Opinions on non-auto tune/ M-tronic 60cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-J

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for something non auto tune, no m-tronic. Something with a H, L, and Idle adjustment (even if I have to grind limiters).

Ideally I would buy new, and it would be ~13lbs PH with 4+hp. but I have a feeling this is becoming harder to find. I want enough power to turn a 24" bar with full chisel cutters.

I live up north so frozen green spruce/pine would be the hardest wood I would encounter, some sized around 30" though.

I am mechanically inclined so fixing up a old saw may be an option.

What would your choice be? Used or new?

I think you can still get the 365 and 372 without autotune. Weight may be an issue, but with a lightweight bar, you will be close.

I was in the same boat as you are. In the end I narrowed it down to either a Stihl MS362 or an Echo CS620/Shindaiwa 600 (same saw, different color).
Both are magnificent saws, 100% professional grade gear and you cannot go wrong with either.

In the end I opted for the Stihl. Yes, it has M-Tronic but I am not concerned about it. The thing is built well (I've already stripped it down to have a look) and the Stihl dealership is just 10 miles away.

If I were buying a new saw like the one you described it would a Dolmar 6100.

Used, I'd go stihl 036, 360, 361. I've owned a 361, which was a very nice saw, and I currently own an 036. They're pretty light for the power they have.

Personally, if you want to run a 25" bar, I'd be inclined to run a 70cc saw. Not much heavier in most cases, and definitely more effective with a longer bar. I run a 20" on my 70cc saws most of the time, and a 16 on the 036. I'm in the hardwood belt, though, so your circumstances may be much different.

361 or 362 first edition. The 362 is still for sale new at my dealer. They don't even keep 362 MTronics in stock.

Dolmar 6100 is my first choice.

And it really talks with a 20" I have no problem tackling a 30" oak or hickory with the 6100. But I don't have tons of 30+in hardwood trees to tackle.

An echo 620 would be a saw I would look at as well. A husky 365 is also a great saw. Lots of fun saws to choose from. Have fun and try as many as you can.

I'm looking for something non auto tune, no m-tronic. Something with a H, L, and Idle adjustment (even if I have to grind limiters).

Ideally I would buy new, and it would be ~13lbs PH with 4+hp. but I have a feeling this is becoming harder to find. I want enough power to turn a 24" bar with full chisel cutters.

I live up north so frozen green spruce/pine would be the hardest wood I would encounter, some sized around 30" though.

I am mechanically inclined so fixing up a old saw may be an option.

What would your choice be? Used or new?

60 cc Dolmar & Echo saws sound like a good deal new. Used I am a believer in the 034-036 series saws as I have put very many hours on those models for years and wittnessed the lives of a couple others. As reliable as saws come IMO and strong for their size, great power to weight ratio. Fact is most of them kept going through the 361 era around here and I never often saw 361' s which I believe may be as good or better option . I've used a couple a little, but never owned 1 running very long. If you are cutting some 30" wood year to year with a 25" bar though I think I'd opt for an 044 or ms440, open up the muffler a bit and keep a sharp chain and you would have a considerably better tool for the job. To me the 044-440 saws handle a feel as light as many of the 60ish cc saws mentioned such as the Jonsered 2159. If they are or not, that generation of Husky 70 cc saws felt heavier to me handling on the job. The o44's are light enough they feel to me good limbing where as an 372 feels more like a big saw with a little more power.
Here is an idea i think would be more efficient for you. Get a new cs590 or comparably priced 60 cc ( $400ish I think) + find you an 70 to 80 cc saw used for 3 to $400. Use the crap out of the new saw while its under warranty and take the bigger boy with you when the trees are upward of 20".

Personally, I'd never put a 24" bar on a 60cc saw. That's just 70cc territory for me but I know you guys with soft woods can get away with a little longer bar in soft woods. I've been running my 2159 with a 18" bar for years and it seems like the perfect match. Now that it's ported though I feel like it will do great with a 20" bar. I also put some west coast dogs on it so maybe a 24" bar isn't unreasonable but I don't think it can oil the bar. That would be my hesitation on a 24" bar on any 60cc saw.

Personally, I'd never put a 24" bar on a 60cc saw. That's just 70cc territory for me but I know you guys with soft woods can get away with a little longer bar in soft woods. I've been running my 2159 with a 18" bar for years and it seems like the perfect match. Now that it's ported though I feel like it will do great with a 20" bar. I also put some west coast dogs on it so maybe a 24" bar isn't unreasonable but I don't think it can oil the bar. That would be my hesitation on a 24" bar on any 60cc saw.

The shagbark hickory and oak that he was cutting above seemed OK. I mean, I've got an 18" bar on my 555, and it rips, but I've seen especially ported 6100 and 562 that seem to pull a 24 just fine in hardwood. Based on what Weimdog has said of his, though, his 562 is almost as fast as a 70+cc saw, but it's a little more touchy, in that you can't lean on it as much, and just have to let the chain do the work. Chain has to be sharp, etc.

Mike

The shagbark hickory and oak that he was cutting above seemed OK. I mean, I've got an 18" bar on my 555, and it rips, but I've seen especially ported 6100 and 562 that seem to pull a 24 just fine in hardwood. Based on what Weimdog has said of his, though, his 562 is almost as fast as a 70+cc saw, but it's a little more touchy, in that you can't lean on it as much, and just have to let the chain do the work. Chain has to be sharp, etc.

Mike
No doubt the power is there, it generally comes down to oiling the bar. I agree with you though.

Awesome feedback. I have some good ammo now to search the used and new in box markets. I think a 24" bar in soft pine and spruce will be a non issue, as long as its oiled. The domar 6100 is interesting.... hmmmm

I also have a 390xp though so if things get too big it will come out regardless.

Latest posts

Back