Opinions needed: Woodshed Roofing Material

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put screwnails in the lows beside the high ribs that go into the framing member and use shorter screws in the high rib laps that only hold the sheets together. We have an American Buildings dealer on here and I think he will tell you the same thing.

Can you provide a picture of this technique, I'm not able to grasp the concept thru your description. Screwing thru the high parts of the rib is something I've never seen in any fashion.

Regarding a couple of comments on the condensation issue. I have seen a few pole barn contractors using an inexpensive building paper that is usually out on house side walls, laying it over the purlions and then screwing the steel down. They tell me that it controls the dripping and lets it run to the outside edge under the steel. I have not heard of any one complaining about an issue yet, but they have only been doing it for a few years. I asked about the steel that is precoated with a product none as "drip-x" and they told me it was just too pricy for most applications. Just some more thoughts for you guys.

That's my point. The entire purpose of a finish roof covering is to have water run to the eaves of the structure on top the roof covering, not under it. One of the other multiple problems with metal roof is that it rusts on the cut or sheared end. Even if the installer dips the burred edge in paint, it will rust as nothing you can treat the edge with in the field can bond to the metal like the factory applied finish which also rusts where the screws penetrate. (The screws which work loose and the gaskets of which break down in the sun,) I know there is hidden fastener systems, still metal is a poor option. It makes a house appear like a shed, too. Everything is a tradeoff, I think the metal roof industry is a huge one. I'm not selling anything and the last thing I want to do is roof any more houses. Valleys, ridges and wind driven water infiltration near those and around vent pipe penetrations are a couple other issues they can only hope to convince customers that they know how to diffuse. Too many inherent shortcomings. On a woodshed, though, who cares. Tear some off an old chicken house and use it with holes in it. Better ventilation.

Last edited:
Arbo..........you're right with your observations, but you are talking over a 20 year period. I've seen many a shingle roof replaced in sooner intervals that that. I had my metal roof, on the house, replaced after 24 years. But not from needing it, I had my roof angle changed with an addition. My neighbor that moved in 12 years after me has already repaired his roof with some nasty streak showing up. And in a serious storm, I would take the metal roof over the other. Metal just doesn't lift up like a asphalt shingle.

yeah, i screw on the high .... its a three handed method, one hand has the silicon gun, one hand the screw gun, the last hand feeds the screws...... it is difficult and time consuming,but, i do think a dash of silicon is the way to go.....just saying.

IMO Black rubber roofing liner is real nice for a woodshed.
Gets real hot and so does the inside of the woodshed, makes for nice dry wood.

Rubber roof liner is easy to install and lasts pretty much forever, but if your looking for a real pretty thing rubber liner isn't a great pick.
You can get it looking pretty decent pretty quick but it's liner so it will look like a liner.

IMO Black rubber roofing liner is real nice for a woodshed.
Gets real hot and so does the inside of the woodshed, makes for nice dry wood.

Rubber roof liner is easy to install and lasts pretty much forever, but if your looking for a real pretty thing rubber liner isn't a great pick.
You can get it looking pretty decent pretty quick but it's liner so it will look like a liner.

To make the point here, remember industrial building that have the rubber roofs have nothing more than river gravel spread to hold it all down. It does last it seems, forever.

Preston,

I have a black rubber liner on my woodshed, no stone cover on top.
Been there for about 15 years and still looks much like it was on day one.
On a summer day I think you could cook food on it though :)

Changed the shingles on my house roof twice and a metal roof on another barn 1x now but the rubber liner on the wood barn just keeps going LOL

Latest posts

Back