Opinions on ECHO Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Wright said:
IEcho is the only saw company (that i know of) that give's FREE manuals both parts and operator online for every product ever made by them.

I know Dolmar offers parts and owners manuals for their current saws. Shindaiwa offers parts manuals for every saw they have ever made...never had a need to search for their trimmers, blowers, etc. so I don't know about that.

I have said it before and I will say it again...If you buy a saw from a quality manufacturer, you will likely be happy with it. It is dealer support and parts availability that will turn anyone sour on a product. I choose not to own a Stihl because my local dealer is a TOOL and I don't feel like trecking over 60 miles to get to the next (although, very nice) dealer.

Bob Wright said:
Heres a current Echo that isn't for the average homeowner, but i would take a dozen of them if i could snag some. Its not avail in the USA and its 116cc, so you guys overseas could be my best buddy :D , but you are anyway...Bob

Wicked.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever figured out how much of a problem it would be to have someone buy a saw like this and ship it over to the US?

I work with a guy that is pro Shindawia and i was going thru his new catalog and i had a real hard time not believing that Echo and Shindawia weren't made in the same factory by the same people they were that close internal anyways. I even looked around on the net for some clue's but found none. Maybe engineer's went to same school :hmm3grin2orange: ...Bob

computeruser said:
Wicked.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever figured out how much of a problem it would be to have someone buy a saw like this and ship it over to the US?
I contacted the Corporate Marketing Mgr for the Singapore and Malaysia country's and once she found out i was in the US it was forget you. She said it wouldn't go thru customs as it is banned by the epa for whatever they have to do with it. I said tear it apart and put it in 3 containers for shipping. She said buy a plane ticket come get it and carry it home...Bob

Bob Wright said:
I contacted the Corporate Marketing Mgr for the Singapore and Malaysia country's and once she found out i was in the US it was forget you. She said it wouldn't go thru customs as it is banned by the epa for whatever they have to do with it. I said tear it apart and put it in 3 containers for shipping. She said buy a plane ticket come get it and carry it home...Bob

hahaha, guess she told you Bob,lolol. Just messing with ya. Bring back two Bob, I'll take one of those big boys. That saw looks good, real good.......

Thanks Ray for posting that link. That CS-1201 looks impressive. It would be interesting to see what it would cost to import that big saw. I wonder why it is not sold here. EPA?

Hey Four Paws. You might like the overseas Echos. Every one of the models is dressed in orange and black. They look alot prettier, that's for sure. The CS-4400 is still available out of the US in orange and black. My poor Echo looks alittle homely with its gray finish.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Buy it in Mexico...they don't give a ???? there. Heck you can still buy R-12 refridgerant down there...$80+ per pound here and you have to be certified to install/service it, and down there it is still made, sold and distributed. I guess the polution and hazardous CFCs that eat the ozone only eat it up over polluting foreign countries. To hell with the EPA...they take all our fun away. Like a few thousand chainsaws are ever going to add up to the pollution of 1 space shuttle launch, 1 Nascar race (don't forget the tires), or 1 _________ (you fill in the blank). Put catalytic convertors on those stock cars, or, better yet, make them Hybrids :laugh:

Urbicide said:
Hey Four Paws. You might like the overseas Echoes. Every one of the models is dressed in orange and black. They look alot prettier, that's for sure. The CS-4400 is still available out of the US in orange and black. My poor Echo looks alittle homely with its gray finish.:cheers:

Yup, the overseas models fit my taste a little better!

I did find a guy on the other chainsaw group from Japan and he even has a CS-80S Echo the first model made by them. I told him i would sell a right body part to pay for it. :laugh: ...Bob

I would swear by my echos......

but i prolly jinx my self :bang:

readily available parts, relatively easy to work on......

lacks power band (top end)

but....will "pull' through most ne thing

" if you know how to cut "

GREAT SAWS

Bob Wright said:
Heres a current Echo that isn't for the average homeowner, but i would take a dozen of them if i could snag some. Its not avail in the USA and its 116cc, so you guys overseas could be my best buddy :D , but you are anyway...Bob

That would make a mean milling machine, wouldn't it?

:biggrinbounce2:

I bought a CS-346 a couple of months back. The main reason I bought it is because I have an Echo blower that I just abuse the heck out of and it starts right up every time.

Now I love it because it is so darn light, I can cut with it for a looonng time without being tired by the saw's weight.

So far, so good.

I think Echo saws are some of the finest. Not real fast, kinda heavy (their 670 and 8000) but they run forever and never fail to start. I have an older CS-300 and it is indestructable. My CS-670 takes a terrible beating and just asks for more. I run Homelite XL-12s, Super XL-925s, Wiz 66s, Super Mini VIs, and Stihl MS-460s and the CS-300 and CS-670. I would buy (and probably will relatively soon) another CS-670. Great saw. It works as hard as I do and never quits. I run it with a 20" bar and use it for limbing. The felling is done with the Stihls.

Bob Wright said:
I don't know about lack of support, there seems to be plenty here in NE Ohio. Echo is the only saw company (that i know of) that give's FREE manuals both parts and operator online for every product ever made by them. No sense paying 10-15 bucks on ebay anymore. Some parts may be hard to find in every corner of the world, and i wish they sold them direct online but they don't. As for the Home Depot dealers you take a chance getting it worked on by them down the road, but you can find a dealer in the phone book or online from their website and i am sure anyone will work on them that is a dealer no matter where it was bought. But this is just my .02...Bob

sorry bob for saying lack of support. I believe you touched on my point but also when i have gone to get parts in central ohio everything has to be ordered. on top of that some of the local shops have Sthils on the shelves and they tend to push you more towards them like Echo is the redheaded stepchild. how does it go "ask any pro".

StihlaMan said:
sorry bob for saying lack of support. I believe you touched on my point but also when i have gone to get parts in central ohio everything has to be ordered. on top of that some of the local shops have Sthils on the shelves and they tend to push you more towards them like Echo is the redheaded stepchild. how does it go "ask any pro".
I Agree, Maybe orangeheaded stepchild :laugh: ...Bob

Back