Only Ash???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday a neighbor enlisted me to cut up a bunch of limbs that had broken off in the latest ice storm.
One of the trees that was damaged was a Bradford Pear.
While splitting the larger pieces with my splitter last evening I noticed the trunk was riddled with what looks exactly like EAB holes.
Does the Ash Borer attack any trees besides the Ash?
Is there some other critter that bores into Bradford Pears?
Is there anything we can do to eliminate them?
I'm certain that the rest of the tree is the same way.
The section that was broken off is about a third of the entire tree and he mentioned trying to save the rest.
Thanks for any help, and I did try the search but didn't find anything.

Mike

There are hundreds of species of borers. A dozen or more will attack pear/fruit trees. You don't say where you are. Most only attack distressed trees. EAB is different as it is virtually a death sentence for ash trees. Contact your county extension agent and they will help you with identifying and treatment.

There are hundreds of species of borers. A dozen or more will attack pear/fruit trees. You don't say where you are. Most only attack distressed trees. EAB is different as it is virtually a death sentence for ash trees. Contact your county extension agent and they will help you with identifying and treatment.
Around my parts Woodpeckers do a real number on pecan & pear tree's...:eek:

Around my parts Woodpeckers do a real number on pecan & pear tree's...:eek:
And they are making quite a comeback. Piolated woodpeckers were few and far between just a few years ago. This year while deer hunting they were driving me nuts.

The ranges and distribution of all insects is affected greatly by temperature and local terrain/weather patterns. I don't know about that far south.

The entomologist here at purdue are optimistic that this cold winter is cold enough up here to severely knock back the EAB

And they are making quite a comeback. Piolated woodpeckers were few and far between just a few years ago. This year while deer hunting they were driving me nuts.

The ranges and distribution of all insects is affected greatly by temperature and local terrain/weather patterns. I don't know about that far south.

The entomologist here at purdue are optimistic that this cold winter is cold enough up here to severely knock back the EAB

That would be good but it is a case of "too little too late" here.
There are literally hundreds of dying Ash on the farm where I cut my wood.

Mike

EAB holes...
Emerald-Ash-Borer-Hole3.jpg

Sap Sucker damage...
sapsucker-holes080928-6768orange-coz.jpg

Can look similiar, not the same.

Sap suckers, those little bastages cause some havoc around dees parts. Have a crab apple that I look after. Thing looks like it should just fall apart it has so many holes. But, every year it blossoms and look freakin awesome!

EAB only affects ash.......for now, but nature is awesome, if left alone, I believe they could evolve and move to another species. But that may take a while,lol!

This winter has not been cold enough to have any real impact on EAB. The studies that suggest this used only a cold chamber to test temperature sensitivity without consideration for bark and snow insulating effects as well as other microclimate effects found in the real world. The exception to this may be the more extreme northern latitudes, but for most of North America the temperatures have not been low enough.

As to the original question, there is the Agrilus sinuatus beetle that attacks pear trees. Their feeding patterns and exit holes are similar to what EAB does.

This winter has not been cold enough to have any real impact on EAB. The studies that suggest this used only a cold chamber to test temperature sensitivity without consideration for bark and snow insulating effects as well as other microclimate effects found in the real world. The exception to this may be the more extreme northern latitudes, but for most of North America the temperatures have not been low enough.

As to the original question, there is the Agrilus sinuatus beetle that attacks pear trees. Their feeding patterns and exit holes are similar to what EAB does.

Sorry for listening to the entomologist????. We had -20 degree temps for several days straight. I used the words "Here" and "serverely knocked back", not every where, and 50% is a significant amount.

https://ag.purdue.edu/fnr/GotNature/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=144

Us to the snow, but the bark only insulates so long and the temps "here" have been so if they were above the snow drift 1.5 feet tall, then hopefully their dead and we will get to enjoy some ashes for a little while longer.

Don't be sorry, but also don't miss the bigger point that the "entomologist" made:

The message is, unfortunately, the cold weather we experienced was probably not enough to solve our EAB problems.
and continuing
Here in Indiana, we need to continue to monitor, prepare, and act to limit the damage EAB will do.

Also...knocking back 50% of the population will not slow EAB down very much if at all. I know "how can you kill 50% of the bugs, and not expect a slow down". Because they spread SO fast. And because they are already everywhere. Think about it: they show up in a new town, first sign is in a small area. 2 years later, there are dead trees ALL over down. Now they are already all over town...only half as many in each tree.

I do agree, though, that it was not likely -20 below the bark. That may have been intended to be a limited scope study...not a including all variables.

Finally, EAB has been in northern Michigan for a while. I think if the cold was going to knock them back we would have already seen that???

Latest posts

Back