On Becoming a Certified Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where to begin?

I don't think I'm looking for a "career" in the industry at this point, but I want to acquire the knowledge.
Practical, hands-on experience would likely be limited due to my age and location, but I want to learn as much as I can about the subject.

Suggestions on where to begin, what books to read, websites to join, classes to take?
Maybe I'm thinking more of a botanist than an arborist?
Idk.

Any advice is appreciated.

I've been browsing the website, read the history, watched a few videos and I have some questions...
It looks like one has to be either certified, a student with approval from a local chapter, or a retired arborist to be an ISA member? And one can't attain certification without being a member?

Like I said, the certification part isn't a priority for me - I'm just looking for useful information.
What books would you recommend for a beginner?

Oh, never mind... I just looked at the "Professional" membership (I thought "professional" was meant for professionals. lol)
I think I'll start there,

ISA Professional Membership$135.00

The ISA Professional Membership is offered to all individuals actively engaged in the arboriculture industry or anyone who has an interest in trees and tree care. ISA Professional Membership provides a wide range of benefits and resources.
As an ISA Professional Member, you will receive:
  • ISA publications at your fingertips
  • Discounts on online CEU quizzes and merchandise purchased through the ISA web store
  • Reduced registration fees for ISA meetings, workshops, and conferences; and much more!
  • Don’t forget about the numerous opportunities that ISA offers to network with like-minded professionals and develop your career.

There is a LOT involved - it is a wide ranging industry. For example, there are some who spend the majority of their career in the dirt doing soil work with trees. Others prune small trees. Others prune big trees. Others work on pest management. Some focus on removals...some with cranes, others without. Etc...

But for some basics:
*A New Tree Biology
*An Illustrated Guide to Pruning
*Up By Roots
*Arborists' Certification Study Guide

Note, check the ISA bookstore for member pricing.

There is a LOT involved - it is a wide ranging industry. For example, there are some who spend the majority of their career in the dirt doing soil work with trees. Others prune small trees. Others prune big trees. Others work on pest management. Some focus on removals...some with cranes, others without. Etc...

But for some basics:
*A New Tree Biology
*An Illustrated Guide to Pruning
*Up By Roots
*Arborists' Certification Study Guide

Note, check the ISA bookstore for member pricing.
Thanks. I found all but this one
*A New Tree Biology

Going to wait for my membership to get processed (probably not until Monday) before I place an order.
Thanks for the help.
:)

I've spent a ton of money being certified with the ISA over the years. Sometimes I wonder if it's been worth it. I enjoy attending conferences and they have some good resources. It's been good for personal development. However not so much for business. The amount of times I've been asked for credentials or referred to by the ISA I can count on with one hand.

I've spent a ton of money being certified with the ISA over the years. Sometimes I wonder if it's been worth it. I enjoy attending conferences and they have some good resources. It's been good for personal development. However not so much for business. The amount of times I've been asked for credentials or referred to by the ISA I can count on with one hand.
That's good to know... even though I don't see me starting a new career - but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Lol
What about their resources, like books and courses? Are they worth the money, or are there better sources for that information?
I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm looking for yet, just know I love trees ( and all of nature, for that matter) and since this herbicide event happened, my interest in and curiosity about trees in the environment has really grown - plus, if I'm going to speak out on certain subjects related to trees, it's essential that I know what I'm talking about. :)

The vast majority of my knowledge has been from working in the field. Over the years if I came upon something in the environment I didn't know I would research it and learn. Schools and instruction have value for me they don't trump experience.
True, but didn't you begin your career with some kind of formal education related to your business?
I think, and I could be wrong, that in my situation and for my use, I should begin with the research and instruction. "Hands-on" experience will likely be limited for me...and, at my age, chances of being hired by a business, or agency are slim to none.
Are you familiar with that TN Naturalist program?
I'm thinking that might be good to check out.

I have found the opposite. Are there many Certified Arborists in your market? There are not there. Enough people know to look for one, so they find me... Not everyone cares, but my ideal client base does and there are enough to keep us busy. Cheaper and more effective than any advertising campaign.

I have found the opposite. Are there many Certified Arborists in your market? There are not there. Enough people know to look for one, so they find me... Not everyone cares, but my ideal client base does and there are enough to keep us busy. Cheaper and more effective than any advertising campaign.
Excellent point!
Raintree is the only one I know of in TN, and he's winding down. Those I contacted either work for a utility, or never called me back. Those were in a 100 mile radius.
If I were to learn enough about it and get certified, I'd have more work than I could handle. :p Depending on what area I got into. Definitely not the tree-climbing tree-felling part.

Thanks. I found all but this one
*A New Tree Biology

Going to wait for my membership to get processed (probably not until Monday) before I place an order.
Thanks for the help.
:)
I was surprised ISA doesn't have that one. Shigo is the founder of modern arboriculture and that lays out the science behind it. Oh, and now that I said that.... Shigo's Modern Arboriculture is another to add to the list.

Looking through ISA's book store reminded me of a couple others.
Quick and simple: Tree Owner's Manual which is free as a pdf: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5368392.pdf

And of the Best Management Practices for topics you are interested in.

And possibly the most important place to start...how are you at tree identification? You know your own trees well, but how about others? The Peterson Field guide has a good key in it.

Woody Plants of North America is a web-based "book". The nice thing about that is they will continue updating it and you'll get the latest. Not great for starting from "I have no idea what this is", but really good for either confirming your suspicion or showing you what else looks similar. Not strong on non-native ornamentals.

Excellent point!
Raintree is the only one I know of in TN, and he's winding down. Those I contacted either work for a utility, or never called me back. Those were in a 100 mile radius.
If I were to learn enough about it and get certified, I'd have more work than I could handle. :p Depending on what area I got into. Definitely not the tree-climbing tree-felling part.
If you wanted to do consulting work/helping communities plan, wrote specifications, etc... I think there is some opportunity. I have a friend who is looking to start consulting with cities to help integrate their trees into their overall carbon management plans. That's a whole 'nother subject that I don't want to dive into here...but people are willing to spend the money and they need the expertise to help them do it.

Inwas surprised ISA doesn't have that one. Shigo is the founder of modern arboriculture and that lays out the scientbehind it. Oh, and now that I said that.... Shigo's Modern Arboriculture is another to add to the list.

Looking through ISA's book store reminded me of a couple others.
Quick and simple: Tree Owner's Manual which is free as a pdf: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5368392.pdf

And of the Best Management Practices for topics you are interested in.

And possibly the most important place to start...how are you at tree identification? You know your own trees well, but how about others? The Peterson Field guide has a good key in it.

Woody Plants of North America is a web-based "book". The nice thing about that is they will continue updating it and you'll get the latest. Not great for starting from "I have no idea what this is", but really good for either confirming your suspicion or showing you what else looks similar. Not strong on non-native ornamentals.
Thanks!
I have the field guide in my cart on ISA. I'll look at the others you suggested.
The name Shigo sounds familiar - I think they were talking about him in that video I watched that is posted on ISA website, the one with all the men talking about the history of aboriculture. I really enjoyed that video.
The story the one guy told about cutting down ta dead tree from the kings property was pretty funny - the king wanted to charge him $500 for the tree. He told the king he was charging $500 for the service of removing a safety hazard. They settled on $50. :laugh:

In a State where a Tree Service needs a licensed operator on the job at all times like NJ having A license would be an asset. There are two types here in NJ LTCO and LTCE.

Back