on road diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can I run the off-road diesel in my chipper. When it is running it running off road. But it being towand on the road. So is ok in MA to run off road diesel in the chipper!? thanks for any find back Carl
yes, off road in your stumper, chipper, loader. On road in the trucks only.

A little bit of new, or filtered used veggi oil is a great additive for lubricity, as sulfer use to be the main lubricator for pumps and injectors and has been cut down dramatically. if your too skeptical of that then Howes' diesel lubricator additive is great, and also aids as a cleaner for injectors and valves. Anything that isn't a registered motor vehicle driving on town or state roads can run whatever you have. As far as the engines are concerned there is no real difference with fuel systems. Both can run on anything from home heating fuel to low sulfur, to bio diesel. Only main difference is exhaust, cats and particle filters. You could cut the diesel with kerosene in winter, very safe if you add too much its not going to harm anything. If you use home heating oil, just filter it out a little better before filling your tanks as most is a little more dirty than diesel. Its basically dirty #2 diesel, witch can also be cut with kero. I have done many of my own little studies with all this stuff, and more as I went to school for diesel mechanics and have been doing that in both repair and performance applications. And I do it with my own truck so I wouldn't tell you it if I hadn't tried it. And my truck is an '05' dodge w/ cummins, and no issues what so ever.

There are certain industries that are allowed to use it here as well. Commerical Fisherman, Some Logging Operations and Mining operations and Cities and Municpalities. All of them must use it on off road applications except cities and municipalities can use it for road repair (only with their own machines) Contractors are NOT allowed to use dyed fuel on any of their machines and the regulations specifically specify even if the machines are used in off road activies they must use non-dyed fuels.

that rule varies by COUNTRY, STATE , PROVINCE... every place has their own rules on how to grab TAX money !!!! in NJ , if it doesn't run the road,, you can use non tax fuel...i don't use enough to warrant a fuel tank,, so i just buy 20 gals at a time at the filling station...and pay the tax......

well imop i think they should keep enough sulfur to keep from damaging our engines or pay us to upgrade since they change the rules after we started playing the game. if it gets to the point of my old engine getting ruined or burning off road cause sulfer content is suitable. hhhmmm i be :censored: if i have to pay a fortune for the fuel and then have to buy additives so i dont ruin my engine. veggie mobile may be the way i go.

let the cops smell the donut grease as they chase me.....

What kind on additive do you use in your chipper if you have to use on road diesel ?I heard that you should not run on road diesel if you dont use a additive is this true ?
All diesel be it on or off road should have a supplement incorporated by you. Here's why: Store bought diesel is very hard on the motor, has high sulfur and deposit content, sometimes and often has high moisture content and can have a low- cetane. I you use a thing called Power Service supplement and even run their winter type , well in winter for the anti gel properties. Ford Powerstrokes however,like i drive, already have a pretty fail safe heated fuel system. It's nice to have the higher cetane a s well that a good supplement can add. Also if you're storin more than 50 gallons, and for long periods include a good Bio-Cide to protect against the build up of microorganisms in the fuel characteristic of storing diesel.

I've heard that the older dodge trucks with the mech. injection cummins are prime candidates for wvo conversions and runnin biodiesel as well. Any motor, be it a mech injected Bandit chipper with the cat diesel, tractor, etc., will run great in summer and fall on new or used filtered veg oil blended 25% petro diesel and 75% veg oil!! Don't run that ratio in the winter, for major gelling will occur. You guys with the brand new machines with warranties, listen up, now is the time to experiment with alternative fuels while you've got the peace of mind with the coverage. If you indeed experience a problem, don't tell them what you were doin with the fuel!

Check out this site!!!!

