Only takes 30 seconds to have a saw stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't have a wrapper, and it didn't smell like a candy bar.........

Besides, I just accidently stepped on it................

Don't you let anything drop?????????????

other than, ahem, candy bars???.............

It hasn't been that long ago, what only 45 years, gonna take alot longer than that for me to forget anything. Betty Sue told me you gave one half of that candy bar to her trying to get in her pants, man thats low Fish, I would have offered her the whole thing,LOLOL

First off, there is, to my knowledge, no "Lion's Park" in Hancock. I assume you mean the Hancock Beach (& campground) on M203 just on the edge of town (Towards McLain SP).

I suggest you contact both the Hancock Police and the local Husky dealer, Ward's Husquvarna in Dollar Bay.

I'll bet Ward's will at least put up a sign in the store.

Posting a small reward would be fair. Putting an add in the Daily Mining Gazette (local paper) might help.

My FIL & Wife's uncle both live about 3 blocks from where I think you lost the saw, so I'll spread the word.

Alan

I'm the first to stop and pick up stuff on the road

I'm the first to stop and pick up stuff on the road.

I have a well used 1lb hammer that I got off of the road. My first thought was.....someone is missing a hammer.....but...what is the chance that they will be back ......and if I don't pick it up someone else will.

I was going to a MN Twins BB game. Walking around the dome, I look down and there's a $20.00 bill looking at me. Now, what's the chance of finding the owner? I bet I could find 20 "owners" in 20 seconds if I asked if anyone lost a 20. Now, if I saw a person drop it, that's another story.

I was going to work and was stuck on a metered on ramp to the freeway. I noticed the truck in front of me that there was a pair of gloves sitting on the bumper. I got out of my car and handed them to the driver. He was supprised! However, he waived to me as he drove off.

A chainsaw would be the icing on the cake.......If I don't pick it up the next guy along will.

Make sure things are nailed down!

Just be glad that it didn't hit any other vehicals, or for that matter go through a windshild and kill soneone! That could one up being a worst day.

Dan

Yep... that is insurance fraud... crap like that is why insurance premiums are as high as they are.

Just because your load wasn't secured isn't the fault of the finder. If you were in WA state and someone reported you for having "debris" fall out of a moving vehicle... it's punishable up to $2,500 bucks and/or 90 days in jail.

Good luck with finding the cat that "stole" your saw... :rolleyes:

Gary

Gary is always right on target. And in this case, the saw would really have to be defined as lost, rather than stolen. Plus, the guy who found it laying in the road, had no way of knowing how long it was there. Could have been 5 minutes, and it could have been an hour.

Got a little "finders/keepers" story here. A half dozen of us were sitting in the local pub. Everybody knew each other. Another local waked in, and announced that he had just found a wad of money in the parking lot. Not in a wallet or anything, just cash, so no way to ID it. (about $200) But we all knew, that it was one of "us" but not anyone that was still present at the bar. We all talked about who had left in the past 1/2 hour or so, and narrowed it down to 2 guys. Bartender called them both up, and sure enough it was one of them.

Every one of the guys in that group would have done exactly the same thing, in that particular situation, as we all did. No one ever suggested that the guy just keep the money. But while we were all feeling good about how honest we all were, I said, "But what if that money was laying in the parking lot at Wal-Mart?" It was instantly different then. We all would have kept it. The difference? In the local situation, there was both a good chance that we actually knew the person who lost it, and that we could actually find him. In the other situation, it would be much harder to find the owner, and someone at the store would likely pocket the money themselves.

Pilots

This takes all of 30 seconds for a pick-up.

Pilots do a thing called a walk around.

They walk around the aircraft prior to a flight just looking for anything damaged, out of place or leaking. An aircraft walk around is not 30 seconds but it is still time well spent.

=============

Where I used to work that rubbed off on us.
Its a good habit if you're doing wood cutting etc.

A scrench left on a tailgate..............

Truck Drivers

This takes all of 30 seconds for a pick-up.

Pilots do a thing called a walk around.

They walk around the aircraft prior to a flight just looking for anything damaged, out of place or leaking. An aircraft walk around is not 30 seconds but it is still time well spent.

=============

Where I used to work that rubbed off on us.
Its a good habit if you're doing wood cutting etc.

A scrench left on a tailgate..............

Truck Drivers do pre and post trip inspections.
If it is under your control,
It is your responsibility.

