OOOPS What do I do now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Edgar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been fishing around this site for a few days and thought I would post a few questions. I am an inexperienced sawyer at best but I have been around chainsaws most of my life. When I was about 11 my grandfather and I started clearing 80 acres in southwest Missouri. We started with a log truck and cut sawlogs off of it till all the big stuff was gone. Then we sold the truck, bought a flatbed and started cutting cord wood for a charcoal kiln. By the time I was in high school we were cutting firewood in a pick-up truck. When I graduated and moved away it was an excellent cattle pasture. No heavy equipment touched that land.
I rarely used the saws, I got to do the fun stuff, brush piling, loading, servicing and refueling the saws then carrying them back to the woods. So that is my experience with chainsaws, until about 4 years ago when I ran on to a 038AV in a pawn shop for $80. I thought “I need a saw” so I bought it. I replaced the oiler worm gear and cut a few ricks of firewood with it.
2 years ago I got the opportunity to buy an overgrown 40 acres here in Oklahoma and I thought maybe I could do like my grandfather and I did when I was younger. I bought the land, grabbed the 038 and went to work. The timber down here is a little smaller than up in Missouri but there are some good sized post oaks and red oaks. Most of it is hickory and blackjack, with quite a bit of cedar. My idea is to have the red oaks sawed into flooring for the house, and to sell some cedar logs and make fence posts with the little stuff. Then sell the junk oak and hickory as firewood.
After about 6 months of using the 038 it really became a chore to use. It is awfully heavy and stopped idling. It also would take a half dozen pulls to start when it would die. It became pretty exhausting. So I went up to the local Stihl shop to see if I could have it worked on. He raved about what a great saw it was, then said it was older than I was and that we could never find parts for it. He then sold me a new MS290 with the advice that it won’t last a lifetime like the 038 and is not nearly has powerful but it will not wear me out and cut anything as long as I don’t burn the clutch up. (I know I am a sucker)
Fast forward to last weekend, I was out clearing a bunch of brush and elm saplings. I would take the 290 and cut down stuff too big for the brush hog then set the saw out of the way and mow down the brush. You know what happened next, WHAM, I ran over the saw with the brush hog. It disintegrated; I had to pick up the pieces in a 5 gallon bucket. Back at the house, I was consoling myself in a few beers when I thought, “I wonder if the 038 will start?” I walked out to the barn and grabbed the 038 which had been sitting on the shelf for over a year in a puddle of bar oil. I put fresh gas in it and pulled it about a dozen times before it busted off. (Note: Alcohol and saws don’t mix I know but the 038 was missing its bar and chain) I reved it up a few times. Man, I had forgotten how well that thing would run it is no comparison to the 290. I set the saw on the ground and it promptly died. I grabbed the pull rope and it broke.
So oops I destroyed my new saw and I am starting over from scratch. Do you think I should fix up the 038? Now that I know I can actually get parts for it, I was thinking instead of buying another midrange saw I would buy a small saw and restore the 038 for the big stuff. I borrowed a cheapy little echo from a buddy once and that thing was a dream to cut firewood with. If you think that is a good idea do you have any recommendations on a good small saw, new or used? I’m not set on a Stihl. My grandpa used to carry around a big Husqvarna 4?? XP all day and I don’t know how he did it. There is an 028 on craigslist here for $200? Should I go smaller there is also an 011? The echo was tiny and had a 14 inch bar on it and was a breeze to use.

Make up a parts list on your 290, there are a TON of used parts out there available for them. As for the 038, put a carb kit in it, i'd replace the fuel line and check out the boot and run it. If you are unable to perform these things on your own, just ask, we'll alll help ya out the best we can.
Edit: I guess i missed the part where the bush hog ate it. damn.

Last edited:
I'd go with something in the range of a Husqvarna 346 or 550. Especially because the trees you are cutting are rather small. They have superb handling, are reliable and have plenty of torque.

Put a carb kit and new fuel line on the 038. Check the other items like the carb boot and not sure if that saw uses an impulse line or not but all those items mentioned are not going to break the bank.

If the 038 stalls at idle and is not reving high on its own then you more than likely have a fuel delevry problem.

I'm betting you dont have to do much to the 038 to get it to run. First though I would pull the muffler to make sure it isn't scored before you spend any money on it.

If piston is good do carb kit.

For what it is worth

I feel your pain with saws. stoke of bad luck.

I'll get flamed :angry2: for this, but I am not a big fan of the 290. Heavy and underpowered. You 038 was a great saw, but there are other great saws out now that make it look a bit dated. Staying with Stihl, the new offering would be a 362 however it weighs just as much as that 290 did. you did mention that you wanted to keep the weight down. But can you still get some power outta the thing? I was a big fan of the 260, but again 50cc really ain't enough.

Might look at the Husky's or Dolmar.

