Older Stihl 034 Clutch Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrew888

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, its been a while since I've been here.

Quite some time ago (7 years) I posted this thread (https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-034-bar-oil-mess.213928/) in a attempt to solve a chain oiling problem. Despite all the great advice I wasn't able to overcome the issue. I parked the saw because I have other saws I can use and also had little time to continue working on the 034.

I retired recently and now have more time on my hands so I thought I would see if we can solve the issue. I went through everything that was suggested on the old thread above to refresh myself, but ended up with the same issue of oil puking out of the clutch cover and virtually no oil flinging off the chain when revved up.

I'm beginning to think I might have the wrong clutch cover. My cover has the hole for side adjustment of the chain tension but my saw is a front adjustment model. Is it possible that this is the wrong cover for this saw???
Ax19cXV.jpg

XnJSksh.jpg

pMjZZ7m.jpg

Nj4YEFX.jpg

B7LLDek.jpg

Cheers!

I have a clutch cover that doesn't have a hole for the side chain adjustment if you want to try that.
I'd also try installing an Inner Bar Side Plate 1122 664 1000 and see if that helps.

John

Does the oil hole go all the way through the bar? Put up a picture of the bar. If so then you might have a cover issue. If not you can't and won't.

How do you know that oil is not flowing down the bar? It is not unusual for a bar cover to look like this when you are not actually cutting wood .

I know that there were some 034 that did not have #24 the bar plate. That helped my 034 oil better. Also there is a clutch cover without the adjustment holeupload_2019-12-14_21-39-59.jpeg

There was no screw hole to tighten the plate to. So not #22. I just have it “sandwiched” in. Works much better image.jpg

I have a clutch cover that doesn't have a hole for the side chain adjustment if you want to try that.
I'd also try installing an Inner Bar Side Plate 1122 664 1000 and see if that helps.

John
Hi John, thanks for the offer to try your clutch cover. I'm in Canada so not that practical to try yours but if someone on the south end of Vancouver island chimes in that would let me try theirs??? I did try the inner bar plate as per the old thread but it didn't help.

John
The IPLs do show an inner bar plate but the picture gdrew888 posted above does not appear to have the screw hole for the bar plate you suggested. One IPL also show the bar plate that attaches to the bar studs with springy flanges - I hate the design but it does mount without a screw to hold it on. That bar plate is part number 1122 664 1001.

John
Doesn't look like this early version 034 had the side plate as there is no mounting screw hole in the crankcase casting. Was the side plate added later?

Looking at the photos again... The newer bar covers have a recess in the stud holes that allow the cover to fit over the wide parts on the studs on the saw. Your cover doesn't which may cause the bar to be too loose even if the nuts are tightened. check the clearance with the B&C removed and/or only with the bar installed. There should be zero play in the bar. I believe that these covers are the same as on the 026/260 saws so if you have one of those you might try a swap.

BTW, what is the part number that is stamped on the inside of the bar cover? I have never seen one that had steel inserts for the bar stud holes.

That is what I had heard too but for some reason it made mine oil better. Maybe mine was an anomaly?

Oh, and I do have an Oregon bar on the saw with the oil hole that goes right through but I did try with a Sthil bar with the same result.

Does the oil hole go all the way through the bar? Put up a picture of the bar. If so then you might have a cover issue. If not you can't and won't.

How do you know that oil is not flowing down the bar? It is not unusual for a bar cover to look like this when you are not actually cutting wood .

It looks the same when I'm cutting wood and also the bar get hot because of chain friction due to lack of oil. I've run saws for a long time and I often revved them up with the bar tip close to a chunk of wood to confirm I have reasonable oil flow so I don't damage the bar.

It might be time for a new chain?? Also you might check the chain direction... ( you can't claim to be the first to do that). Chain and bar can get hot running in that direction.

haha, ya long overdue for a new chain this is the old one off my 026 that I've been using for testing on the 034. I didn't run the chain backwards this was a picture from last week that I took while messing around with the bar, cover and chain trying to figure out clearances after a ran it up with the chain the right way.

The adjustment hole in the clutch cover is not causing your problems. Maybe someone put a side adjust 036 cover on your 034. Check the oil output hose that the oil pump sits in. It might be worn out and leaking. Check the oil line also for cracks. Lastly check the bar for the right fit. The oil hole has got to line up, and be wide enough to get oil to the chain. I'd be interested to find out the numbers and letters on that bar...

Back