opinions of troy bilt log splitter from lowes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fix for the cheesy log cradles. Made a table out of some scrap...... made it to bolt to the original arms for the engine side log cradle. It's been a great modification.......... saves my back from having to keep picking up the same round to make multiple splits. Doesn't get in the way when splitting vertical.

Birthday021.jpg

Birthday022.jpg

Birthday023.jpg

I'm not familiar with the TB, but I've seen some of the less expensive models cut cost by using plastic tanks for the hydraulic fluid. I would avoid those, it would just be too easy to bust one.

I've used one of the Cub Cadets quite a bit and was very happy with it.

I have had a Yard Machine ( same design ) and have had no problems, if I had a dislike it would be that it could be a bit taller seems like your stooping over a bit kinda hard on your back after a while.

I duunno, I sort of get in a rhythm and start enjoying the tire rub. :D :D

I had the problem with instant back ache from the awkward position and then discovered if I just turned around with left side to splitter there was no problem. It still is a poor place for th running gear but if you want a tip-up you have that problem. Personally I never use mine 'tip-up' and if I could have found a horizontal only at reasonable price I would have had that instead.

Harry K

One poor design problem is the motor position - it puts the air filter cover right out where it is vulnerable. I wiped mine off twice already (tight gate to go through once, turned corner to tight second time).

Harry K

The log cradle (if you can call it that) bolts seem to be a problem wth all of'em. But I suspect that's the way it's supposed to be. Kinda like a shear pin in a boat motor prop.

STC, Welcome to the Forum!!

Do yourself a favor and look at the Speeco/Huskee/Splitmaster log splitters before you spend your money. In my opinion a better, more durable design than the trunion mount cylinders used on the MTD made splitters and just about the same price.

I sent you a PM with some information...

The good is, it's lightweight to move around. One thing to keep in mind though is more steel creates a tougher machine. If you keep an eye out at TSC, I have heard that their speeco/huskey 22 ton has been bought as low as 899 on sale. Some even pick up coupons to save even more. The 22 ton uses a full I-Beam design. Mine is going to be 7 years old in May and the Honda always starts first or second pull.

I just recently put a smile back on my face again to see my 27 ton come back from the dead with a tougher trunion cylinder that should have been designed this way from factory(cylinder trunion cly blew open @ end of last summer). Trunion mount cylinder is the issue I see with this design, but they still work as is for some.

The good is, it's lightweight to move around. One thing to keep in mind though is more steel creates a tougher machine. If you keep an eye out at TSC, I have heard that their speeco/huskey 22 ton has been bought as low as 899 on sale. Some even pick up coupons to save even more. The 22 ton uses a full I-Beam design. Mine is going to be 7 years old in May and the Honda always starts first or second pull.

I just recently put a smile back on my face again to see my 27 ton come back from the dead with a tougher trunion cylinder that should have been designed this way from factory(cylinder trunion cly blew open @ end of last summer). Trunion mount cylinder is the issue I see with this design, but they still work as is for some.

It's a matter of design and force moments. A trunnion mount /half beam using the same cross section steel would be almost twice as rigid as would the full beam. That is why the TB doesn't need such heavy wall beams. I have seen zero flex in mine shearing through black locust knots.

Harry K

Harry K

It's a matter of design and force moments. A trunnion mount /half beam using the same cross section steel would be almost twice as rigid as would the full beam. That is why the TB doesn't need such heavy wall beams. I have seen zero flex in mine shearing through black locust knots.

Harry K

Harry K

I can definately see that as a good thing of the trunnion mount setup, little to no flex of the I-beam.

I have tested a few more small splits, of oak and sycamore, with my rewelded cylinder and it is so tight now that I can barely see any movement in any direction from the trunion area or any flex anywhere. Time will tell now and the 4 way that will be in the works very very soon will test it even more.

Did TB replace the cylinder, or did they tell you tuff luck?

Harry K

Harry K

I've never seen my Huskee flex either, and the beam runs full length like any log splitter should.

Last edited:
TB threw me to the curb long ago and never looked back.

I went with my little welding skills to bring back the old cylinder. Check out the last few pages of the ********** thread, it will show lots of pics of the progress of what I did to get mine back together. ********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums! I think pics start on around page 8 of the thread

It is a totally different beast now.

I have never used a full I beam so I have no comment on flexing, although it really has to be built with enough metal to stand up to the output ratings of the splitter. Output pressure should take out hoses/seals before doing any damage to metal frame.

I had asked this question a couple of weeks ago and several said that they are made by MTD and had issues getting support for issues that they had. I was looking at the ones from tractor supply since iot had high praise from many here. They had no issues and they have a good support but they did not have any 28 ton ones in my area so I ended up purchasing a splitter from Rural King tractor supply. It is a 28 ton with a 11.5hp briggs motor, has a solid beam and tilts for vertical plitting which works great for big rounds. I have used it the last couple of weekends to do a couple cords of wood and I love it and so for no issue except it was a little hard to start when temps were in the teens but wish I would have gotten one years ago.

TB threw me to the curb long ago and never looked back.

I went with my little welding skills to bring back the old cylinder. Check out the last few pages of the ********** thread, it will show lots of pics of the progress of what I did to get mine back together. ********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums! I think pics start on around page 8 of the thread

It is a totally different beast now.

I have never used a full I beam so I have no comment on flexing, although it really has to be built with enough metal to stand up to the output ratings of the splitter. Output pressure should take out hoses/seals before doing any damage to metal frame.

Very nice repair, I registered on that forum and read the whole thread.
I'm sure it's better than it was.

Hey guys, becareful when posting links to other forums...you may end up gettin yourselves in trouble..From what i understand, thats a big no no?

I'm not cryin, i'm just tryin to prevent yinz from gettin 3rd degree. lol

Hey guys, becareful when posting links to other forums...you may end up gettin yourselves in trouble..From what i understand, thats a big no no?

I'm not cryin, i'm just tryin to prevent yinz from gettin 3rd degree. lol

Thanks. I keep reading threads and never get around to reading the rules. I guess one learns from the mistakes as I go. No more links from me.

Thanks for the good comment on the project.

splitter

it kills me you buy cheapo splitters and think that they could hang with the better splitters . every time i bought the best i never looked back when i bought the cheaper i allways was sorry i know money plays a big role . but so does keping your family warm just my 2 cents

it kills me you buy cheapo splitters and think that they could hang with the better splitters . every time i bought the best i never looked back when i bought the cheaper i allways was sorry i know money plays a big role . but so does keping your family warm just my 2 cents

Money does play a part. His budget is probably in the amount of the cost of the 27 ton so models within that price range need to be discussed.

If I could afford a Mercedes I wouldn't buy a Kia. I don't own either but they were both built to go from A to B.

tb27 ton splitter

I am thinking of buying one of the troy bilt log splitters from Lowes. It is a 27 ton model. I was wondering if anyone had any experiances with these, good or bad. Thanks.

Replace the bolts that are on the cradle arms as they break. i also took the stand that comes with it off of the front and replaced it with a trailer jack with a wheel on it. Now the splitter moves about easily. I added a ball hitch so i could pull it with my 4 wheeler. i also added log cradles(flat plates) on the arms that come with the splitter. I have split many cords of firewood with this machine with no problems(other than the bolts breaking on the log cradle arms). My firewood is all 24 inches long and the log just fits into the sp;litter. I've split all types of hardwood with no problems. Next step will be to build a log lift for it. I find with age that it is hard for me to get down and put logs into it in the vertical position.

Check out the huskee brand at tractor supply they are built of much heavier duty materials. They are also made by speeco who is an american fabrication company. The troy built is a mtd product made in china

Back