one-handing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Could some who is an experienced climber please explain what is wrong with using a top handed saw (020) with one hand and holding branches or pushing of tops whith the other hand? I know the "proper" way but honestly how many of you never ever one hand a saw? And not just "because its against the rules" arguement. thank you

Sure it's done, but it's not a good habit to get into. Besides being more dangerous, it will wear you out prematurely. I've stopped doing it as much, but I still do it. But I'm trying to stop...

That's a no-no!

:Eye:

I am with MB, I try hard not to do it, but old habits are hard to break.

I had a 1979 Asplundh dump with their original stickers that had an explanation of making a cut and it actually said that after the bar was into the wood that they were to use one hand!
I do it, too, when using the top handle saw. Hard habit to break.

Hey I'm new here(first post)but I thought top handled saws were designed for one handed operation and that was why the whole compact design worked.If you didn't one-hand the saw what is the advantage of it other than being smaller?I almost constantly use my 200t one handed especially when trimming:two hands would restrict movement and agility.I know its not as safe but I really don't see experts getting hurt since they know how saws react to certain enviroments.I climbed and trimmed about 40 streetside trees today for the city contract I'm working on and I barely realize I'm doing it the saws so light and balanced. In street work like that where you have to grab the limbs you're cutting(cars underneath ya know)and your boss is always trying to "make the numbers"I would never get any thing done if I religiously two-handed my saw.But as I and every body else preaches it only takes one mistake to ruin your day (or life)so I can't reccommed anyone doing it but thats kind of a disclaimer ya know?

As long as there are top handled saws to buy the practice of one handing a saw is not going to go away. I sit on the fence on this issue, this is the main reason I switched to a rear handle for climbing so I don't one hand a saw while climbing. Working out of a bucket I do a lot of one hand cut and pitch of small limbs, you have a lot more stable and positioning options than you do while climbing, and you can choose your cuts better than you can while climbing.

You can't have control 100% of the time when you one hand a saw , sooner or later you will misjudge the situation, the work piece might be heavier than you think, tangled up bad with a neighboring limb, will put more leverage on a cut than what you might be ready for, this list could go on and on. What appeals to you the most if things don't go quite right and that saw is going nine ninety and your holding on to that piece of wood. How about a cut wrist with some tendons cut, or a chewed up forearm or leg, or better yet, cut your life support system and fall out of a tree. These are the risks you take one handing a saw, QUESTION, Is it worth it yes or no.

Not one handing a saw will improve your saw cutting skills. Makes you better at Z type or snap cuts so you can use two hands to break the piece off and manipulate it easier, notch and hinge, under and over cutting for free falling limbs. It doesn't take that much extra to carry a small short rope on your saddle and use like a choker, beats one handed saw cuts. With the improvement in the handsaws we have today, one handing a chain saw shouldn't have to be done so much.

Like Mb said, it will catch up to as you get older, I think MB has shoulder problems, mine is more in the lower back, weight being transfered from arm to lower back from hanging on to heavy limbs one handing a saw while working out of a bucket, all because I thought I was being faster than not setting and using a rope. Nope not :cool:

Larry

Last edited:
How about...

1. If you get hurt doing it, you could get fired because it's against the rules.
2. If you get hurt doing it, your employer will pay more $ out in workers comp than you saved in time one handing, and then he'll fire you.

Those are the best ones I can think of. Still to young to feel the effects axeman and MB bring up.

The #1 reason not to one hand a saw in my book. The chain brake will not activate!
The other reason for a top handle saw..... It keeps your hands closer together, allowing you to position the saw in ways you couldn't with a rear handle saw, also, because your hands are closer together it cuts down on fatigue due to more effecient load distribution. I used to know some guys with rear handle climbing saws, their "smart hand" forearms were HUGE! That rear handle to them was just a way to stretch out and get a better reach with the saw.

Ny finest, great answer, my thoughts exactly. Ax-man, thanks for the concern. I would like to address your points in order. In regards to being stable in the tree, I feel real secure and stable with my viberg triple sole boots, spurs and my steel core scare strap. You can never have total control of any saw even with two hands. I always put myself out of harms way in case of a kickback. When you one hand you have to know where the other hand,like on the branch or above your head pushing the top. I know a guy who cut his fingers one handing because he wasnt thinking, have to be thinking all the time. I appreciate what you are saying about snap cutting branches (cut, cut and then snap it with two hands), but if you are pushing overhanging branches away from a powerline you have to be sure. As far as being faster, no contest. If you are going to one hand you have be alert. Why I posed this question is because when I took the utily arborist course one handing resulted in an automatic fail from the course. The instructor made it out to be a deadly sin but he couldnt even climb of of bed. Everyone I have ever worked with one hands, I just want to hear a good reaon why its so bad. Thanks

