olympyk 264f wont start no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi thank you for asking i keep thinking of it, but its been over 3 weeks that ive been trying to get my jeep running and im going mad here.

spent 10 straight hours yesterday on the drum brakes just one actually and started on the second. we are having a practice hurricane here today so didnt get to work on it but my mom let me use her car so spent most of the day doing things i havent been able to do for the last week.

you know simple things you take for granted, like buying dog food, or dish detergent etc etc things you need a vehicle for!!

but yes i need to do something so i can get my wood for winter

im hoping to get inspection sticker and get moving next week.

if i dont get it next week the saw among other things wont matter because i will have lost my mind and wont notice when its below zero in the house this winter.

ever been stuck at home for 3 weeks in a row??
buyers emailing wanting to know where their items are etc etc

anyway thank you again for reposting to ask ill get to it i know

Contact

the other problem i was having with the saw and originally posted about was the fact that you couldnt pull the cord more than one rotation unless you took the spark plug out of the hole than you could pull the cord all the way just fine
does this help to point to a specific area ??

When you tested for spark did you ground the body of the plug?
It just can't hang there in mid air.

Also your statement about not being able to pull the motor over more than one revolution with the plug in, is the piston
hitting the plug?

DGD_RLS

hi thanks for asking i did ground the body of the plug in pulling on the cord i dont believe it is hitting the plug at least i cant hear anything or detect that it is. would there be a way to tell?

Plug

If the piston is hitting the plug, (depending on how much it is hitting)
you can close the plug gap up to not getting full rotation of the crank.

It would really have to be the wrong plug for this to happen,
pull the plug and shine a light down the plug hole and look at the piston
what do you see?

DGD_rls

Sorry, westcoast, but I think you're in a little over your head if you need to fix your saw before you cut enough wood for a Maine winter. Your Homelite is too dull to use, but if you're not able to solve that problem yourself on the Homelite it will soon get you on the Oly anyway.

It would be so much easier if you could find a friendly, handy neighbor to look at these things. I mean no disrespect, but "no man (or woman) is an island, complete...unto themselves". I have no doubt that almost every poster here could get you going in a jiffy if we could be there to work on your saw...and your jeep. Forums like this are wonderful ways of sharing info, but you need to have the basics first.

Can you get to a town with a public library? Perhaps a basic repair manual for small engines (and jeeps) resides there.

hi just went and got it from outside shined a light in all you see really is the top of the piston? going up and down when you turn the flywheel

really it seems to be a matter of compression in that when you take the spark plug out air can escape when turning the flywheel but as you progessively tighten the spark plug in, it becomes harder and harder to turn the fly wheel because the air has no where to go so it starts trying to escape from wherever it can it was sort of gasping back out the carb tonight when i tightened the plug tight and tried to turn the flywheel.
does this make sense?
oh yes i have a champion cj6 plug in i even tried my little homelite spark plug they all do the same thing no spark and you cant tighten the plug in the hole without the compression being too much to overcome when turning the flywheel to start it.

well now......hold up..... dont think im over my head yet..... im gasping for air.
but havent gone under yet............ and wont.

thank you for your concern about my ability to cope with wood for the winter.

last year i had a months notice that i would need wood for the winter, i was able to gather then split enough wood to heat my 6 room house for the winter. without a chainsaw.
i already have all my wood gathered this year the long pieces i need to cut, before renting a splitter, if i cant well i guess i can just make do again this year.
but since i have two chainsaws id like to use them if possible.

your advising me to ask a friendly neighbor for help is appreciated unfortunately i dont have any that are knowledgeable about jeeps and chainsaws.
i guess posting here is the closest i can come to taking your advice in regards to the chainsaw.
and im sure if you were close enough you would be more than glad to come and fix my chainsaw for me . gratis.

as far as my jeep goes? thats funny.

i do all the work on my jeep ive done everything except putting in the new engine and changing the fly wheel.
an 85 has needed a lot of work in 5 years of ownership. and ive done all of it myself. in fact i dont think your basic manual found at the library is going to cover what ive done,
unfortunately drum brakes ive never done, disc brakes, calipers? sure, but not drums..
and on an 85 everything is rusted tight.so everything breaks if your not very careful, you need heat and patience and more patience.
having an auto parts store that will deliver would help too. walking 6 miles to walmart for a deep socket tends to eat up a good part of a day.

burns alot of calories though.

while im sure your advice that i should rely on neighbors for help everytime i need it is well intentioned,it is in the end rather self defeating dont you think?
i understand that in this culture women are supposed to ask for help when it comes to anything outside the household realm.
they should find the nearest friendly neighbor and using that special little whiny tone they have mastered so completely say "but i dont know how", or "ive never done it" or"its too hard" followed by "but can you do it for me"??? all said while looking up, smiling sweetly and batting their eyelashes.
and if its a hot summer day well that just helps out even more doesnt it?

id rather not thank you .

i find your quote interesting except that i think being self sufficient or attempting to be as nearly as possible is a very good goal, one of the best actually,
and one very few aspire to anymore.

in the end you are right i may not be able to an island .. but im sure as heck going to be a darn sturdy rock, if at all possible.

oh yes im almost forgot if you are ever in my area, feel free to stop by and look at my chainsaw, im sure you'll have it up and running in no time.

Howdy westcoast1,

Sounds like someone may have ruffled your feathers but i don't think they meant to.

Now back to the issue at hand, you being able to cut wood with a running chainsaw. Here is what I would do.

I would take off the chain from the running homelite and take it with you and when you buy a new one so you can match it up. If you don't take it with you write down the modle number and bar length and go to local chainsaw repair shop and get a new chain. They may also have tools and tips for sharpening the chain, just ask them.