Here is a site all of you should look at www.solixbiofuels.com This stuff is going to be the future. They are developing systems to create biodiesel from certain species of algae. The best part is they can produce more fuel from tubes of algae covering the size of a two car garage than can be produced by a football field size area of soybeans. There is no competition with agriculture, so food prices won't be driven up because the food is being used for making fuel instead. And they build these "algae fields" around coal burning power plants and other plants emitting carbon dioxide and nitrogen dioxide, pump those gasses into the water filled tubes the algae is in and the algae not only feeds off of this mixture of gasses dangerous to us, it converts them into oxygen. There for it cleans up the air we breath before it even becomes a fuel. The oil this certain type of algae produces is equivalent to vegetable oil making it easy to convert to biodiesel. The by product can be used to make ethanol or even animal feed. Not to mention it can be reproduced rapidly (I'm sure you've all seen algae take over a pond quickly) and year round in climate controlled water filled tubes. And on top of all that no fuel is used to collect it, unlike all the fuel used to harvest corn and soy beans. In that method more fuel is used to produce the biodiesel than is actually produced. How does that decrease dependency on petroleum oil??? I found all this stuff about algae very exciting and interesting since I heard about it 4 or 5 years ago. Now more information is out on it and more is being done with it. I,m really hoping that this takes off. It can be a difficult process since the algae has to be in prefect conditions, but this company has the knowledge to make it happen. The algae fields they have set up, and are testing and developing look similar to a bunch of solar panels except that they are clear plastic tubes filled with water and algae soaking up the sun and the CO2. Its almost a totally automated system. I just want to see diesel prices back to affordable prices. This is all getting way out of hand!!!:dizzy:

Right on magnum!

I've done extensive reading and things on biofuels for a while now and the algae seems to be the most bang for the buck followed by veg based biodiesel and switch grass biofuels. The algae is the easiest on the environment and it's funny people still are stupid and closed minded and are like geez you mean you can do that, wow no way. But yet hundreds of thousands of people have been runnin veg based biofuels for 100 years! Rudolph Diesel said in the 1890's after he developed the first diesel engine(it ran on peanut oil) that biofuels would be the fuel for the future. Wake up America!

U.T. over here in knoxville,tn started a biofuel farm in Vonore<tn. and are growing switch grass for fuel production. If all goes well and it already is, the technology will be taught to local farmers and they can share in the growing of switch grass and deversify theirselves.:monkey:

All diesel be it on or off road should have a supplement incorporated by you. Here's why: Store bought diesel is very hard on the motor, has high sulfur and deposit content, sometimes and often has high moisture content and can have a low- cetane. I you use a thing called Power Service supplement and even run their winter type , well in winter for the anti gel properties. Ford Powerstrokes however,like i drive, already have a pretty fail safe heated fuel system. It's nice to have the higher cetane a s well that a good supplement can add. Also if you're storin more than 50 gallons, and for long periods include a good Bio-Cide to protect against the build up of microorganisms in the fuel characteristic of storing diesel.

Not true. California diesel is all ultra-low sulfur be it on or off road.

I've done extensive reading an things on biofuels for a while now and the algae seems to be the most bang for the buck followed by veg based biodiesel and switch grass biofuels. The algae is the easiest on the environment and it's funny people still are stupid and closed minded and are like geez you mean you can do that, wow no way. But yet hundreds of thousands of people have been runnin veg based biofuels for 100 years! Rudolph Diesel said in the 1890's after he developed the first diesel engine(it ran on peanut oil) that biofuels would be the fuel for the future. Wake up America!

U.T. over here in knoxville,tn started a biofuel farm in Vonore<tn. and are growing switch grass for fuel production. If all goes well and it already is, the technology will be taught to local farmers and they can share in the growing of switch grass and deversify theirselves.:monkey:

Diesel designed his motor to run on coal dust, not a liquid fuel. One of the big selling points of the first succesful diesels was that farmers could run the motor on cold pressed farm by-product oils. Nearly any oil worked in those early low speed diesels. I do not support growing crops for government subsidised fuel while many people in other countries don't have enough to eat.

Not true. California diesel is all ultra-low sulfur be it on or off road.
Any fuel from just about any comm. pump is going to be somewhat contaminated. The formula i use on my biodiesel processor far surpassed astm standards for ppm quality by the manufacturer! You can't tell me that what they sell at the pump station of yours with the 30 year old fuel storage tanks is cleaner than my biodiesel(filtered 3 times and water and bubblewashed 2 times) held in "brand new steel drums"! That crap don't fly here.
The american farmer is in more of a challenge now to stay in biz than ever before! Why not give em a way to create a usable cash flow from crops that can be easily turned into 100% enviro safe fuels and decrease the need to depend on a darn terrorist for fuel! This is a real epidemic and there are only a limited peoples, like myself trying to make things better for the country. It is people like yourself who don't have an open mind that cause many things to get snuffed, when in all actuality they were great ideas....proven great ideas!

