Only takes 30 seconds to have a saw stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad stuff will always happen... at least no one is hurt or died. Life throws stuff like this at us all the time.... just get past it quick and don't focus on it.

If you're paying for gas to put in that truck, you probably can put enough away for another saw. Consolidate your trips to town, ride a bike or walk for a little bit, and sell a few items on Fleabay. Used saws are cheap, and elbow grease can make them cheaper.

I'm sure you'll come through this just fine.

Save all that worry and lament for real troubles.. there will be plenty in your lifetime.

Do you really want to see your pride and joy all broken up and covered in road rash from a ride down the pavement? Move on and remember the good times and how she use to look and cherish that.... On second thought I hope you do get your saw back..

Today is one of the worse days of my life. .

I am sorry to hear about the loss, it is pretty maddening.

I really do sympathize and I get pretty emotinally attached to certain equipment and tools.

But I envy anyone that losing a few hundred dollar piece of equipment makes one of the worse days of their life.

Sometimes it takes a little time for things to work out in these situations.
About fifteen years ago, maybe a little more, I was playing music at the home of a friendly acquaintance in my town. He had a battered old Martin D-18.
He told me that he hadn't owned it for very long and that his brother had found it lying in its' case in the road. His brother didn't play so he gave it away.
I thought to myself, that was a lucky find and thought no more of it.
A year later, I was talking to a friend who owns an instrument repair shop and related the tale of the D-18. He told me that three towns away, there were signs up in the music store, inquiring about the lost D-18. The required contacts were made and the guy who was driving down the road in his truck with no tailgate, and his old Martin D-18 in the back, was happily reunited with his beloved axe.
This goes to show that God takes care of idiots and drunks, and it's safe to say that anyone who would transport their guitar so haphazardly would probably qualify for said benefits.
Not to say that anything in this story applies to this post, its poster or the posters pickup but it's food for thought.

File a claim, make sure you tell them is was stolen out of the back of your truck, which it kind of was!

Now that, would be a case of theft.

+2. That's one of the biggest problems in this world, imo. People don't want to take responsibilty for their own actions. And then they complain at how expensive insurance is. :monkey:
If he was to try to get money from someone it should be from the person at fault. (No offense to the OP. I'm only posting about the insurance post.)

Dont wanna fuss but you aught to take better care of your stuff and dont let other people do it for you..

i learned this along time ago aftermy mom chucked my xl 12 "cause it had no blade":dizzy:

try this, me and my dad were off to a site t ocut, limb and chip a tree, we also had t ogring the stump, we had the timberwolf on tow and the rayco in the back with the saws attached to the insides of the sides of the transit, we had to stop at the traffic lights we were there for about 5 minutes i noticed someone walk fairly close to the van and suddenly turn around and jogged off, he was wearing a bright green emo hoddie type thing anyway i thought nothing of it. When we got the the site we saw the tree, it was massive so i went back to get the 3120 husky and the ms880, i got the husky off one side and went to the other side to get the 880, it wasnt there, then it clicked, so i went and told the old man and he said we'll sort it out we got the job done with the 3120.
Anyway the next day i was walking down town to pick up my some climbing gear for the old man, i think they were boot spikes or spurrs, anyway outside the shop as i was walking out i saw a teenager roughly 17 years old go past on a chainsaw powered bike, he was wearing a green hoddie, and the saw powering the bike was a stihl ms880, so i chased and rugby tackeled him off the bike detached the saw which was held on by bungie cord and walked away. Its the 1st time i ever had a warning off the police. never had a saw pinched since :cheers:

Picking one up off of the road is not stealing, look in the lost and found
section, etc.

I agree. Two of the finest saws I ever had were ones I picked up on the side of the road out in the woods. One was a Pioneer P-42 and the other was an Echo 660.

Put the word out that you lost the saw. Hit local bulletin boards and pawn shops. If it has sentimental value, then offer a small cash reward.

One way to look at it is that falling from a moving truck probably wrecked the saw and trying to get it repaired would be more expensive than buying a nice (used) Husky.

Recommend looking for a Husky 350.