With one running saw you can work on the other as you get time.

Now for the other saw try this, take off the muffler and put the spark plug in tight. The acres site says use Spark plug type: Bosch WS7F or Champion CJ7Y. the spark plug gap is: 0.51mm (0.020 in.) If the plug was hitting you would see a mark on top off the piston when you looked in the cylinder and the tip of the spark plug (gap) would be closed (smaler than when you started). It does not sound like it is hitting at this point but never hurts to check. You shold be able to pull it more than one revolution. If you can pull it there could be an obstruction in the muffler.

If you can not then the promblem is elsewhere. I would suspect the pull rope assembly, did you take it off and inspect it? Look for a crack on the pulley the starter rope wraps around.

Also did you check to see if your crank case was full of feul/oil buy turning the saw upside down it pulling it (with spark plug out)?

Try those things first and let us know what happens. Then we will have to look elsewhere.

I forgot to mention. Some saws are hard to pull and they equip them with a compression release valve. You would push this valve in prior to pulling the starter rope. Do you know if your saw has one? Check the saw/manual.

You sound determined so good luck. I think you can do it.

v/r
Mike

hi just sent a message and pics thru yahoo using the email address that this forum sends havent seen anything come thru yet major lag time?
sent a couple of pics as well

hmmm.
yahoo doesnt say that the message didnt make it either
wonder whats up
1230am im beat and need dinner maybe by tomorrow it will show up

love the dolmar thing
thanks for staying on top of this someone has to and it sure hasnt been me lately!!

ok duh figured it out
so pics of saw if you need others let me know

incredible dolmar thing and im too tired to say anything else believe it or not!

god i love the dolmar thing, you are a genius

I have had to replace a couple of modules on that generation of Olympiad saws. Sometimes they are cracked and sometimes not. Disconnect the wire from the on/off switch at the coil and try cranking it over. Also, look carefully at the spark plug wire for cracks and to make sure it is not loose in the module. Does the silver spring in the spark plug boot feel tight when placed on the spark plug?

Some saws can be hard to pull over. That saw seems to have a lot of carbon build up in the exhaust port, if you have access to a air compressor blow out the cylinder from the spark plug hole and see if anything comes out.

Good luck.

hi there it seemed logical that it would be start switch or module in my very limited knowledge of chain saws but modules arent cheap and hated to buy one only to find i still couldnt get it to start.

im assuming there is no compression button to aid in starting?

i dont have a compressor even with the spark plug out when you turn the flywheel you can hear the air being sort of squeezed as the piston goes up and down with the plug in forget it.

is it possible for a cylinder to get out of whack shapewise?

what is the starting routine for these saws i dont have any manuals etc.

you know believe it or not i just walked over put the plug in and turned the flywheel by hand it turns as easily as it does with out the plug out!

i put some heavy duty auto carb cleaner in 2 nights ago and its been sitting i wonder if that cleared out whatever was keeping it from pulling all the way??
ill have to put the cord back on and see if i can pull it now.
if so then we just have the no spark issue
if its the module do i need an olympyk module or can i use another brand module??

thank you

Howdy westcoast1,

Sounds like you are making progress. Where did you put the carb cleaner, in the carb or in the cylinder? I'm not familiar enough with that saw to know what happened maybe it loosened something up somewhere. If it was me I would take all the covers off that thing and clean it so I could inspect everything. You can do wonders with a rag,some brushes and some mild cleaner. I know your now thinking that if you get spark you will be good to go and maybe you will but I would give the saw a good cleaning and a good visual inspection and nut and bolt it(making sure eveything is together properly and tight). check the feul/impulse lines flush her out good. I would give it the works but I'm a clean freak when it comes to my equipment. I have bad eyesight to so it helps me loads.

Justsaws offered some insight on his experience with that make, maybe the coil/module is bad. You may get lucky and find one from anther saw that will work but I would go with a brand replacement. I would do as he said and inspect it first.

Glad you liked that dolmar thing, I thought it may be of use, it helped me.

You are almost there. Are you using the homelite and did you get your jeep going?

Good luck westcoast1

v/r
Mike

hi there i put the carb cleaner in the carb and in the cylinder thing just about everywhere i thought it might do some good
i still havent had time to actually put the rope on and pull
i know sounds stupid right?
anyway the homelite ive done nothing with, i did however use my skil saw to cut some logs that were too long as im almost out of firewood, have to start taking the house apart if it gets any colder..
if my calculations are right i burned over 5 cord of wood last winter way too much wood and work i do need a new wood stove for the winter.

theres a guy on this site who has a saw just like mine i guess hes selling alot of saws would be nice to have a parts saw.
taking it apart and cleaning it is a good idea after this 30 day stretch im going to be out straight trying to catch up on what i couldnt do. but will have to make time somehow.

jeep how i hate that word, did the drum brakes and did a road test.
i need transmission fluid and brake fluid and have to wait til my mom comes here with some tomorrow
have to figure out which light behind the instrument cluster is for brakes none are in the sockets and there are 5 to choose from none seem to light up when i put on the emergency brake so have to find a wiring diagram to figure out what is going on
boy oh boy what a month.
i think ive aged about 10 years in the last 30 days
thank you for asking about all and for that awesome diagram
havent jumped down anyones throat for the last 4 hours or so which is a good sign i suppose
but the night is young.
thanks again.

Howdy westcoast1,

Did you get your saw running yet? Have not heard anything from you and was curious if you made any further progress?

v/r
Mike

Back