One handed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ever one hand a chainsaw?

• I NEVER use a chainsaw one handed.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I SOMETIMES use a chainsaw one handed.

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • I ALWAYS use a chainsaw one handed.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I've never used a chainsaw w/ two hands.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

okietreedude1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This seems to have creeped up lately so I thought I'd post the poll.

Yes, I use a saw one handed all the time. I know its not safe in certain situations, but oh well. I do try to use two hands and if I can, I do.

I ride my assistants arse that weild the thing like a sword. I dont want the injuries on my jobsite record and I dont want a groundie sittin at home drawing workers comp.

Ussing a saw one handed is taboo, yet in our airy jobsite, it is a mandatory skill that isnt addresed except underground. anytime one can use two hands, do so. but there will always be a situation that requires one han ded operation. I am always aware when I use my saw onw handed(let us remember the top handled saws are meant for one hand use) I pay attention to my push/pull tendincies.

i thought i read somewhere awhile back that the UK version of OSHA wrote up safety guidlines recognizing the necessity of one handed use in a tree ; therfore saying it happens anyway so there may as well be some guidelines for it. can anyone confirm this, because i am not sure where or whe i think i read about this.

In the poll, options #3 and 4 are identical. If there was an "often" I'd've voted for that; "sometimes" is pretty vague.

Good for the UK to talk about reality.

2 hands always recommended wherever possible.

Yeah once in a while... however I almost always ensure there is something between me and the saw. I.E. notching the underside of a limb while 'reaching out' just a little, then two hand the back cut. Working the other side of a limb etc. I'm a major brake user, always on off like a switch, off-cut-on. On those one handers I engage teh brake by bumping it against the tree when retacting saw. Never have the saw near me without that positive locking device engaged!

My bigger concern with top handles comes from experience (owch) Never engage the brake with the palm of your left hand (very easy to do) always the back of your hand (keeping your thumb wrapped around handle as per 'rules').

I got a wack of stiches in my left thumb when my hand missed the brake and hit the (idling down... thankfully) chain. SON of a !!!!!

In the poll, options #3 and 4 are identical. If there was an "often" I'd've voted for that; "sometimes" is pretty vague.

As the writer of the poll, I guess I can see the difference between 3/4.

3 is supposed to mean "I use 1 hand alot or quite a bit but I do use 2." I guess the always should have read as you sugested, "often".

4 was suggested to mean I NEVER use 2 hands. Like a dummy saying "Uhhhh.........duhhhhhhhhhhh....I dint know yous suposst ta put 2 hans on d' saw?"

Sometimes is like 'rarely'.

Hope this helps others out. And to those saying never -- yea, right.:rolleyes:

Back