? on .050 and .058 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oakeater

oakeater

ArboristSite Lurker
this post may have been brought up before. What is the advantage and disadvantage to running a .050 vs a .058ga chain. I saw that for alot of you's the .050 was eaiser to get. Are there any other advantage to the .050

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just get the one that is most common where you live - I'd love to run different gauges from what I use (.050 that is), but I really don't have a choise here (.058 for Husky etc. and .063 for Stihl is the norm) .... :mad:

kevlar

kevlar

Addicted to ArboristSite
I kinda like the .58 gauge -change tip and sprocket and you now have the ability to run 404,38 or even .325 chain if you want.On my cannon bars anyways.:greenchainsaw:

Hugenpoet

Hugenpoet

Addicted to ArboristSite
When I bought my JRed 2171 last month I had the dealer switch out the JRed bar (.058) for an Oregon .050 so that my chains would be consistent among the 372XP (which came with an .050 and I have continued to replace with .050 bsrs) and my Mikita 6401. My new Stihl 361 takes 3/8 .050, but with an 18" bar (66 link chain instead of the 72 link for a 20" bar). I'm certainly not a pro logger by any means, so take my comments with as many grains of salt as you wish, but I have had really good results using the 3/8 .050 chain and just put in an order at Baileys for 16 18" loops of Woodsman Pro and 12 20" loops of the same. Any one who thinks they can save money buying rolls of chain and the necessary tools and making their own isn't very good at math.

By the way, in case you haven't already realize it, this is a great site for at least 2 things: 1. Learning about chainsaws from many genuine experts who are very generous with their time and their expertise, and, 2. Being convinced that money spent on saw and saw related gear, no matter what ithe amount might be, is money well spent.

Hugenpoet