Opinion- Drop Starting vs Starting On the Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop start all mine with left hand on the wrap handle and the right hand pulling the rope. Now when I working on one and attempting to get it to start, I use the boot through the lower handle with left hand on the top wrap handle. There are several ways to start a saw so I think that whichever way a guy feels most comfortable and safe works for him is the way he will start one

The way that I insist is not to be used is the one where you hold the rear handle and throttle in the right hand, the starter cord in the left, and then throw the saw away from you while holding the cord. That's a good way to get a chain full of dirt, or a snoot full of chain. Yet, I still see people doing it, especially with either the smallest or largest of saws. Smaller is more acceptable, especially if the bar is too short to hit the ground, but longer bars are a full-time no-no.

Seems to me it'd be more unsafe with a shorter bar that can swing down and hit you in the foot/leg? Obviously the bar tip in the dirt isn't great, but it's better than flesh. That method creeps me out and I don't really see why anyone would use it? The only time I hold right and pull lefty is on the 200T.

This man knows how to start saws. I am right handed so my right is the strong arm. The rope gets most leverage on the rotor straight out of the grommet. Tuck the top of the rear handle under the right thigh, hold the top handle with the left, engage the paws first and then give it a big rip (use your right arm and throw your right shoulder to use the back if neccessary). I am 65 and can start any saw this way, safely and controlled. Mike
Good points man, I have seen so many guys break the eyelets, pull ropes and starter pawls. Unecessarilly. I drop start them in that method staright drop in line with the eyelet, and engage the the pawls, and just get past the comp stroke, and give it a couple drops with brake on left hand on the center of the wrap, straight up and down with the eye, and if a long bar I cant hold off the ground then it is resting on something safe fro me, and the saw a block piece of wood, or log. Good points:clap: Some guys make it like it is rocket science, and its not starting a saw should be was going to say second nature, but even easier than that. If not it is too much saw for that guy, and he should not run it. I have tried used, and still use all methods if needed the key is to be versatile, and a guy should by all rights be able to start a saw any which way if ever needed. But the straight drop works best for me, good points Mike:clap: The under leg or knee aint bad either.

Seems to me it'd be more unsafe with a shorter bar that can swing down and hit you in the foot/leg? Obviously the bar tip in the dirt isn't great, but it's better than flesh. That method creeps me out and I don't really see why anyone would use it? The only time I hold right and pull lefty is on the 200T.
That is how many old loggers did it, and showed me many years ago, and they did it safely while the bar and saw weight was laying on a log, so youwere not in danger in any way. And back in the day it was the only way, modern saws have throttle locks, compression release, chain brake, elastostart etc. Old saws did not all have these features, and many I grew up with you had to give it gas with your right hand to start it while pulling. Point being it is safe if you do it safely. I use this method for a flooded saw. A good saw operator should be able to start, and use the saw in all conditions, and safely no matter what it is a dangerous world, when sawing or doing tree work it is the name of the game. But how the game is played, and what you learn pay attention to, listen and look for will determine, how long you live and play. The guys who are always safety conscious wise, and implement this route as second nature will have a better chance. The guys who do nothing but worry about how unsafe things may be will actually create a hazard, they hesitate or panic I know worked with many. Not trying to rip on you, just giving a run down to all, and wnated to display my thoughts I feel I have been pretty well rounded, and shaped. It has come from 25 years of firewood cutting, limbing, tree work, working with loggers, but mostly listening to the old ones. Working on saws, falling jobs complete takedowns which are like taking a puzzle apart, a disection. I try and take it all in, and I size up every tree with the same methods of safety, and practice so I can do it in my sleep, that way n the real world when it gets bad on a tree hopefully I can react, and not have to stop and think, and you bet your ass I have had bad situations, and close calls. I was lucky to live through em and learn.

That is how many old loggers did it

To clarify -- I'm not talking about resting the bar tip on a log and pushing the saw down and away while holding the cord. That way is fine -- if it gets away from you (it won't), it will pull away rather than kicking back. I'm talking about your-wrist-isn't-strong-enough-to-hold-that-thing-up throwing the saw body away from yourself.

That is how many old loggers did it, and showed me many years ago, and they did it safely while the bar and saw weight was laying on a log, so youwere not in danger in any way. And back in the day it was the only way, modern saws have throttle locks, compression release, chain brake, elastostart etc. Old saws did not all have these features, and many I grew up with you had to give it gas with your right hand to start it while pulling.

Didn't feel you were rippin on me at all.

That's what I mostly figured that it was the design of the saws that necessitated using that technique...so, what happens when the saw bucks against compression? Obviously mostly just rip the starter out of your hand, but seems on a lighter saw it could yank the saw around kind of goofy, no?

Either way my left wrist is fubar in addition to just not feeling comfortable with the method so I'll never use it, but I'm just curious...

