Stihl ms 362cm piston browning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damned EPA caused it!
No I did by running cheap pump gas and already knowing better.

Switching to boat gas and storing it in a steel VP fuel barrel at my place. No more mistakes with the brusiers coming back to life. Feels like the season of the witch.

Attachments

• 20231012_154458.jpg
    20231012_154458.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello,
Want to share some strange things about piston on my ms 362cm.. Chainsaw is one year old and has about 20 tank's of work. Used husqvarna xp oil 3 tanks, rest was ls+, and stihl ultra oil for mix with petrol 95 with 5% ethanol, always fresh mix.
So please advise what is wrong, chainsaw is working properly for now. And i have old stihl 17 years, piston look like new...
View attachment 1122661View attachment 1122662View attachment 1122663View attachment 1122664
Have a 441 here looks exactly like your piston always ran on Stihl silver bottle mix oil. Ultradirty, yup.

And does it really matter if its doing that ?
I can't see where that funny ripple of brown affects anything. These ring lands were not clogged up like most times when I see this accumulated brown. It does remind me of castor oil.

That said castor clogs things by design. Stihl oil usually plugs up the spark screen and then the exhaust side ring lands from heat because it just can't breathe.

I can't see where that funny ripple of brown affects anything. These ring lands were not clogged up like most times when I see this accumulated brown. It does remind me of castor oil.

That said castor clogs things by design. Stihl oil usually plugs up the screen amd them the e haust side ring lands from heat and it just can't breathe.
I have seen the screens clog with Amsoil and Husky oil prob a ratio thing.

I have seen the screens clog with Amsoil and Husky oil prob a ratio thing.
They did run 50-1 in all eight of those saws from that guy. Always purchased new he said. The headge trimmer and 200T wouldn't even start with the spark plugs and screens in those. It was ugly in every single muffler. His dealer tuned them fat, too fat. I buy everything when I see that. Left with ten tools from there.

He has a damn near mint 084 I'm going to buy someday they still cut big stumps with. Runs a 404 41 looks like new still so the guys hate it he said. Maybe has twenty tanks through it or less he said. Small crews don't like big trees with miniskids and only a twelve inch chipper.

Have no idea why you removed the muffler to begin with but I would put my money on the ethanol. Worse thing they ever did and it is hell on a 2 stroke. Especially hard on the carbs. They also lie about the content in fuel. Lord only knows how much there really is in there. JMHO :cool: OT
I'm not that knowledgeable about chainsaws but want to learn about them so i try things... And that piston almost gave me a heart attack 😬 yeah I agree on the bad petrol, but I by for my mix expensive one only.

Hello,
Want to share some strange things about piston on my ms 362cm.. Chainsaw is one year old and has about 20 tank's of work. Used husqvarna xp oil 3 tanks, rest was ls+, and stihl ultra oil for mix with petrol 95 with 5% ethanol, always fresh mix.
So please advise what is wrong, chainsaw is working properly for now. And i have old stihl 17 years, piston look like new...
View attachment 1122661View attachment 1122662View attachment 1122663View attachment 1122664
Coking caused by ashless oil.
Strato engines like this are more susceptible to this because the pistons run at hotter temps.
If allowed to continue like this the ring lands will plug up and that will result in more wear and or a loss of compression.

Nearest dealer has Stihl oil.. Hp Super thats FD.. Then Ultra... Husky XP+, Ls+... Echo only has Powerblend x... Motul 710....
I'm thinking staying on XP....

They did run 50-1 in all eight of those saws from that guy. Always purchased new he said. The headge trimmer and 200T wouldn't even start with the spark plugs and screens in those. It was ugly in every single muffler. His dealer tuned them fat, too fat. I buy everything when I see that. Left with ten tools from there.

He has a damn near mint 084 I'm going to buy someday they still cut big stumps with. Runs a 404 41 looks like new still so the guys hate it he said. Maybe has twenty tanks through it or less he said. Small crews don't like big trees with miniskids and only a twelve inch chipper.
Carbs running rich cause screen plugging, not oil ratio.

Latest posts

Back