Opinions on these

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper15

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a new saw for this fall, I have a few in mind but would like honest opinions from people that have actually used them. The list is as follows: Stihl 460, 660, Husqvarna 358XP, 395XP. I will mainly be running a 28"-32" bar and 3/8" chain. I own an old Stihl 041AV now that dates 1979, I know what this saw has been through for the last 17 years that why I bought it and put a 24" on it. Good saw have never seen anything go wrong with it. My knowledge is limited on the Husqvarnas but I consider them to be just as good as Stihl and vise versa. It's a matter of how much goes wrong with Husqvarnas compared to Stihls. I figure if I'm going to spend $800- $900 on a saw I'd like to know it's not going to fall apart or always be in the shop. I will be getting into big trees of upto 6' diameter and most likey hardwoods for most of my cutting. I will not be using it for limbing as I use the 041 and Poulan 295 for that. This new saw will be for fellingand some bucking on bigger trees.

I would choose the brand based on the quality of the local dealer, the go with the 660 or 395XP based on the fact that you'll be into 6' hardwoods.

I agree with fwf. If you're into big Missou hardwoods, go with the bigger saws. 660 or 395. 395 should cost less, but also like he said, it'll come down to dealers. I'm a Stihl guy, and have ran a 660. It's a pleasure of saw to use, and I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you were out here on the West Coast, you could get by with a smaller saw, but would still be well off with either of the two bigger ones.

Jeff

I agree with above get the 066 (stihl guy). Either saw should suit you well. The 44 would do it, but with a open muffler on the 066 you will be much happier.

Talk to one of the saw builders in their forum and see about getting them to slightly build one.

Latest posts

Back