Oldirty North American Tour 08

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hear ya dude. i cant see hearing being in my future at an older age.

that lid has only fallen off my head but a few times. nothing that would make me want to wear a chinstrap, thats for sure. main reason i am leary of the petzl. kinda gay looking, that chin strap.

i feel ass naked if i am not wearing my safety shades. so i dont think i would like those goggles. i'd rather keep my eyes covered at all times when working not flipping them up and down all the time mainly for reason like your rope and eye story.

nice lid rope.

you gotta go to youtube and watch "How NOT To Cut Down A Tree".

dont get caught up watching the house, keep an eye on the stem.

nice lid rope.

you gotta go to youtube and watch "How NOT To Cut Down A Tree".

dont get caught up watching the house, keep an eye on the stem.

Believe me I was watching the stem bro here is the pic of it
before felling! That tree was 43" dbh and tall, I got all I could
off with the bucket and winched it strapped the bugger I did
not care to climb and rig those large top limbs.
Call me chicken if ya have to but those limbs are bigger than
they look in these pics and the rot well I think ya get the just.
I was not feeling froggy that day either :laugh:

Last edited:

lol. no thats a nasty tree for sure rope. for sure, and you put it on the ground right where you wanted.

but.

i was talking about going to youtube and watching "How NOT To Cut Down A Tree". that is brutal and what i meant about watching the stem and not the house.

A repeat of a good show the first time. I do wonder if I could get my 150 pound body up there and make some cuts, BIG CUTS. I would feel better after I got a few down for sure! If i knew the limbs could run on the block I would have more confidence too. The saw will do the work, I just have to get there to turn it on and point it (that was a joke).
I would say sorry for "the derailment" but it looks as though this is just us talking.
I would consider lashing the piss out of the stem first. 2x4 and HEAVY duty ratchet straps. I have done this where on stone dead trees I needed( I'm sorry wanted) the high rig point, and it was worth seting up the 2 pieces of wood. I just used rope to lash them on and it was real easy getting them out as I used cheap poly rope to sort of "whip" the boards on and used my saw to remove them.
Also I would like everyone to notice that this excerpt is actually what would be called ' proper grammer' and is what you will find in most books and other print. If , for some reason, you think its not and do not understand this excerpt, well... you have a major problem there sparky. Not counting typos and I didn't spellcheck either.
I went to the arboreteum today and was thinking I might clean up my act for a chance to work with some really amazing trees.

Dude, I am so totally envious of you. I have always dreamed of living and working in Alaska. The whole time I was in the Army I tried to get stationed up there and now my dream is finally gonna come true as well. Not gonna get up there as soon as you but I will be up there next spring. I have family in Anchorage, Palmer, Fairbanks, and Valdez. My girlfriends father owns a salmon boat in Valdez so I will be doing a bit of commercial fishing as well. She is itching to get back to AK and I am chomping at the bit to get up there to. Keep in touch and let me know how things go.

Kenn

anyone watch that vid yet?

What are you talking about bro? That's my other hobby; peruseing through all that and some more. i have to tell you since I have been spending time here I don't see as much #### but Joe up at the rental yard does, all day in fact.
I also have to tell if you wonder why I act so nuts its cause I am so happy to be alive. Been there and done that, lived to tell. In all honesty it was all pretty fun but OH the joy of LIFE! Really its good.
Jamie told me he heard about the guy who just dove into a chipper. I asked him if he ever thought about going in one.. He said NO WAY!
I explained what I meant was if he ever pictured what it was like to be fed in, you know a little movie in your head from the time the feed rollers tug in your fingers til your face meets the knifes. I guess that is what I do evertime I make a cut, actually just getting out of the truck. Its scary out there.
But that video reminds me of Tucson where I climbed up a dead tree in an alley( probably drunk, about 20 years old) with and axe and chopped out a branch about 14 inches in diameter. I would have dropped the whole thing but that would have made to much noise and I wouldn't have been able to tie it to the back of my old volvo wagon and drag it home. Come to think it was Phoenix but even back then I liked to believe I had some common sense.
Oh , we needed the firewood, we were broke college kids. AND if they had craigslist back then my skinny Ramen noddle, 50 cent taco eating ass would have been SET!
Now I take my Filet medium( and it better be cause I don't go to no franchise to have some non- professional serve me no steak OR I do it myself) with hollandaise cause I'm a tree man now! And that's ok, I sleep all night and I work all day, I chop down trees , I skip and jump, wear panties and a bra, put on girlies clothing like my dear mama. I do just love that song.

