Opinions on Brave 20 Ton Dual Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite splitter form factor

• Horizontal/Vertical

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Horizontal only

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Kinetic

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Ash handle with a well hung steel head

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • My Fiskars makes rounds split by just pointing it in their general direction!

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
You don't have the thing assembled yet?

I couldn't get it home last night. I drive a company SUV, and had it delivered to work, so I could unload it with the forklift. I had the kids last night while my wife taught a class, so hopefully tonight is the night to come get it with the truck, and then get it home and put together.

I have had the 20 tonBrave splitter for about 10 years. Never had a problem with it and I think it is pretty impressive what it will split, i.e. knots, twists, etc.

Here's my build report:

The thing came packaged very well. Nothing rubbed or shifted during transport, which is nice.
2016-01-07 19.48.58.jpg
I unboxed everything and made sure the parts were all there (they were):
2016-01-07 20.03.35.jpg
Following the instructions, I added the tongue and jack to the beam:
2016-01-07 20.12.11.jpg
Then, I skipped a step, and attached the wheels to the axles. I couldn't get the bearing caps onto the wheels, no matter how hard I tried. I ended up destroying them, and will need to grab some new ones at TSC today, while I am there getting hydro oil. Just to note - this is probably my failing, and not the fault of Brave:
2016-01-07 20.13.45.jpg
I then tried setting the beam on the axle by myself. @USMC615 was right - it's a gut buster, but I used the jack stand as a pivot point, and tried laying the beam on the axle assembly. It didn't work:
2016-01-07 20.29.14.jpg
So, plan B - I propped the beam on an empty pail, and attached the 2 rear bolts to the axle assembly:
2016-01-07 20.33.43.jpg
Then, it was easy to flip the axle underneath by lifting the beam up, and then install the 2 remaining bolts. I forgot to attach the hose routing plate at this time, though, so I had to go back later and add it in:
2016-01-07 20.34.32.jpg
After attaching the valve and hoses, I was almost home free:
2016-01-07 21.31.24.jpg
The hoses are all just about perfect in length. I am wondering about re-routing the high pressure line into the valve, but for now I think it is probably right:
2016-01-07 21.31.30.jpg
After adding the log catchers and ball hitch, we're home free:
2016-01-07 21.39.03.jpg

My impression so far is that this is a well made unit. The log catchers are very sturdy, which is one thing I was worried about before ordering. All of the paint was flawless, until I dropped the beam on the concrete slab. :crazy2: All bolt holes were perfectly aligned, and nothing needed to be adjusted or modified one bit.

Hopefully after adding fluids tonight after work, I will be able to post some operational pictures.

Now that is report! Would it be too much to ask for a video of it being used in action? That would big kick azz

Here's my build report:

The thing came packaged very well. Nothing rubbed or shifted during transport, which is nice.
View attachment 477121
I unboxed everything and made sure the parts were all there (they were):
View attachment 477122
Following the instructions, I added the tongue and jack to the beam:
View attachment 477123
Then, I skipped a step, and attached the wheels to the axles. I couldn't get the bearing caps onto the wheels, no matter how hard I tried. I ended up destroying them, and will need to grab some new ones at TSC today, while I am there getting hydro oil. Just to note - this is probably my failing, and not the fault of Brave:
View attachment 477124
I then tried setting the beam on the axle by myself. @USMC615 was right - it's a gut buster, but I used the jack stand as a pivot point, and tried laying the beam on the axle assembly. It didn't work:
View attachment 477125
So, plan B - I propped the beam on an empty pail, and attached the 2 rear bolts to the axle assembly:
View attachment 477126
Then, it was easy to flip the axle underneath by lifting the beam up, and then install the 2 remaining bolts. I forgot to attach the hose routing plate at this time, though, so I had to go back later and add it in:
View attachment 477127
After attaching the valve and hoses, I was almost home free:
View attachment 477128
The hoses are all just about perfect in length. I am wondering about re-routing the high pressure line into the valve, but for now I think it is probably right:
View attachment 477129
After adding the log catchers and ball hitch, we're home free:
View attachment 477130

My impression so far is that this is a well made unit. The log catchers are very sturdy, which is one thing I was worried about before ordering. All of the paint was flawless, until I dropped the beam on the concrete slab. :crazy2: All bolt holes were perfectly aligned, and nothing needed to be adjusted or modified one bit.

Hopefully after adding fluids tonight after work, I will be able to post some operational pictures.
Good looking splitter, and yes to a very solid machine. Glad I had a brother hanging around when we put mine together, considering the beam weight. As far as wheel bearing covers go, that's been a long issue with them regardless of who mfg'd them. I knew of it going into it when I bought my NT from reviews I read...I rolled the inner lip of the bearing covers inboard slightly and mine only took a couple of hits with a rubber mallet then went on perfect.

You'll enjoy the splitter...it'll bust anything and I mean anything, you can put on it.

As far as wheel bearing covers go, that's been a long issue with them regardless of who mfg'd them. I knew of it going into it when I bought my NT from reviews I read...I rolled the inner lip of the bearing covers inboard slightly and mine only took a couple of hits with a rubber mallet then went on perfect.

Yeah, after I tried beating both bearing covers on, I tried curling the lips inward, but they were so out of round that I just gave up. I might see about the cost for bearing buddies, for ease of servicing anyway.

No action shots yet. I added fluids and fired her up Friday night, and somehow sheared the key on the hydraulic pump. I will call Brave on Monday to see about getting another one. The pump turns fine by hand so...