The Husky 55 is a well respected saw. It would fit in the middle at 55cc. Just a thought.

-Pat

Make up a parts list on your 290, there are a TON of used parts out there available for them. As for the 038, put a carb kit in it, i'd replace the fuel line and check out the boot and run it. If you are unable to perform these things on your own, just ask, we'll alll help ya out the best we can.

Uhhhhh I found the 290's piston 50 yards away from the crank which was laying next to the mangled case. I don't think the 290 can be saved. :msp_rolleyes: But I think I can work on the 038 myself. I can remove and replace I just have never been good at troubleshooting small engines. The 038 needs a new chain and bar,new AV mounts, and a pull rope for sure. It starts and runs but as it warms up it wont idle and takes a heck of a lot of pulls to restart. Where is a good place to get parts? The local ACE hardware has a small engine shop and sells Stihl but they could not get any parts for this saw. They said they could no longer even get an air filter for it.

The 038 is heavy, but has the reliability of a battle axe. If it has a Bing carb the kit will be pricey. Other than that the parts are easy to find and affordable. Keep the 038 alive.

Uhhhhh I found the 290's piston 50 yards away from the crank which was laying next to the mangled case. I don't think the 290 can be saved. :msp_rolleyes: But I think I can work on the 038 myself. I can remove and replace I just have never been good at troubleshooting small engines. The 038 needs a new chain and bar,new AV mounts, and a pull rope for sure. It starts and runs but as it warms up it wont idle and takes a heck of a lot of pulls to restart. Where is a good place to get parts? The local ACE hardware has a small engine shop and sells Stihl but they could not get any parts for this saw. They said they could no longer even get an air filter for it.

Yeah, I missed the part about the bush hog being overly hungry and ate it. That sucks. I have a ms250 that i like for the small stuff, also an 009 and an echo. Ran my shindy 488 for a bit in the woods today and it was nice and light, easy to carry around and works woners on the small stuff.

If you like stihl, and have a good dealer, and you aren't mad at him for selling you a 290, Go Buy Yourself A ms261.

038 is a great saw. Northwood Saw is a sponser here and can probably get you everything to fix it. Bing carb kits are cheap on ebay, I think I paid less than 10 bucks.

Sounds like a lovely finish for the 290.

My very first saw was a used 038, a Long Time ago. They are Great saws, but old enough that you may find yourself chasing air leaks, and other 'minor' problems. If you enjoyed tinkering on it, and didn't mind obtaining a few simple job-specific tools, it would be a fun project.

If you just want to cut wood, a new or near-new saw is in order.

A good 50cc pro saw would be a prime candidate, esp since you've stated that the 038 was getting "tiresome".

My personal pick for a new, pro 50cc saw would be a jonsered cs2153, but there are a number of Very Good 50cc'ers out there, and lots of opinions, (and valid reasons for those opinions) out there.

Sorry to hear of your 'Hawged Saw.

Be Safe.

so I notice people are recommending 50cc saws. Is any thing smaller, too small? I was thinking about a 30cc range just for limbing and saplings then using the 038 for bigger stuff.

Power Head Only (PHO) weights.

Light Saws (generally 45cc and lower) should be 10# and less (preferably 9.5# and less).

Very light saws are under 9#.

Ultra light saws can go as little as 6.6# (advertised).

They have their place, for sure. But if you ever ran a Really Good 50cc'er, you'd "get it".

You need to decide what the saw needs to do and that will determine the size. Once that is established you can set your budget which will determine new or used, pro or consumer grade. Personally I would go with a bigger powerhead and a couple of bars that you can swap out depending on the job that needs to be done. Running a shorter bar will make for a better balanced saw.

A couple of Lightweight/Ultra Light saws that I find interesting are:

RedMax GZ4500

Echo cs271t

so I notice people are recommending 50cc saws. Is any thing smaller, too small? I was thinking about a 30cc range just for limbing and saplings then using the 038 for bigger stuff.

30 cc's is fine for what you're wanting and they weigh almost nothing. I have saws from 30 cc up to 100. They all have their place.

Some of these guys would fire up an 066 to prune a rosebush. :msp_wink:

Yeah, some idea of the size and quantity of what you will be cutting would be good. From your description it is hard to tell, but overgrown and cedars doesn't make me think of stuff that is too big. I try to use the smallest displacement saw that will do the job, and find I can do most of my firewood gathering with a light 40cc saw. Your idea to fix the old saw for the big stuff and add a small one might not be a bad way to go.

You can always pick up a used larger saw for occasional use, there are so many out there.

Get a Dolmar 420, Husqvarna 445, Efco 147, Echo 400 or similar. Should be sufficient for your needs. Although the best build quality is by far the Dolmar.

If you have money to spare a Stihl 241, Husqvarna 545 or similar would be nice!

Latest posts

Back