On The Way Home............short story of admiration.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cruising home to some country-music after working 12 hours one day this past week I see an incredibly slender older man, probably in his mid eighties, running an oldschool top-handle saw cutting a blackwalnut next to the county road that the Line-clearing crew had dropped into his field. His 1970's Dodge 4x4 pickup with hardly a piece of body panel left on it had maybe 10 pieces of small bucked limb-wood lying in the bed. I drove by really slow, waved and smiled thinking to myself; wow, what an incredible old fella, he's out here all by himself using the bit of energy he has left to get this firewood all rounded up for burning next winter. For some reason I kept thinking of the fella and all the chainsaw gear still in my bed from yesterday, and made a u-turn in the tar and chip road to head back to him. I bounced my pickup down into the ditch and over to where he was working, got out, and asked "how long you been out here"....no answer just a smile. I yelled "HOW LONG YOU LIVED OUT HERE"....he laughed and told me he's glad I'm yelling because he can't hear and most folks won't talk loud enough for him to hear. His reply was something like "Been out hear since about 30." Lived in that house most all my life". He non-chalantly showed me what size rounds he wanted and I got out the 346 to cut them up for him while he sat on the bed of his truck all smiles grinning from ear to ear. Said "really like the saw you got". I took that as an opportunity to get out and show him my 390 w/ the 32" bar. He looked at that thing and said "young man, I couldn't even pick that saw off your tailgate to use it". Walking back to his wood pile he loaded up small pieces and I loaded up the bigger ones. He would take a couple minute break every after every 3 or 4 pieces and I mean really small pieces, a little while and the wood pile was off the ground and into the bed of his beat up ol' Dodge. He reached out with a shaky hand and mine met his....he says "Virgil's my name what's your last name again?" I YELLED my last name at him again telling him it's the same as the road just a few miles east out of town.....we talked a bit more about locals I might know and about restoring old tractors and such before I parted ways and headed back towards home.

I guess I just felt compelled to share this with some of you, as odd as it may seem. Virgil just gave me a great awareness of how quickly time passes and that many of us take our health for granted during our younger years. Virgil seemed so happily content to be working outside in the field with his oldschool chainsaw at a pace so slow it would make any of us aggravated. The patience and diligence of his toil was finely crafted so he could continue to work many hours. When I think of him I admire him in a way that I hope I see myself in those same shoes when I come near his age. What a neat guy.

Virgil sounds like someone I'd want to meet and listen to if I was lucky enough to have him share some of his stories.

I tried to rep you for stopping and for posting that story, but I guess I gotta spread some around first before giving you more rep.

Thanks for the post.

:cheers:

I think that's great. Most folks around here don't slow down for anything. Reminds me of when we visit my wifes grandparents in east TN. Things run at a different pace down there. People will wave you over on the backroads just to talk to a stranger. Thanks for the story.

Reminds me of my old neighbor.He was the last farmer in the area. In his 80s and work everyday. Slow and steady had a dodge truck with a manual trans and an old dog named Bo. He was a very wise man with alot of knowledge to share. I miss him. If I was you Id drive by there all the time and make friends with Virgil and enjoy every minute with him.:cheers:

Almost bought a house next to a guy like that, been living in the neighbor hood 64 years. Guys like that tell the best stories, great people to talk to and help out. I do it cause I know when I'm that age someone will do the same for me.

Some of the best conversations I've ever had were with old "Virgils". The stories alone these guys know are amazing!

Good on you for helping the old guy out, and you didn't make him think he had to keep up with you. That would have been worse than just letting him do it himself.

That's the way my dad worked, slow and steady. But he'd get more done in a day than men half his age. "Pace yourself" he would tell me, "You can get a lot more done if you go slow and steady".

:cheers:

Glad I posted it. Glad you guys are in the same mind-set as me about the experiance. I was a little hesitant that it was going to come across silly.
There's still a few more piles of wood on his property along that road. I'm gonna keep an eye out for him on my commute's home for now on. Looks like the 346 is staying in the truck for awhile :)

very nice story man. i used to live across the street from a guy like that when i was young and live back home. he was a real nice guy he told some great stories. he wasnt really old by any means. i believe he was in high 50 to low 60's. his health went down the crapper real fast. he hung on for a few more years much longer than the doctors thought he could. his wife still lives there and everynow and then ill take my kids over to visit for a bit. she really seems to enjoy it as do we.

this just reminded me of a story me and my buddy (his grandson) got this idea. i think we were maybe 12 id that at the time. anyway he has this HUGE butt of a log that was left when they had some work done by the driveway. one day we decided we were gonna hammer and chisel our way through the whole log. needless to say we spent alot of time on it and hardly made a dent.

i remember talking with him when we were much older and he brought that up. i think he said something like i remember sitting here watching you stupid bastards (jokingly)trying to hammer through that tree. you tried for hours than he laughed. it was pretty funny he was a good guy.

^ fun post there 455. Good times for sure...no matter how menial they may have seemed then, looking back puts it in a neat perspective.

You did good!!!

All of us could slow down and enjoy the elderly more. I have always enjoyed my experiences with older "country" people during my younger years growing up. Some of my pleasant encounters have been asking older landowners to hunt, grandmommy and granddaddy, older neighbors that I would sit on the front porch talking to, and believe it or not sitting at McDonald's with the older guys. I just seemed to blend in and connect. I like the wisdom and the lack of competitiveness and the mellow personality that seems to develop more as aging sets in. Now that my dad has passed away I wish I had a new Virgil neighbor friend that I could connect with. Sad we have to grow old and feeble and eventually lose everything we have gained through life. The main thing like Virgil is keep the fighting spirit, stay positive, and enjoy life to the fullest for as long as you can. Again, good for you mgrchad.

Back