Today is one of the worse days of my life. I was going out to my friends camp in upper Michigan to clear a fire break around his cabin and my husky 45 fell outta the box of my truck. MY step daughters were loading some thing in the box of my truck, then proceeded to argue over who had to close the tail gate. Going in the house and watching a worthless Mary Kate and Ashley movie was more important than my saw I guess. I would've:mad::mad: done everything myself, but I can't be omnipresent. By lions park in Hancock,MI it fell out. The wife turned around less than 4 blocks later and went back and it was already swiped. Even since I was 7 and my father got his 380b I have wanted a husky of my own. This saw was one of the only dreams I have actually gotten to fulfill in my life. But thanks to some jerk the dream is dead. I cant afford another saw now and I don't think my old homelite super ez ao is gonna cut it for what i gotta do. I allays loved that 45, good balance of power and size, light too. So much for dreams. I work my finger to the bone and bleed to get that saw. Only got to enjoy it for 6 months. Too bad they are almost impossible to find used.

If that's one of the worst days of your life, then be prepared, you've either been lucky in life or you are still a spring chicken.
From reading your post, it seems you are after the sympathy votes and a wipround from the members. It may be true what you say, but it's still your own fault, so it's just tough titty.

File a claim, make sure you tell them is was stolen out of the back of your truck, which it kind of was!

Now that, would be a case of theft.

Yep... that is insurance fraud... crap like that is why insurance premiums are as high as they are.

Just because your load wasn't secured isn't the fault of the finder. If you were in WA state and someone reported you for having "debris" fall out of a moving vehicle... it's punishable up to $2,500 bucks and/or 90 days in jail.

Good luck with finding the cat that "stole" your saw... :rolleyes:

Gary

When the person taking it sees you coming to pick it up I sure as hell call it theft.lol And yes I know all about unsecured load tickets, my familly works in construction. I have never had a unsecured load before this. And as for the other guy when you work as hard as i did for the saw it means alot to ya

Reading the original post, I am a bit fuzzy. Your wife was driving your truck?

Where were you? How did she know that the saw fell out? Why did she go 4 blocks before turning around?
Your step daughters always check your load?

How fast was she going when it fell off? Was this a busy road? Gravel?
Mud? When she arrived at the point where the saw fell off, was anyone around? Was this in a populated area? What was the speed limit?

Who are you mad at?

All really good questions.............

Check around

I was born and raised up there. My dad went for forestry in Houghton at the college. What I remember is there were alot of good people up there. Try putting something in the paper or maybe craigs list. Never know.

Sorry to hear about that. And a POX on the guy that picked it up!

Come to think about this do any of you engrave your saws with like your name or licence number? - like so it's really obvious?

Havent thought about engraving. Guess because I dont know if I will always own the saw. But have seen names put on by sharpies. But they rub off pretty easy with some cleaner. I do keep a record of serial numbers on all the saws. Just in case.

To the OP, sorry for your loss. Some days life just stinks. Hopefully the saw might turn up somewhere. But that is why it is important to check your loads for yourself. I am overly cautious, especially when I put over 1500$ worth of saws in the truck.

Reading the original post, I am a bit fuzzy. Your wife was driving your truck?

Where were you? How did she know that the saw fell out? Why did she go 4 blocks before turning around?
Your step daughters always check your load?

How fast was she going when it fell off? Was this a busy road? Gravel?
Mud? When she arrived at the point where the saw fell off, was anyone around? Was this in a populated area? What was the speed limit?

Who are you mad at?

All really good questions.............

Fish remember when were kids. I had that Almond Joy candy bar fall out of my back pocket in the school hallway, remember that? Remember how I found out later you found it and ate it. I asked you about it and you grinned like a pig in slop, you remember what you told me, you said "finders keepers, losers weepers"

I think that applies to this saw falling off the truck. BTW, I haven't forgotton about that candy bar. One night you are going up in smoke buddy,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Fish remember when were kids. I had that Almond Joy candy bar fall out of my back pocket in the school hallway, remember that? Remember how I found out later you found it and ate it. I asked you about it and you grinned like a pig in slop, you remember what you told me, you said "finders keepers, losers weepers"

I think that applies to this saw falling off the truck. BTW, I haven't forgotton about that candy bar. One night you are going up in smoke buddy,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It didn't have a wrapper, and it didn't smell like a candy bar.........

Besides, I just accidently stepped on it................

Don't you let anything drop?????????????

other than, ahem, candy bars???.............

Back