Wish everybody practiced this.

Today is one of the worse days of my life. I was going out to my friends camp in upper Michigan to clear a fire break around his cabin and my husky 45 fell outta the box of my truck. MY step daughters were loading some thing in the box of my truck, then proceeded to argue over who had to close the tail gate. Going in the house and watching a worthless Mary Kate and Ashley movie was more important than my saw I guess. I would've:mad::mad: done everything myself, but I can't be omnipresent. By lions park in Hancock,MI it fell out. The wife turned around less than 4 blocks later and went back and it was already swiped. Even since I was 7 and my father got his 380b I have wanted a husky of my own. This saw was one of the only dreams I have actually gotten to fulfill in my life. But thanks to some jerk the dream is dead. I cant afford another saw now and I don't think my old homelite super ez ao is gonna cut it for what i gotta do. I allays loved that 45, good balance of power and size, light too. So much for dreams. I work my finger to the bone and bleed to get that saw. Only got to enjoy it for 6 months. Too bad they are almost impossible to find used.

I'm really sorry to hear this, but you gotta have some perspective. You should have secured your tools, not blame children for being children. I don't rely on anyone but myself to make sure my gear is secure.

And if this is the worst thing that has ever happened to you then you must have led a sheltered life.

Move on; get another saw...life will continue.

Last edited:
All good, well thought out observations.

Would still like to hear at least a couple of responses to my earlier questions.

How did the wife know where it fell off? Why did it take her 4 blocks to turn around?

I had a TV still in the box blow out of the back of my truck, and I knew it right away, my daughter was not involved, and I knew it was my fault,
but I turned around right away.

They heard it fall out.lol why she didn't turn around sooner i have no clue? whats done is done, thought i could trust my daughters to be responsible, oh well. we all learned a lesson. Looks like a 380 will be replacing it, a bit heavier I imagine, but I'll like the power. Going to check it out Tuesday. Now the problem is what to sell to get the $ to buy it.lol Lost a lot in my divorce to make it fast.lmao At least I found a good finnish wife up here in the north woods, hell she runs saw too. Losing a saw is like losing a testicle, but unlike balls saws can be replaced. I forgot to edit my profile, i am a yooper now. loving upper michigan.

Last edited:
A while back I lost my Grandfathers ported 044 off the back of a flat bed f250 on our driveway.
needless to say I was havin fun with the chip in that particular fode, get the mail down the highway, come back and about 1/3 a mile from the homestead I saw a Stihl orange filter cover in the road.
Filter and everything with it was jank. tank had a seep in it. 3/4 wrap had been bent in allmost to the clutch cover, and the operation lever was garbage.

i fixed that saw and tuned it, have no idea what its up to now...

Sure is my fault for not checking the tailgate and trusting the girls. Just found out who got it. Some local thieves were bragging bout it in school to my step daughter, and followed us to steal it when we stopped. Being my stepson knows em and all the trouble we've been having with him breaking in lately it makes alot of sence.lol Now its a saw, lots broken on my truck and a genorator i lost to him.lol Wish there was real law enforcement round here. At least it can all be replaced someday.

they actually followed you just to steal a saw out of the bed???

Kevin, there are a few things you need to realize about the UP

First, you are from "away". There is no respect for you right now, so keep your stuff on high alert. Even in Houghton/Hancock, which is slightly more progressive due to MTU being there, people aren't going to give you a lot of respect.

Second, yes there isn't a lot in law enforcement, and people LIKE IT THAT WAY! Only a handful of Staties, some local, and the Woodscops. That's it, and it isn't bad. You need to be your own cop: talk to these kids (if they are under 18, have coffee with the parents at the Kalieva) and talk about your saw. But don't just jump into it. You need to build ties in this community, and right now, you are not coming across right. More than likely, the parents don't know where it came from, and you will get it back (and the kids will get their a$$ whooped for being a thief, unless they are scumbag parents, then your hosed anyways). This is a group of people who are fiercely independent, and you are still a potential "threat" (see the first comment). If I park on the side of the road in MN, I get a cop pulling up behind me in 15 minutes wanting to know WTF I am doing. (Seriously, happened just last week. Told me I can't be there, even though it was the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, and not on an Interstate).

