One more MAC 250 / Super 250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolas

Retired and messing around with old stuff...
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed over and over again probably but I just would like to know.... Is there really that much of a difference over 7cc's??? I mean it isn't much not like going from 80 to 100 it's only 7cc. Why do folks say this is one of the best saws MAC put out? I just don't see how this motor can be so much greater for the small displacement increase. Forget about the auto oiler and whatever else it may have over the regular 250 I'm just talking about the motor. I actually prefer a manual oiler over an auto oiler any day so what would make me want to get this saw over a regular 250? I have a 250 and think it is a really nice saw. I cut with it all the time and have no issues with it. Why would the Super 250 be so much better?

The added 7cc is only part of the story, there is significant difference in port timing, giving the Super a noticeable increase of power, particularly in the upper rev range.

Exactly. For a true comparison, run a 250, then a 380 for the stroke, then a Super 250 to add in the porting. The Super 250s were legitimate factory hot rods.

Ok you talked me into it now I'm on the lookout for a nice Super 250 to add to the small but ever growing collection. My yellow fever is getting worse I do believe... Browsing ebay and craigs list I don't see too many of the Super's around but I know sooner or later I'll find one. Thanks for the input...

Especially on CL, sellers often describe the saw as a '250' not realizing that there is a difference. Keep an eye out for a full wrap handle and a black carb cover, two semi-reliable model indicators for them.

BTW, if the S250 was not so special, why would Randy start a special 'Club' for them here?

The Super 250 Club

Parts interchanging between models can make ID difficult, this is a 250

McC250003.jpg

This is a Super 250. To get a proper ID, check the tag inside the airbox for 600100, serial prefix 12, A12.
If it is missing, the block number is blank on later models. :hmm3grin2orange:

DSC02188.jpg

Ad40FUEL.jpg

Parts interchanging between models can make ID difficult, this is a 250

How many Super 250's were made in contrast to just a regular 250? Are there any production numbers on these saws kept? I sure as heck don't see as many Supers as I do regular 250's. I hope to find a nice clean example to get my hands on. What is a fair price for a good clean Super?

250s were one of the longest single-model production runs Mac had. Probably over 100,000 made. Supers were likely a tenth of that or less.

Decent ones seem to fetch north of $200.

Back