opinions of troy bilt log splitter from lowes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the huskee brand at tractor supply they are built of much heavier duty materials. They are also made by speeco who is an american fabrication company. The troy built is a mtd product made in china

Better yet, go to Omni-Mfg.com and order a Speeco brand instead of the Huskee from TSC. Speeco make the Huskees for TSC. You can get the same splitter that you would get from TSC from Omni but you can also get a better one for almost the same price if you go through Omni. Plus free shipping and no sales tax (depending on where you live).

Drawbacks are you have to have it delivered to a loading dock or pick it up at a freight depot for the free shipping, you have to provide your own oils (cost me $45 for engine and hydro) and you have to assemble it yourself.

Benefits are you get to assemble it yourself (takes all of about 1 hour start to finish) so you can make sure it's put together correctly and you can check to make sure the sub-assemblies are all good & tight; and if you have any issues, problems or concerns you get to deal directly with Speeco and don't have to play the TSC customer service game. (I've never dealt with TSC customer support but Speeco is unbelievably customer oriented!)

You won't be sorry!!

There was a time when TROY-BILT mentioned something, more specifically before M.T.D purchased them. I have a commercial 33 ton Troy built in Michigan by workers who cared. I ordered it new in 2002, it's fitted from factory with a Honda gt 340 commercial engine, resavore holds 10 gallons of oil which should be a minimum to shoot for if you split in the summer. It weights out at 725 lbs. The troys of late are no longer made in U.S.A. , and have dropped the commercial ratings. Today Dosko and Iron Oak are top of line splitters. Most such as Huskee, Oregon, etc. Are made by Speeco. I HAD A 22 TON Huskee with a Briggs that worked for years without a hitch hower. I heat with wood and live in the forrest, accordingly it only made since for me to go commercial. I've heated with wood by way of O.W.B. for last 12 years hence I consider it part of the investment to exit my dependence on fossil fuels best I can.

Back