Opinions on ECHO Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are Echo saws still made in Japan? From a year of reading and watching here on the Arborist message board, it seems I recall that many of you fellows have given Echo saws fairly good reviews and ratings. Is this true, or has it been just one or two fellows who like Echo products?

I'm looking at an Echo CS-520 (50cc) for homeowner purposes. How does it stack up against a Husqvarna 350 in terms of quality?

Echo continues to make excellent products, wherever it is that they make them. Without fail, every Echo product I've ever used has been reliable, durable, and surprisingly forgiving of user neglect.

I think that most folks would agree that Echo's saws are not necessarily the most powerful saws for their displacement, but they are reliable and durable. You'll be hard-pressed to find people to bash Echo on the issue of quality.

I have handled both the 350 and the 520 and both feel equally nice my hands. I have yet to put any cutting time on either of them, though. That said, I still think that either saw would be a good choice for homeowner use.

I agree with computeruser. Echo makes quality equipment. They do not, however,have the recognition that Husky or Stihl enjoy. I own a backpack blower, two trimmers, and a cs-4400 saw. They all are easy to start and run well. I also use their two cycle semi-synthetic oil mix in my Huskies.

http://www.echo-usa.com/

I purchased an Echo in 1975, don't remember the model but mid-power I'd say. Ran it 17 or 18 yr., probably felled and sectioned 5 cords a year. Very well-built, always started [I mean ALWAYS]. Was turned on to the brand by a professional firewood cutter/seller who used them exclusively with his crew. He told me, they are reasonably priced, built very well [all metal back then], and always start so he and his crew didn't spend time trying to mess with them in the field.

When it became very worn and reached the point of needing some new parts, I decided to get a new saw with the safety features, none of which the '75 had. And, at least then, don't know about now, they used a paper air filter which cost quite a bit and I ran thru them regularly, got tired of that cost. And there was a spell back in the late 80s, early 90s, when I had some trouble finding Echo parts around here [central Colorado; no longer a problem, by the way, I see them here and there].

I now run Stihls, but I do not hesitate to recommend Echo. As a homeowner, you might not ever need another saw if you take care of it. After all, mine lasted me 17 yr. and would have gone on had I decided to refurbish it. All I ever did in all that time, or all I had to do, was replace the sprocket, bar and chain as needed. Couple spark plugs.

Last edited:
with weedwhackers/brush cutters i do not buy anything but Echo. their chainsaws are rock solid performers when cared for. they may not be the fastest or most powerful out there, but they seem to be one of the longest lasting! for mostly land clearing commercial use, my Echo SRM-2110 trimmer has been going with a blade since 1996 and still does not need replaced. i grew up using an old CS302S that was beat to h*ll and kept on running. the last 5 years it was run it was missing half the muffler and had allmost no compression. you could still fire it up and cut wood though!

Never used an echo, but i have used EFCO's, do you guys have these in the states? (not sure if they are classed as a professional tool, or semi, or indeed a gardeners' tool) I still own a efco top handled saw which I regularly use for reductions. Sure they don't have the UMPH of an 020, or the build quality,(the casings are VERY flimsy compared to Stihl) and certainly a slow process if using for chonking off large bits of wood but after three years of use, mine still runs great, and casing is still holding up. I find 020's uncomfortable due to my large hands when using the saw one handed, the efco, is lighter, and better balanced.

I've also used their mid sized saw, and although they work fine, I certainly would recommend going the extra mile and buying a Stihl or Husqvana, for power, reliability and build quality.

Sorry if I have steered away from the main thread about ECHOS, just thought i'd add my bit, whether it be of use or not :)

All of the orange ones were made in Japan. The newer grey ones are made here at least most of them. My dad started selling them in 1972 now my cousin has the business...Bob

Echo's are alright for the cheaper end of the market.

I would say though that Shindaiwa would be more powerful and out live them. They're about the same on price here, maybe the Echo a little cheaper.

simon_basson said:
Never used an echo, but i have used EFCO's, do you guys have these in the states?

They're sold here under the John Deere label, and the Cub Cadet label. There's a thread here recently that said they were going to start marketing them directly here under their own name.

I have one in the John Deere flavor.

I also have an Echo, just to keep my neighbors confused. :D

Vernon Tull said:
Are Echo saws still made in Japan? From a year of reading and watching here on the Arborist message board, it seems I recall that many of you fellows have given Echo saws fairly good reviews and ratings. Is this true, or has it been just one or two fellows who like Echo products?

I'm looking at an Echo CS-520 (50cc) for homeowner purposes. How does it stack up against a Husqvarna 350 in terms of quality?

Echo is a fine product. Been around a long time and I think they are the worlds No.1 selling weed trimmer. Our present Stihl rep used to be a Echo rep and he told me they (Echo) was the worlds No.1 selling weed trimmer when he worked for them years ago. Don't know if that's still the case now or not.