Diesel designed his motor to run on coal dust, not a liquid fuel. One of the big selling points of the first succesful diesels was that farmers could run the motor on cold pressed farm by-product oils. Nearly any oil worked in those early low speed diesels. I do not support growing crops for government subsidised fuel while many people in other countries don't have enough to eat.
I don't know of any countries that eat algae and it in itself remains the most promising method of biofuels production. As a matter of fact, exhaust fed into a pond gives the algae carbon dioxide and the algae converts it into oxygen. Hmmm, maybe that might change your mind knowing that it would reduce greenhouse gases. We have people rihgt here whop don't have enough to eat, why worry about another country. If you don't want to stand behind American needs, just move over to the hungry country you speak of and help em out why don't ya!

Yes Clearview, ALGAE! ALGAE! ALGAE! All the big biofuel producers pretty much agree that making enough biofuel from corn, and or soy beans (or any other land based plant for that matter) just won't cut it! They will never be able to produce enough to really drive gown fuel costs. Algae DOES have the ability to fully replace America petroleum diesel consumption, and replace it with renewable biodiesel completely. But for now, Why the H### won't the money hungry A######'s in Washington step in and take care of the American people (like they're suppose to) and quit lining their pockets with money from big oil lobbyist's! Sometimes our government gets me so mad.:angry:

Why the H### won't the money hungry A######'s in Washington step in and take care of the American people (like they're suppose to) and quit lining their pockets with money from big oil lobbyist's! Sometimes our government gets me so mad.:angry:

That's a pretty fine line you're walking there.
The founders of our country stated pretty clearly that the sole purpose of the government is to ensure the liberties of the people, not take care of them.
I agree that too many politician's are lining their pockets in one way or another (1 would be too many). But it's up to the American people to take care of themselves. It's amazing how far we've strayed from what the founding father's intended. No wonder we're in such a mess.

Andy

I don't mean take care of us like we're a bunch of kids, but to do the job they were appointed to do. What we voted them in there to do. Represent us. I can take care of myself. But when it comes to issues like these, and they know whats going on up there (no matter what they say, they do) they should be looking out for the people that elected them to that position.

Yes Clearview, ALGAE! ALGAE! ALGAE! All the big biofuel producers pretty much agree that making enough biofuel from corn, and or soy beans (or any other land based plant for that matter) just won't cut it! They will never be able to produce enough to really drive gown fuel costs. Algae DOES have the ability to fully replace America petroleum diesel consumption, and replace it with renewable biodiesel completely. But for now, Why the H### won't the money hungry A######'s in Washington step in and take care of the American people (like they're suppose to) and quit lining their pockets with money from big oil lobbyist's! Sometimes our government gets me so mad.:angry:

Kind of a necropost but at least this thread is a sticky.

I have no problem with algal or other non-food biodiesel. The same goes for reclaimed oil like fryer oil. I am against the transition of food crops into biofuel. ADM and Monsanto are working to try to get their soy and corn patented as the gov't approved crops. Obama is in the pocket of both. Do you really want our gov't to subsidise huge industrofarming operations like ADM and Monsanto? Obama is likely to be another Clinton and block any and all oil drilling. With the stroke of a pen we can end up with more marine sanctuaries like we have here an California. Bad news for Americans.

Kind of a necropost but at least this thread is a sticky.

I have no problem with algal or other non-food biodiesel. The same goes for reclaimed oil like fryer oil. I am against the transition of food crops into biofuel. ADM and Monsanto are working to try to get their soy and corn patented as the gov't approved crops. Obama is in the pocket of both. Do you really want our gov't to subsidise huge industrofarming operations like ADM and Monsanto? Obama is likely to be another Clinton and block any and all oil drilling. With the stroke of a pen we can end up with more marine sanctuaries like we have here an California. Bad news for Americans.

RIGHT ON MAN!

Latest posts

Back