An old saw changes hands...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
DSC00288.JPG DSC00287.JPG DSC00286.JPG DSC00285.JPG

Last week I was cruising the farm and garden section of craigslist as I often do - not looking for anything in particular but as is often the case I usually see something I wouldn't mind having if the price is right. Or I'll just type the words "chain" or "saw" in the search and see what comes up. So this time it was this old Homelite Super EZ automatic and it was only 10 minutes away and all they were asking for was $25 because the pull starter would not retract completely anymore and he was not sure it would start or not. I love tinkering with small engines so I contacted the fella and we arranged a time for me to come take a look at it. The man was selling it for his dad who I later found out was recently moved into an assisted living facility along with his wife. When I got there and he took me around back to the garage he began to tell me about his dad who's in his 90s and can't use his tools anymore like he used to. As he spoke about his father I detected the love and respect as well as the sadness in his voice about how difficult it was for his dad to depart with his tools:(. I let him go on talking because it was interesting to me to hear about the life of this saw before it ended up with me. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it if for no other reason it looked like a cool old saw. It appeared as though as tough as it was for the father to part with his treasured old tools, the son was having a bit of a struggle letting them go as well. All of which I totally understand. Anyway, I assured him I could fix the starter assembly and get 'er going again so we closed the deal and I took the ol' girl to her new home. It literally took less than 5 minutes to get the starter rope adjuster to the proper tension but i didn't want to try starting it without first giving it a thorough cleaning as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in many years. I poured out the old gas and used it to clean and soften the extremely viscous oil-soaked sawdust that coated everything under the covers. I gave it a good blowout with compressed air and put fresh fuel and oil in. She started on the 3rd pull and ran like it was brand new:D. So being the type of guy I am I took the time to write Mr Ingalls and inform him of the progress I'd made and to let him know that dad's old chainsaw is in good hands and will get a lot of use in the upcoming years the years;). A couple days later I received a reply from him and I could almost see the smile on his face as I read that he was so happy and was going to tell his dad that his saw had a new life and would get excellent care and maintenance in it's new home. And THAT'S the part that brought a smile to my face...knowing that his dad would be pleased:cheers:. The End

It's a very cool old saw. Oldest one I've ever owned and it runs and cuts darn good and everyone's happy. Be safe out there:heart: Oh and sorry if I'm a bit longwinded in telling what really is a short simple story...old habits die hard.

View attachment 464311 View attachment 464312 View attachment 464313 View attachment 464314

Last week I was cruising the farm and garden section of craigslist as I often do - not looking for anything in particular but as is often the case I usually see something I wouldn't mind having if the price is right. Or I'll just type the words "chain" or "saw" in the search and see what comes up. So this time it was this old Homelite Super EZ automatic and it was only 10 minutes away and all they were asking for was $25 because the pull starter would not retract completely anymore and he was not sure it would start or not. I love tinkering with small engines so I contacted the fella and we arranged a time for me to come take a look at it. The man was selling it for his dad who I later found out was recently moved into an assisted living facility along with his wife. When I got there and he took me around back to the garage he began to tell me about his dad who's in his 90s and can't use his tools anymore like he used to. As he spoke about his father I detected the love and respect as well as the sadness in his voice about how difficult it was for his dad to depart with his tools:(. I let him go on talking because it was interesting to me to hear about the life of this saw before it ended up with me. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it if for no other reason it looked like a cool old saw. It appeared as though as tough as it was for the father to part with his treasured old tools, the son was having a bit of a struggle letting them go as well. All of which I totally understand. Anyway, I assured him I could fix the starter assembly and get 'er going again so we closed the deal and I took the ol' girl to her new home. It literally took less than 5 minutes to get the starter rope adjuster to the proper tension but i didn't want to try starting it without first giving it a thorough cleaning as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in many years. I poured out the old gas and used it to clean and soften the extremely viscous oil-soaked sawdust that coated everything under the covers. I gave it a good blowout with compressed air and put fresh fuel and oil in. She started on the 3rd pull and ran like it was brand new:D. So being the type of guy I am I took the time to write Mr Ingalls and inform him of the progress I'd made and to let him know that dad's old chainsaw is in good hands and will get a lot of use in the upcoming years the years;). A couple days later I received a reply from him and I could almost see the smile on his face as I read that he was so happy and was going to tell his dad that his saw had a new life and would get excellent care and maintenance in it's new home. And THAT'S the part that brought a smile to my face...knowing that his dad would be pleased:cheers:. The End

It's a very cool old saw. Oldest one I've ever owned and it runs and cuts darn good and everyone's happy. Be safe out there:heart: Oh and sorry if I'm a bit longwinded in telling what really is a short simple story...old habits die hard.
Good on you man for taking time to write the gentleman and let him know the saw runs/cuts great. Nice old saw.

Back