opened up a big can of worms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helimech

certified donk
Reaction score
well i got a seized ms440in a junk sale and its missing a lot on the out side thats fine. but man i opened her up and it stunk of varnish and the cranks all rusted......guess ill be getting a used crank from the parts guys or who ever has one for a god price. i would post a pic but dang it wold make ya cry

anyone got a crank or know where i cold find one besides ebay?

The crank is THAT bad that it cant be cleaned up at all? Also, what fun would this stuff be if we all didnt open a can of worms once in a while. I think i found AS due to a can of worms..

Did you ask in the Trading Post section as a "wanted to buy"? Good luck and BTW, I was just talking of Skycranes the other day...

Have you split the case yet? If you don't actually have the case apart and the crank in your hand, don't pronounce it dead yet. Sometimes fuel varnish forms a dark brown flaky residue that could be confused with rust. Not saying your crank isn't rusty. Just saying to pull it completely apart before you start collecting parts. It's not a rare saw, so maybe it's remaining years could be better spent as a parts donor. I think that unless you already have a pile of spares, you would be investing more into getting the saw completed than what you could buy a runner for. Maybe the "project" aspect is what you're after?

The good thing to me is if u rebuild it your self u know exacally what u have, you can find good runners around but u never know what they have been thru, or who.

The lower rod bearing was toast, ratchets like a old broke hip. It's going to be a project for sure. Still wondering if I wanna keep it or not. Well see

well i got a seized ms440in a junk sale and its missing a lot on the out side thats fine. but man i opened her up and it stunk of varnish and the cranks all rusted......guess ill be getting a used crank from the parts guys or who ever has one for a god price. i would post a pic but dang it wold make ya cry

anyone got a crank or know where i cold find one besides ebay?
What did you pay for it? If not much, I wouldnt be crying too bad, but hopefully you didnt get beat up. But you did say junk sale, so if you dripped a $20 on it, parts alone your in the green. Just dont let it run away on ya if you decide to resurrect it

:(...........and I was hoping to see some pics. His last post here, was Feb , 2014, and his last Log-In was Sept, 2015.
Oh Well.

Hahaha i didnt look at the origonal date of the posting. Oh well [emoji20]

Back