one-handing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only been on this forum for a couple of days and I love it. I never knew there was such a big "one hand" vs. "two hand" debate. I'm going try and cut how I do "normally" tomorrow and see what I do. I know I'm somewhat evil, cutting one handed sometimes(left handed and right handed) but I not sure how much I do it. I think its good to always keep examing the way you do the things you do and try to improve yourself. I also worry about folks who adhere to the rules as if they were handed down by the almighty himself. I think everything is situational and its hard to judge other climbers based on written descriptions or even photos. Are some of the guys on this site blowing up photos to play "gotcha!" with other climbers and find any flaw in practice or PPE? Although, I must say a wire core flip line for line clearing work makes my testes suck back up into my body.

I think 99 percent of the time the argument is pure bullsh!t. That is, most of the stuff that gets one-handed isn't nearly large enough to put the bar in the "kickback" zone to begin with. But hey, what do I know.

It's obvious we've reached an impasse here: one side that believes it's possible to do the job day in, day out without one handing a saw, and one that doesn't.

I think we've reached a point where further debate is counter productive, and will only serve to annoy people. So what say we bag this thread before it degenerates into complete chaos and name calling for lack of any further intelligent discourse?!

Stumper said:
And therein lies a point of argument. Where does the higher risk lie? If it were always a matter of a few seconds I would accept the always use both hands argument more readily. Sometimes a simple one hand extension cut takes care of that one branch that would have required a swing, redirect, recrotching or all of those to get into position to use 2 hands. Sometimes getting into position to use 2 hands would require climbing on stuff that is inadequate for my weight. Is that safer? We can argue this forever. I agree that 2 hands on the saw is the best practice. I'll agree that too often we operate our saws sloppily and increase our risks. I personally have decided to not play the politically correct game. I one hand. I one hand because I deem it the wisest course in some situations. I also one hand at times just because I find it convenient and I am comfortable with the degree of control I have with one hand. Flame me , blame me, defame me but you will not shame me. People do stupid things with chainsaws. I DO stupid things with them now and then. ME onehanding MY climbing saw doesn't mean I'm being dangerous or sloppy :angel:

OK Justin, it sounds like we are in the same camp. I said I one hand on occasion. But I do not do it as a mtter of course. A concious descision that I've taken a few seconds to think about and rule out repositioning as the best way to go.

And i should have said

1. no man alive can control the force of a kickbak with one hand.

I went to work today...I must say this discussion made me a little more aware.Thanks everybody

If that's the only thing we did her, it's well worth the time.

Back