Opinions on 036 cylinder wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff J Greilich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took this off of a 036 that I think was straight gassed. I cleaned it up with muratic acid....it was pretty messy. Still a little transfer on it, but I also noticed what seems to be scratches. I'd love to get this going and put a nice sharp CHAIN on it :)

Opinions on whether or not this piston is okay to go with these scratches would be great. Thanks!20170316_120529.jpg 20170316_120513.jpg

You need to get every last bit of transfer off first, it will destroy a new piston very quickly. The scratches are not that deep that the saw wouldn`t run but some compression will be lost by using it, not all that important if you just want a running saw. Sandpaper off the remaining aluminum transfer and give the whole cylinder a good rubbing with Scotchbrite or even 320 sandpaper just to remove any high spots on those scratches.

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like its through the plating in a few spots. If so, that thing really isnt much good other than porting practice or mock-up purposes for somebody

Edit: zoomed in a bit more and looks like what i though were through plating does look like its transfer left over. Good advice above lol

get the remaining transfer off and as above with some scotch brite and finish it off ck out the mastermind procedure I used to use acid and no longer. The compression takes place above the port ant that looks decent so it would run good assuming no air leeks ect. good luck

I also no longer use acid as there is almost always spots for it to get under the plating and destroy stuff. If hit that jug with atleast 220 then maybe some scotchbrite. Then wash it out real good and run it. Stay away from port edges. Also when using sand paper on a drill or other don't spin it fast so the paper don't unwind it makes it much more easy to control it.

You still have transfer on there use a flap wheel then finish off with sand paper in circural motion. The 036 has a 48mm piston so I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back