Third, why the hell did you move TO the Yoop? I lived there for 23 years, and had to leave 12 years ago because I wanted to actually have a job that paid something. Sure, you can buy a house for $80K, but when you make $10/hr, it just isn't worth it. Granted, it is an outdoor wonderland, but you gotta eat. If I ever get financially "free", I would move back, but I can't count on that place to make a buck (just hunt them).

My $0.02

Shane

Sure is my fault for not checking the tailgate and trusting the girls. Just found out who got it. Some local thieves were bragging bout it in school to my step daughter, and followed us to steal it when we stopped. Being my stepson knows em and all the trouble we've been having with him breaking in lately it makes alot of sence.lol Now its a saw, lots broken on my truck and a genorator i lost to him.lol Wish there was real law enforcement round here. At least it can all be replaced someday.

Probably not worth getting shot over a $150 saw, but I'd be doing some research to try and figure out where the saw is. Madhatter is right, if the parents are decent (not likely if they're raising thieves....) you'll probably be getting your saw back. If they go to pawn it, do you have any proof of ownership that will get it back for you?
My girls are not teenagers yet, but I can already see how one would be preoccupied while dealing with them and trying to get something done. They also leave things (mine and theirs) lay around alot, and have no idea of the value of a chainsaw (or anything else for that matter :taped:) I'm sure your wife feels bad about this. I hope you can get the saw back, with a little lesson about protecting what's yours for everybody.

First, you are from "away". There is no respect for you right now, so keep your stuff on high alert. Even in Houghton/Hancock, which is slightly more progressive due to MTU being there, people aren't going to give you a lot of respect.

Second, yes there isn't a lot in law enforcement, and people LIKE IT THAT WAY! Only a handful of Staties, some local, and the Woodscops. That's it, and it isn't bad. You need to be your own cop: talk to these kids (if they are under 18, have coffee with the parents at the Kalieva) and talk about your saw. But don't just jump into it. You need to build ties in this community, and right now, you are not coming across right. More than likely, the parents don't know where it came from, and you will get it back (and the kids will get their a$$ whooped for being a thief, unless they are scumbag parents, then your hosed anyways). This is a group of people who are fiercely independent, and you are still a potential "threat" (see the first comment). If I park on the side of the road in MN, I get a cop pulling up behind me in 15 minutes wanting to know WTF I am doing. (Seriously, happened just last week. Told me I can't be there, even though it was the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, and not on an Interstate).

Third, why the hell did you move TO the Yoop? I lived there for 23 years, and had to leave 12 years ago because I wanted to actually have a job that paid something. Sure, you can buy a house for $80K, but when you make $10/hr, it just isn't worth it. Granted, it is an outdoor wonderland, but you gotta eat. If I ever get financially "free", I would move back, but I can't count on that place to make a buck (just hunt them).

My $0.02

Shane

Well said, former Yooper here and would love to return but need to have a real job. I think that would be the right thing to do is feel out the parents and go from there. My dad would have cut me up with the saw and then returned it to ya promising it won't happen again.
No, they don't seem to care for outsiders UP there. Takes time. Just don't got off getting anyone riled on any hersay at from kids at school. Do you have proof they have it? Proof that you own it? A serial number? Distinguishing characteristics?

Hi folks, being from elsewhere, I have no idea what is being said here

My $0.02

Shane

Are you basically saying it's a rough nut area full of thugs?

No, not at all! It is an awsome place. There is not much law enforcement because it is not needed.

Hey Aldo,

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is one of a few "rugged" areas left in the United States (other pockets around too, like Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, etc).

This area was settled and was very slow to grow up. About 100 years ago, the only reason people came there was to mine ore (copper, iron, etc) or to log (huge reserves of maple at one time).

Was sort of a "wild west" attitude. A lot of Welsh, Fin, Swed, Italian, and Irish immigrants settled there, and were very happy not having a lot of "interference" from anyone else. Never been a big law presence, as there are ~ 19 people per square mile there. Where I lived I was in the "big city" where it was ~ 35 people/mile, and also in the "sticks" which was ~ 4 people/mile. The three biggest towns there are less than 20K people, and there are only 12 towns over 4,000 people. So, there is a whole lot of nothing up there. Kinda like your outback. If you think about some of the prospector folks that do opal prospecting in Oz, you are probably pretty close to a Yooper. Paranoid, don't like most folks, and want to just be left alone.

Clear as mud? :D

Latest posts

Back