One ticked off person!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
some of you may remember a while back when i made a post of the splitter i built. well came home from cutting wood this last sat and splitter was gone... so i sit with a full truck load of rounds that need split but no splitter, to make it worce. i am going to hardly get any insurence money for it. Even if i wanted to buy a splitter it will bever be good enough as the one i made for my self. heres a pic of the splitter.

guys,near ALL hitches on the market, have a place to put a lock thru--with the hitch in the locked position. also--the two bolts that go thru the hitch,put a spot of weld on there--makes it much harder for a thief and patience will pay off--someone around will have a big mouth, just put the word out in the right places--

guys,near ALL hitches on the market, have a place to put a lock thru--with the hitch in the locked position. also--the two bolts that go thru the hitch,put a spot of weld on there--makes it much harder for a thief and patience will pay off--someone around will have a big mouth, just put the word out in the right places--

hitch was welded not bolted, and also locked up and also wheels locked with a cable.. they wanted it bad.

Even if you lock the hitch down. There are simple way's around it. Like say using a smaller ball than whats required. And drive off and cut the lock off down the road. What I like to use is the covers that clamp themselves to the hitch.

Like this one: http://www.etrailer.com/p-UTL100KA/Trailer-Coupler-Lock---Universal---Keyed-Alike.html

mx racer,,

What part of Iowa do you live? I am from southern Minnesota and will keep my eye open around here for anything like that. Hope you find it, and for there sake, I hope the cops find them before you do..:deadhorse:

yeah that really sucks ,i cant stand thieves .looks like its built much better than most of the ones i see at the box stores for 2 grand

that sucks man I know how you feel. a few years ago I was putting up some crown mld in the master bedroom for the wife. i had done the cutting on the back deck and put my Makita 12" compound miter saw in the back of my explorer to use at my FIL the next day.
when I woke up the next day looked out in the driveway and saw the back door open a couple inches and had a horrible feeling in my gut. Went out to find the $900.00 saw gone along with a $250.00 skill saw and a $150.00 nail gun, man was I pissed. Police could do nothing and insurance told me if I claimed $1400.00 worth of items I could expect a nice increase in my premiums, so I tacked it up to experience and have chained down everything thats not nailed down ever since.

chuckling at myself...I feel like giving you condolences for your loss! I guess "that sucks" is more appropriate for a non-living thing.

That's the most professional looking homemade splitter I think I've seen.

I don't fabricate metal, is there a way you could make it so the hitch detaches easily and bolt it back on when needed? A lock like the one Stang linked to I just look at and think cordless sawzall. Two cuts and done, if it's not a busy place no one would notice. Just like they do when stealing catalytic converters.

Fewer people would have a hitch, especially if it had an odd bolt pattern to match up to.

For sure a kick in the teeth. Any identifying marks on it? When you file the Police Report, make sure you ask the cop to list any of the id marks on their index called NCIC. Even the engine serial number is something. This gives any department that finds it, or a piece of it, a place to return it to. Otherwise it ends up in the miscellaneous unidentified property slip in the yard of the department that locates it or is sold at an auction.

Best wishes,
Bob

I'd be madder than hell too!

I hate thieves with a passion! The worst part is it's somebody that knows what a good splitter is worth and has seen yours before, and knew it was worth the hassle to swipe, so it's likely somebody ya know.

Put an ad in the local shopper "Wanted- good woodsplitter price negotiable".
You might be surprised... it's worked before.

I hope ya get it back!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I know how you feel for sure ! A couple years ago a pair of dopers broke in my house while I was having coffee at Mc Donalds and got my Philips 42" Plasma TV. When I bought it the price at that time including tax was about $2,600.00.

I did have my serial numbers and manual when I placed a police report. To make a long story short I kept checking the pawn shops and found it 30 days later in one of them and got it back.

I hope you are as fortunate in finding that splitter. Those thieves could care less how much of a problem they create for their victims.

Nosmo

I'd be madder than hell too!

I hate thieves with a passion! The worst part is it's somebody that knows what a good splitter is worth and has seen yours before, and knew it was worth the hassle to swipe, so it's likely somebody ya know.

Put an ad in the local shopper "Wanted- good woodsplitter price negotiable".
You might be surprised... it's worked before.

I hope ya get it back!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2: My boss got his trailer back by searching craigs list.

Dude, that really blows. You will have a much greater chance of finding it your self. Check all pawnshops & CL in a couple hundred mile radius. Post "reward" posters up at the local feed & seed stores and auto parts stores. Keep checking every day for at least a month. Someone might buy it not knowing it was stolen, then actually do the right thing if they see a poster.
Thieves.....we need to go back to using a rope and appropriate tree.

RD

Hope you get it back somehow. I posted these signs on my property, my neighbors already know not to mess with me these are just for any stupid tweekers who think they found an easy mark....

That sucks I'll keep my eyes open. I live in northwest MO. Hope you get it back lookes real nice.

Back