Opinions on oregon vanguard 72v chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigair

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a local source for oregon chains, and can get them alot cheaper than stihls. Anyone have any experience using their vanguard series (72,73 & 75v) chains. These are their low kickback design, but don't have the humped links like stihls. Instead they have an angled bent over raker. They claim that they cut as just as fast as their non kickback chains. most of you guys probably hate non kickback chains, but I don't cut for a living. I only cut for firewood.

Do a search..this was recently discussed. I have used a couple since getting my 359 and they seem to cut pretty well, but I intend to try some others to see how they compare. I think considering them a "low kickback chain" is misleading since they are full chisel and don't have those hump straps or whatever they are called.

For plunge cuts, I like the plain ol' bumper link Carlton LM-BL or Oregon LP. In the nose, the Vanguard raker acts like a cutter facing backwards. On the picture shown, I filed the leading edges of the rakers down, so this is not really a fair picture of how they can stick out, and give you a pretty rough time in a plunge.

It's amazing how so many sawyers feel like their little baby private part will somehow get smaller, if they are seen using a chain with bumper driver links. A lot of shops don't carry it.

Also, check the raker heights on your new Vanguard chain -- on the two I've seen the rakers were not even in height, and some required a fair amount of filing.

attachment.php

I've used quite a large number of these chains due to company trying to save a few $$$. In my opinion, I wouldn't use them. The people that buy these chains for us are not using them, if they did, they wouldn't buy them anymore. The rakers are hard to file down properly and when you do finally get them where the chain will cut decently, it kicks back worse than your regular chain. Also, a large percentage of the ones we've used come with one or two teeth on the chain that a brand new file will just slip across and never sharpen. No matter what you do to those teeth, you can't file with a hand file. I would never buy this chain for my own personal use.

I bought some a while back and wasn't impressed at all...raker height was all over the map, from about .011-.018, measured with calipers on a straight edge. As a result, cutting speed was a little slow. I was using a Husky 395, 24" bar, green red oak; no problems with low power.

I put a fresh loop of it on a Homelite S-EZ to cut up slabs and limbs to boil sap today. I think they got the problems solved w/QC. I had a lot of fun with the little saw, full bar cuts in soft popple, cuts easy, smooth and fast. This is a 42 CC saw!

I'd say the stuff is definitely worth a second look.

What about Windsor chains. Chisel or semi chisel? Homeowner tree cutting, sometimes in dirty wood that dulls my chains out fast. Otherwise just keeping up with bonefire wood from fallen trees and storms. Using oregon chains now with low kickback. Seem to dull fast.

Last edited:
This stuff work great when new! Fast cutting and low vibration. But I have never yet been able to duplicte the new performance after two or three sharpenings. Beware that 72V uses a 3/16 file rather than 7/32. But the rakers are a bear to cut down! I may master sharpening it yet....or just give up on it!

Jimbo

Back