Any ideas?

OK, I got a Woodruff key and put it on the pump shaft Saturday. I fired her up and split about 2/3 of a cord before parenting duties sidelined me.

I like this thing! The wood catchers are great. I can see myself building a small wooden table to be on the off-side of the splitter for more working area, but for handling one round at a time, it works great.

I got a crappy video of it working. The darn grass blew in front of the lens, so most of it is out of focus, but if you want to watch my blurry backside for 2 minutes, here you go:

There are a couple of loose fasteners from the factory connections that I need to torque down, but other than that, this thing is running like a top.

@kingOFgEEEks Check out my review of the Northern Tool "Powerhorse" brand of your splitter.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/northern-tool-powerhorse-20t-dual-split-review.235155/

i have a couple pics of modifications i made to mine including: Extending the work table to cover the engine and making it wider, nubs welded to the plates for traction, and a pressure gauge. I have since, dropped it on the floor hooking it up and remade the hitch to be removable 2" tubing, added a jack for leveling purposes and storage, and extended the wedge. I dont recommend the wedge extension as the blocks on the ends arent tall enough and makes tall stringy wood just slide up the knife tipping over the top of the block

Thanks @Jakers. I like the idea of extending the table over the engine side. I could probably find some #6 or #8 rebar to use for that purpose, and protect the engine a bit, although the Honda engine doesn't quite seem as vulnerable to breakage as the Powerhorse engine, just by the way it is shaped.

I was also thinking of adding a couple of fittings to the high pressure hose coming into the valve, to get it out of the way of the moving beam some more. Have you noticed it being in the way any in your use?

Thanks @Jakers. I like the idea of extending the table over the engine side. I could probably find some #6 or #8 rebar to use for that purpose, and protect the engine a bit, although the Honda engine doesn't quite seem as vulnerable to breakage as the Powerhorse engine, just by the way it is shaped.

I was also thinking of adding a couple of fittings to the high pressure hose coming into the valve, to get it out of the way of the moving beam some more. Have you noticed it being in the way any in your use?
The table extension on the opposite side from the operator will help protect the engine but more so, actually protects a split from falling down while on the retract stroke and snapping the plastic hydraulic oil fill cap/dipstick. Read about it happening in a review or two before purchasing mine from NT. Another option would be doing away with the plastic hydro fill cap/dipstick altogether, go with a metal plug. But do retain the plastic one for hydro level checks if needed. Little food for thought.

Thanks @Jakers.
The hose was in the way and actually rubbed on the beam on mine. adding the gauge eliminated the problem as i routed it differently.

The table extension on the opposite side from the operator will help protect the engine but more so, actually protects a split from falling down while on the retract stroke and snapping the plastic hydraulic oil fill cap/dipstick. Read about it happening in a review or two before purchasing mine from NT. Another option would be doing away with the plastic hydro fill cap/dipstick altogether, go with a metal plug. But do retain the plastic one for hydro level checks if needed. Little food for thought.

Exactly what happened to mine. see my pics in other post and you will notice that i rebuilt the dipstick and breather. i drilled the plug and welded in a small piece of round stock (1/8" IIRC) with filed in marks for the Full and Add lines

Hello everyone, Brand new to the site..........based of this thread and some other research I did....I pulled the trigger and just bought a 20 ton Brave dual split also.

My question is can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 4-way wedge like the one posted towards the beginning of this thread? Maybe post a link or give a lead on a member that makes them? Thanks

David

Hello everyone, Brand new to the site..........based of this thread and some other research I did....I pulled the trigger and just bought a 20 ton Brave dual split also.

My question is can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 4-way wedge like the one posted towards the beginning of this thread? Maybe post a link or give a lead on a member that makes them? Thanks

David
You made a good splitter purchase. Those were my posts and pics concerning the 4-way slip-on wedge. I'll see what I can dig up for you after work today, got a couple of things on my plate immediately afterwards, and send you the info via PM (Private Message conversation).

David
Just sent an email to the gentleman who fabricated my 4-way wedge for my 20-ton Dual Split...waiting game now. When he responds, I'll let you know via PM, let you know contact info, you two handle business. The 4-way is the cats' meow on this splitter. It'll make a pile of splits with a 7-sec cycle time both directions, damn near as good as my Super Split HD, and he's got a 3-sec cycle time. I'll holler back at ya as soon as I hear something.

Just sent an email to the gentleman who fabricated my 4-way wedge for my 20-ton Dual Split...waiting game now. When he responds, I'll let you know via PM, let you know contact info, you two handle business. The 4-way is the cats' meow on this splitter. It'll make a pile of splits with a 7-sec cycle time both directions, damn near as good as my Super Split HD, and he's got a 3-sec cycle time. I'll holler back at ya as soon as I hear something.

Thank you so much for the follow up. I believe the 4-way wedge will make a big difference in split time. Please let me know when you hear something.

Welcome to the Dual Split club.

My main problem with mine is that I don't get to use it very much, because it splits a truckfull of wood so fast that I'm spending all my time unloading and stacking instead of splitting.

Welcome to the Dual Split club.

My main problem with mine is that I don't get to use it very much, because it splits a truckfull of wood so fast that I'm spending all my time unloading and stacking instead of splitting.

Thanks sounds like a very good problem to have.....I am excited to use it. Supposed to deliver tomorrow.

Back