All the Echo saws I've ever had my hands on seem well built. All the ones I've run and seen run seem to be lacking a tad in the power department but they do run fine. I don't think Echo built they're saws with speed and power on their mind but instead a good running unit with long life in mind.

The only problem with Echo is Home Depot. They sell tons of them and it seems every week a Echo comes to me for a very minor repair of some sort and I have no parts for them. No one in my town does including the Home Depot that sells them. People get very frustrated over that so where ever you decide to buy yours make sure there is someone nearby that carries a few parts for them. Air filters and fuel filters will always be needed no matter what brand it is and its a pain to have to track down something that minor....

Last edited:
I don't have alot of saw experience but am also looking for a saw to cut 5-6 cord of wood and some yearly storm/cull stuff. I've looked at some Stihl,Husqvarna and Echo. I noticed on the mid saws like the Stihl MS 270/290 and Husq 250/455 that the body for lack of proper term are made of plastic where as the Echo CS-520 is made of plastic and metal around the case. Not sure if these are of importance these days? I know they make some tough plastics.

The echo cs-520 would make an excellent saw for what your intended use is. My employer handed me one this spring to clear a lot we lease (15-20 cords)and that thing still impresses me. not having any time behind a 270 or 290 but i bet my 520 will hold its own. echo's only downfall is their lake of support. I imagine like any good saw if you take care of it it will take care of you.

Well, I am not one to care about the way something looks, only the way it performs. However, I think most of us agree that looks do matter! That being said, I think the Echo saws look extremely tacky and too busy. Their color scheme is crowded and cheap looking...not too much better than the Poulan Wild Thing! As for performance, I can't say as I have never owned or operated one. I can vouch for Shindaiwa products. The Shindaiwa 488 is a decent saw with a PROVEN track record of durability - not a powerhouse, just a quality machine. My little 350 has likely been through about 750 cords of hardwood limbs (8" and less in diameter) with a 14 or 16" bar and 3/8LP chain. She is still going strong with great compression, easy starting and good performance with no major repairs, only MINOR wear and tear items. All Shindaiwas have 2 ring pistons - if that means anything to you - there was even a thread on 2 ring pistons on here...read it if you like.

I don't know about lack of support, there seems to be plenty here in NE Ohio. Echo is the only saw company (that i know of) that give's FREE manuals both parts and operator online for every product ever made by them. No sense paying 10-15 bucks on ebay anymore. Some parts may be hard to find in every corner of the world, and i wish they sold them direct online but they don't. As for the Home Depot dealers you take a chance getting it worked on by them down the road, but you can find a dealer in the phone book or online from their website and i am sure anyone will work on them that is a dealer no matter where it was bought. But this is just my .02...Bob

Although I am not a pro, I have been running Echo saws for several years. I currently have a CS-346 and a CS-670. They both perform flawlessly. I cut about 8-9 cords of firewood and a few logs, posts, etc. I use the 346 for about for 75% of my cutting because it's SO light that I never get tired of running it. If I were a pro, I'd have to use a bigger saw to make a better profit, but as a cut for fun/wood heat cutter, the 346 is better, IMHO. Even with it, I can cut in a couple of hours, what I can cut, split and haul in the rest of the day. If I could reduce my cutting time to zero, it really wouldn't make much difference in my time per cord, but I wouldn't get to run the saw as long. I'd only be eliminating the fun part.

Honestly, the only reason that I would try anything else is simply to try something else. Which I intend to do.

Bob Wright said:
I don't know about lack of support, there seems to be plenty here in NE Ohio. Echo is the only saw company (that i know of) that give's FREE manuals both parts and operator online for every product ever made by them. No sense paying 10-15 bucks on ebay anymore. Some parts may be hard to find in every corner of the world, and i wish they sold them direct online but they don't. As for the Home Depot dealers you take a chance getting it worked on by them down the road, but you can find a dealer in the phone book or online from their website and i am sure anyone will work on them that is a dealer no matter where it was bought. But this is just my .02...Bob

Good point Bob. I never seen that much go wrong with Echo's other than a odd and end part of some sort. I got one on the bench now, a older Echo saw that needs a new carb boot. The guy that owns it has been searching for it for months. I'll use that info you gave and help him get that part, thanks for the info Bob, will come in handy.......

Heres a current Echo that isn't for the average homeowner, but i would take a dozen of them if i could snag some. Its not avail in the USA and its 116cc, so you guys overseas could be my best buddy :D , but you are anyway...Bob

Bob Wright said:
Heres a current Echo that isn't for the average homeowner, but i would take a dozen of them if i could snag some. Its not avail in the USA and its 116cc, so you guys overseas could be my best buddy :D , but you are anyway...Bob

Nice looking saw, real nice looking. How big is that bad boy??

Back