Nathan I gotcha! I understood what you meant, and you made a good point. And I know you can start one :clap: And I agree stay out of the dirt at all times! You ever see my pics when I pose with a saw, they are resting on my boot not the ground, and not running of course. Big J, I agree not for everyone, and the practice is used still by many here, mostly from logging roots. Its not how I do it, but I see good points, and bad and all arguments from all methods. I agree with ya if it is not comfortable, and does not feel right don't do it I wouldn't. The snap back will get you from any method of starting, and I have one saw my 660 that has got everyone including my self. I try and pull it just past the compression stroke, and then get momentum with the next couple pulls or drops. I am not a rope yanker or a guy who pulls to the end of the rope. I let the saw weight help with the momentum I feel all saws have a different quirk or feel, even same brands and models main thing get the feel of the particular saw, and you will know how you need to start it. All of the methods that have been discussed are usefull to the right person or application. Nathan that was a good point because I have seen many guys eat dirt doing that with a saw, and wondered what they were thinking. Much more than a 28 in bar and I have to rest it, because of my short ass! But the way I do it is safe and the bar is always away from me just like a loaded gun.

Along these same lines, I wonder if there's any way to install a compression release on my Stihl 044, short of changing the cylinder and the plastic top cover. I'd like to change it over but wouldn't want to get too much in it moneywise or workwise.

Prior to starting, I will pull the cord till I feel the start of the compression stroke, then start a cold one on the ground. No, my boot won't go into the handle either, but I stand on it as much as I can. But I was thinking, has anyone tried putting a stick/axe handle or something through the rear handle and then standing on that? Think I'll try that just for grins this evening. I'm short, so not far to bend over and give it a yank, but I like starting a warmed-up saw upright with the handle locked between the knees. For a stubborn saw, I can see going to the next safest way that still gets the job done.

Drop Starting?

One guy came to my shop and asked me about this. I told him how I do it (drop starting sort of) and he said he severely pulled a back muscle when he started the saw on the ground, which is supposedly (but isn't) safer.

I can easily start my Stihl 066's without compression releases, using my modified drop start method. I don't think I can start them on the ground without risking serious back or shoulder injury. If you are worried about safety put the chain brake on.
The key is to pull the rope with authority, not tentatively. If you don't pull with authority the compression will not be overcome, and that can be painful, especially on a cold day. By the way, I am 60 years old. I hold the handlebar with my left hand, and pull the rope with my right, exerting some downward force on the saw while pulling on the starter rope.

But I was thinking, has anyone tried putting a stick/axe handle or something through the rear handle and then standing on that?

Yes, but it is hard to find the right size stick. A piece of solid 1X3 would work best. Axe handle is an interesting thought.

Philbert

(p.s. - I NEVER drop start my electric saws!)

Along these same lines, I wonder if there's any way to install a compression release on my Stihl 044, short of changing the cylinder and the plastic top cover. I'd like to change it over but wouldn't want to get too much in it moneywise or workwise.

i would imagine you could drill and tap the head to accept one. or you could just leave your spark plug loose:msp_biggrin:

Buy a new or used ms440 cylinder and put it on. Cut a hole in your plastic top, for the release, and you are good to go.

On page 3 my dad tbow388 had a few methods the second one of me starting the saw while he watches is not true. We both sit in a rocking chair ( no not together) and my 130 pund half bull mastiv half great Dane pulls it. The compression on the Mac is incredible so so times the saw yanks him back! Tbow388 saw my idea and stole it. ( get it? Saw my idea)

I used to use the drop starting technique to start everything, but became a little nervous so decided to go with the thigh technique.

That led to some pain when something happened on the 2000. It either caught or backfired, and being a little saw, didn't really have that much of a hold on it.

Well, it proceeded to... :check:

Still use the thigh, but make sure I have a good grip and pinch on the saw. Works well, but still will leave a sore spot on the inside of my leg, though the full wrap chaps help with that too.

Mike has a good idea if you want to go that route. If you do not have the elasto start you can ad one. I don't know man think I would leave it. I know they have a bite mine has no decomp either, but like he said I think you have to replace the cylinder.

Drop Starting

One guy came to my shop and asked me about this. I told him how I do it (drop starting sort of) and he said he severely pulled a back muscle when he started the saw on the ground, which is supposedly (but isn't) safer.

I can easily start my Stihl 066's without compression releases, using my modified drop start method. I don't think I can start them on the ground without risking serious back or shoulder injury. If you are worried about safety put the chain brake on.
The key is to pull the rope with authority, not tentatively. If you don't pull with authority the compression will not be overcome, and that can be painful, especially on a cold day. By the way, I am 60 years old. I hold the handlebar with my left hand, and pull the rope with my right, exerting some downward force on the saw while pulling on the starter rope.
I do exactly the same things with my J'red920. It has a lot of compression, especially when cold, & has hurt my back, wrist & shoulder trying to use the foot through the handle method. This must be a problem with us old guys. I'm 74. I,m afraid that using the between the knees approach I might become a soprano!

I drop start the small saws and use the foot through the rear handle for the bigger saws. I've got a couple saws with high compression that I start with my knee on the top of the saw.

Back