analog.
There is no mention of auto feed on those listings.
?
Mine has a Datcon analog tach, but the Murphy SS100 appears to be getting a signal from the wires coming off the tach. From the general area of the tach, it is recieving battery -, ignition switched battery +, and what I assumed was a tach/input signal. Most of those likely were switch out to a newer version. Mine is serial #74, and this all appears to be original except the timer switch.

Mine has a Datcon analog tach, but the Murphy SS100 appears to be getting a signal from the wires coming off the tach. From the general area of the tach, it is recieving battery -, ignition switched battery +, and what I assumed was a tach/input signal. Most of those likely were switch out to a newer version. Mine is serial #74, and this all appears to be original except the timer switch.
The transducer at the engine flywheel is probably feeding a signal to the engine tach and Murphy. A schematic would show how its routed.

What is missing is a method to control feed roller forward and reverse. When engine rpms falls below a setpoint the feed roller stops and then reverses momentarily. This pulls the tree material back from the cutter wheel while the engine speed recovers.

The Murphy controller does not have that capability.

Here is a site that sells conversion kits to mod the older machines. Not cheap.

https://autofeedplus.com/auto-feed-...erts-morbark-bandit-chippers-to-auto-reverse/

The transducer at the engine flywheel is probably feeding a signal to the engine tach and Murphy. A schematic would tell us how exactly its routed.

What is missing is a method to control feed wheel forward and reverse. When engine rpms falls below a setpoint the feed wheel stops and then reverses momentarily. This pulls the tree material back while the engine speed recovers.

The Murphy controller does not have that capability.

I found a site that sold conversion kits to mod the older machines. Not cheap.
This is a simple old auto feed that just stops the feed, it doesn’t reverse. The SS100 should be capable of that just by powering the solenoid when the RPM drops below the set point, and deenergizing when above the set point, correct?

This is a simple old auto feed that just stops the feed, it doesn’t reverse. The SS100 should be capable of that just by powering the solenoid when the RPM drops below the set point, and deenergizing when above the set point, correct?
I don't have a 280XP hydraulic diagram.

What solenoid will the murphy control?

If the feed roller is stopped, with the tree material against the cutting wheel, how will that work?

So this isn't a modern day auto feed. Pins 2 and 3 on the Murphy controller are normally closed, controlling a solenoid?
Is this for the feed roller?

Apparently the time relay pauses the feed roller long enough for the engine rpm to recover.

Returning to your original question, what is not working with the feed system? Does the engine stall while chipping?

I don't have a 280XP hydraulic diagram.

What solenoid will the murphy control?

If the feed roller is stopped, with the tree material against the cutting wheel, how will that work?
It just stops infeeding (flow stop solenoid in-line to the feedwheel supply), but doesn’t retract. Not ideal, but better than just shoving material in until it stalls.

So this isn't a modern day auto feed. Pins 2 and 3 on the Murphy controller are normally closed, controlling a solenoid?
Is this for the feed roller?

Apparently the time relay is to pause feed roller long enough for the engine rpm to recover.

Returning to your original question, what is not working with the feed system? Does the engine stall while chipping?
The auto feed doesn’t do anything. I have to control the feed wheels with the bar, so I can’t machine load it unless I have a helper. At least not on bigger stuff that will overwhelm it.

One thing I don't like about older Bandit chippers is the curved feed snout. Great spot to plug up and a biatch to unclog. I've put access doors in a couple now, right at the bend, especially when chipping pine with needles on the branches.

Latest posts

Back