Last edited:
A repeat of a good show the first time. I do wonder if I could get my 150 pound body up there and make some cuts, BIG CUTS. I would feel better after I got a few down for sure! If i knew the limbs could run on the block I would have more confidence too. The saw will do the work, I just have to get there to turn it on and point it (that was a joke).
I would say sorry for "the derailment" but it looks as though this is just us talking.
I would consider lashing the piss out of the stem first. 2x4 and HEAVY duty ratchet straps. I have done this where on stone dead trees I needed( I'm sorry wanted) the high rig point, and it was worth seting up the 2 pieces of wood. I just used rope to lash them on and it was real easy getting them out as I used cheap poly rope to sort of "whip" the boards on and used my saw to remove them.
Also I would like everyone to notice that this excerpt is actually what would be called ' proper grammer' and is what you will find in most books and other print. If , for some reason, you think its not and do not understand this excerpt, well... you have a major problem there sparky. Not counting typos and I didn't spellcheck either.
I went to the arboreteum today and was thinking I might clean up my act for a chance to work with some really amazing trees.

Well friend I did this to that butt

Last edited:
i hear ya dude. i cant see hearing being in my future at an older age.

that lid has only fallen off my head but a few times. nothing that would make me want to wear a chinstrap, thats for sure. main reason i am leary of the petzl. kinda gay looking, that chin strap.

i feel ass naked if i am not wearing my safety shades. so i dont think i would like those goggles. i'd rather keep my eyes covered at all times when working not flipping them up and down all the time mainly for reason like your rope and eye story.
I hear ya on the gay looking part there oldirty. I just got a petzl, yellow so it goes with the green shirts with yellow logo and lettering, but to be honest along with the addition of the bucket and actually wearing a safety harness, + the chin strap, well yes it feels sort of gay. And the chinstrap makes it feel like I'm wearing a bonnet, you know "bucket baby", lol.

I hear ya on the gay looking part there oldirty. I just got a petzl, yellow so it goes with the green shirts with yellow logo and lettering, but to be honest along with the addition of the bucket and actually wearing a safety harness, + the chin strap, well yes it feels sort of gay. And the chinstrap makes it feel like I'm wearing a bonnet, you know "bucket baby", lol.

Just rememember to skip and jump and you are all set. My favourite color is yellow, its my daughters too.

Old groundman dan, thats what it says. And he charged me 300 $, I think it was less last time-F#@#$@!, lol.

yup, that's me, an old groundman. What kind of chipper was the clutch job on? How old of a machine?
Reminds me off the time I was following a chipper to the job saying to myself" Why do I smell clutch?" Turns out the guys started it to warm it and drove it 15 miles to the job. It must of been engaged and jammed. But that is not the funiest part.
So how did the planting go? Jeez, 20 years and no planting skills? I will stop with all the bull now and just accept you.
I am looking at a few planting jobs but its tough with all the 'drill and plug' 10 mexican crews out there putting in green for the new homes and such. I am palying " hard to get" with the customers and frankly , I am. Ask my wife, she will tell you that I am hard to get into bed and even harder to get out.
I have allready spent a good ammount of time with them and I know they will get their monies worth.
You really have to account for the future of your plantings right off the bat. Things like water run off and location are very important. The last thing you need to be is the guy who screwed it last time. These new customers( who now know what a mexican crew is capable of) have a gas line, the bad plantings, and a good amount of standing water to reckon with as its killing what's there. I knew I could milk this job the rest of my life when I told them I could give them all the corkscrew willow they wanted, well just a couple at least. which reminds me, I have to go, nursery needs me.

Rope, you still showin pics of my ex! aint ya got nuthin new?

yup, that's me, an old groundman. What kind of chipper was the clutch job on? How old of a machine?
Reminds me off the time I was following a chipper to the job saying to myself" Why do I smell clutch?" Turns out the guys started it to warm it and drove it 15 miles to the job. It must of been engaged and jammed. But that is not the funiest part.
So how did the planting go? Jeez, 20 years and no planting skills? I will stop with all the bull now and just accept you.
I am looking at a few planting jobs but its tough with all the 'drill and plug' 10 mexican crews out there putting in green for the new homes and such. I am palying " hard to get" with the customers and frankly , I am. Ask my wife, she will tell you that I am hard to get into bed and even harder to get out.
I have allready spent a good ammount of time with them and I know they will get their monies worth.
You really have to account for the future of your plantings right off the bat. Things like water run off and location are very important. The last thing you need to be is the guy who screwed it last time. These new customers( who now know what a mexican crew is capable of) have a gas line, the bad plantings, and a good amount of standing water to reckon with as its killing what's there. I knew I could milk this job the rest of my life when I told them I could give them all the corkscrew willow they wanted, well just a couple at least. which reminds me, I have to go, nursery needs me.

Dan, are you drunk again? :laugh:

Rope, you still showin pics of my ex! aint ya got nuthin new?

Yeah, I am guilty of camera lazyness, there is so many things to
remember going to the job I always forget sumpin! I will try to get better
but I would remember the cam and forget saw gas:laugh: That one was one
of my many bad ones and pretty high up on the list. If I get the one I just
bid tree growing out of roof with a three phaze on the other side I will try
to remember camera k ! I won't touch the x comment and plea the fifth in
all matters that may be pending whether forgotten or not :laugh:

Latest posts

Back