Stihl ms 362cm piston browning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooman362

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
Want to share some strange things about piston on my ms 362cm.. Chainsaw is one year old and has about 20 tank's of work. Used husqvarna xp oil 3 tanks, rest was ls+, and stihl ultra oil for mix with petrol 95 with 5% ethanol, always fresh mix.
So please advise what is wrong, chainsaw is working properly for now. And i have old stihl 17 years, piston look like new...
IMG_20231025_173603_(1080_x_1080_piksel).jpgIMG_20231025_173705_(1080_x_1080_piksel).jpgIMG_20231025_173818_(1080_x_1080_piksel).jpgIMG_20231025_173831_(1080_x_1080_piksel).jpg

Looks normal to me.
Browning is usually caused by short cuts which leave the cylinder wet with fuel.
I use it like a allround chainsaw, for bucking 25" logs and limbing 5" branches.
Hopefully is all ok, but i was little scar for piston

It's just that every piston I see on web that's in good shape and with lot's of hours doesn't have this browning thing on it... Trying to understand why is this happening and can I continue working?

It's just that every piston I see on web that's in good shape and with lot's of hours doesn't have this browning thing on it... Trying to understand why is this happening and can I continue working?
It’s a coating of oil “burnt” onto the piston. Similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. I wouldn’t worry about it. If you have ocd of such things u can use echo red shield oil. It may cut down on it. Like I said I wouldn’t worry about it. I have seen this on saws I’ve torn down. Also let the saw idle for a bit and cool down befbefore you shut it would also help

Hello,
Want to share some strange things about piston on my ms 362cm.. Chainsaw is one year old and has about 20 tank's of work. Used husqvarna xp oil 3 tanks, rest was ls+, and stihl ultra oil for mix with petrol 95 with 5% ethanol, always fresh mix.
There have been reports of similar issues when using Stihl Ultra oil which is only JASO "FB" rated and was designed for the Stihl 4-mix engine. You may get better results with a JASO "FD" oil like Echo Red Armor.

Husqvarna ls+ semi synthetic is rated fd.. That's most I've used... Xp synthetic is also fd.
OK im glad that's nothing to worry about, thanks 😉

There have been reports of similar issues when using Stihl Ultra oil which is only JASO "FB" rated and was designed for the Stihl 4-mix engine. You may get better results with a JASO "FD" oil like Echo Red Armor.
I don’t use Stihl ultra. I use there premium stuff in the white bottle. I like it because it has a fuel stabilizer in it.

Hello,
So please advise what is wrong, chainsaw is working properly for now. And i have old stihl 17 years, piston look like new...
View attachment 1122661View attachment 1122662View attachment 1122663View attachment 1122664
Have no idea why you removed the muffler to begin with but I would put my money on the ethanol. Worse thing they ever did and it is hell on a 2 stroke. Especially hard on the carbs. They also lie about the content in fuel. Lord only knows how much there really is in there. JMHO :cool: OT

Have no idea why you removed the muffler to begin with but I would put my money on the ethanol. Worse thing they ever did and it is hell on a 2 stroke. Especially hard on the carbs. They also lie about the content in fuel. Lord only knows how much there really is in there. JMHO :cool: OT
It's oil related not fuel. Fuel will not color a piston on the sides. Trash Ultra will. I bought enough used Stihls saws running the silver bottle they sell with a silver 👅 to know better.

It was explained above incase you missed it.

Bad fuel is why I lost two engines this year in August and September. One two stroke weed whip and one small four-stroke Honda 5.5 pressure washer. Suspected Eth20% or more. They went lean, got too hot and sized the piston. 40-1 mix of top grade oil. The washer was just gas not mixed. The water in the fuel obviously leaned these out so the piston stuck during shutdown.

It's oil related not fuel. Fuel will not color a piston on the sides. Trash Ultra will. I bought enough used Stihls saws running the silver bottle they sell with a silver 👅 to know better.

It was explained above incase you missed it.

Bad fuel is why I lost two engines this year in August and September. One two stroke weed whip and one small four-stroke Honda 5.5 pressure washer. Suspected Eth20% or more. They went lean, got too hot and sized the piston. 40-1 mix of top grade oil. The washer was just gas not mixed. The water in the fuel obviously leaned these out so the piston stuck during shutdown.
Damned EPA caused it!

Latest posts

Back