sounds like a lot of us are making the far to common argument of faster and easier to one hand. why do most mistakes and accidents occur?
sounds like the instructor had his brain in gear. I haven't one-handed in 4+ yrs. honestly. i owe credit to s. gere for that. he is a one of the most talented climbers i know and he told me once he had not onehanded in 6+ yrs. that was 4+ yrs ago. if he can do it, ican do it was my philosophy.
two handing will make you a better climber, i'm convinced of that. when you start two handing, lose the pole saw while climbing and you will become even better at climbing. when that happens, you'll begin to realize that you are having way more fun. also, you'll be doing better work in the tree. better cuts rather than dog ears...that's why you are doing this anyway right?

Why would you decrease your chances of having saw control by 50% by using one hand?? What about the limb you are one handing, wouldn't you have better control using two hands instead of one, guiding it where it is suppose to go.

Your freind got his fingers cut, wasn't thinking, have to be alert. I'd be willing to bet this guy said the same thing once.

Pushing limbs away from powerlines with one hand and one hand cutting with a chain saw, I did read this right I hope, wearing your spurs for stability, attached to the tree with a wirecore lanyard , scare strap.

I always thought the name of the game in tree work was safety, has that changed or did I miss something along the line??????????????????????????????

Larry

clearance said:
I just want to hear a good reason why its so bad. Thanks

The reason is you have to protect people from themselves. It's the same reason the cup holding your morning hot coffee has the warning label "caution hot".
Through carelessness, ineptitude, distraction or a freak combination of unforeseeable events, people get hurt. You can not protect them if they don't follow guidelines long enough to become proficient and make an informed decision; but manufacturers can protect themselves.

This is one of the bi-annual questions that pops up on arbo forums. Same reasons given for one and two handed use. So far, I haven't read any good reason for onesies. I've been pretty active on arbo forums for 7+ years so I've heard all of the reasons.

At the company I used to work for a climber cut his rope and fell. He was one handing.

If you ever want to justify an action, ask_______________________[fill in the blank with Wife, children, parents, sweetheart, family, the owner of the company, OSHA] and if anyone of them says NO, don't do it. Who do you owe your life to? Yourself? That's selfish. It's our obligation to take care of ourselves so that we're around for our friends and family.

I don't think one handing a saw is an absolute no-no. There are times when you are in an awkward position and need the other hand to hang on to either a branch or your rope, like in MB's picture. I will use two hands on the saw whenever I can, but will not hesitate to one hand my 020T. As far as cutting with one hand and holding the cut branch to toss with the other, I rarely do that. I will put a loop on the branch, grab that with my left hand and hold the loop and the top handle of the saw. After the cut, I will let go of the saw with my left hand while still holding the loop. I really don't trust myself to hold a branch, unless it is real small. Sure it is slower than cutting and tossing, but much safer.

Havent really heard anything new except for the one about the guy who cut his rope. Up here the rule is that you cant use a chainsaw unless you are secured with a resistant strap (steelcore) or 2 lines that can be cut i.e. ropes. ORclimber- how about you get laid off cause your too slow?alalarbor the brake on a 020, ms22works on inertia too Dbeck- it is easier and faster. I dont use a polesaw, sometimes I use an insulated pole pruner. I make proper cuts on trees I sidelimb, it took a little practice and if its a removal who cares. Ax-man how do you cut the branch and be sure that it wont "pop" before you can get your hands on it? And yes you read it right spurs, steelcore, one hand just like every other C.U.A. in the province. Xander-kind of insulting to group that under stupid tricks, guess you dont climb big conifers with hundreds of branches. I figure that if you spent all day roping off branches that you could have just thrown down you wouldnt be very productive.

Clear, first of all, might like to watch yourself. you seem to be getting a little on the bragging side of things here. Guys like that arent really liked much (from what ive seen) here.

Anyway, I too use a saw one handed, probably more so than I should. However, I do use it as it was made and that is for 2 hands. I know when Im beyond my one handed ability and if I dont need one for the saw and one for the limb and its not out of reach, Ive got both paws on the saw. If, in the case of line clearance, you have to back cut or under cut something to pull it back to you, isnt that what you have a hand saw for? If its dull, get a new blade. If you dont have a handsaw, get one. they're cheaper than a trip to the Emergency room. I have even used one in a bucket truck before!

I realize because I am in the residential sector of the job, time is money. But how much money are you making vs. spending if your off the job due to injury or if you one handed carelessness causes property damage?

Back