Opti 2 confusion (this is not an oil thead)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
Reaction score
So my neighbors have been running Opti2 for years and have had good luck with it. I thought id give it a try so i picked up 2 pouches of 1 gallon mix. They are 1.8oz..

So 128oz / 1.8 = 71.1:1 ratio.

At local farm store last night and they Opti2 in 2.5 gal mix pouches. They are 3.2oz..

So 128 x 2.5= 320 Then 320/3.2= 100:1

Shouldnt it be 4.5oz in 2.5 gal of gas to maintain 71:1 ratio per the one gallon mix pouches?

320/4.5= 71.1:1

Whats up with that?
Has anyone else noticed this?

I dont care what oil you use

This is the problem with a question like this. I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR OIL..................... AT ALL.......... I asked about opti2 ratios and that is it. Can't you people see that. If I had asked WHAT OIL DO YOU LIKE, then I might care.

IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ANSWER THAT CONTRIBUTES TO MY QUESTION THEN DONT POST!

Should be running Husky low smoke at 32-1.

How much valvoline do you add? I used to go with .361 ounces per gallon of 10w 30 (high mileage if the saw is older than September of 1993) But I've since been adding rv antifreeze at a 1.15 to 1 ratio.

Edit/ The varying amounts in the bottle probably are to account for the waste left over. You can't get every last drop out.

Last edited:
Easy there 410 when asking about oil expect having a little fun poked at you.

I'd try to call Opti2 and see what they have to say before guessing what may or may not be going on.

I used Opti2 for years on my first saw, a 076, followed the directions, had no problems. Let us know what you find out.

Asked my local dealer the same question when I noticed this. Answer:

Oil pretty much used to be oil- so you needed X amount per gallon to provide proper lubrication. Too little, then insufficient lube. Now it's changed. The oil itself is more just like a carrier for all of the other compounds within it that are the actual lubricants. Many companies still give you 2.6oz as it's the convention and people know it and would balk at change. Hence, lots of mixes (example Tanaka) say one mix will lube everything, from 50:1 to 16:1, from the same 2.6 oz bottle- Same amount of oil, but the other stuff in it does the work. So, 1.8 oz of very concentrated oil / chemical soup can do multi ratio. And that's what Opti claims, look at their www.

:fart:
This is the problem with a question like this. I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR OIL..................... AT ALL.......... I asked about opti2 ratios and that is it. Can't you people see that. If I had asked WHAT OIL DO YOU LIKE, then I might care.

IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ANSWER THAT CONTRIBUTES TO MY QUESTION THEN DONT POST!

"(this is not an oil thread)." In what way?

You have 824 posts (at the time of this post), and you expect folks here to only answer your specific question(s)? Good luck with that :msp_flapper: :msp_lol:!

I wouldn't run ANY 2-cycle oil at the mix ratios that you posted, no matter what claims the manufacturer makes. At minimum run the opti2 at 50:1.

Mike I don't have a answer to your question,but now you have me curious. I have been using Opti-2 since the 90's and never had a problem. I usually buy the gallon size by the case,that way I can mix up as little or as much as I need for the job. Contacting Opti might be a good idea.

You have 824 posts (at the time of this post), and you expect folks here to only answer your specific question(s)? Good luck with that :msp_flapper: :msp_lol:!

I wouldn't run ANY 2-cycle oil at the mix ratios that you posted, no matter what claims the manufacturer makes. At minimum run the opti2 at 50:1.

I smell what your fartin! Good write up.

fwiw this seems more like a question about high performance synthetic ester lubrcation. obviously this is not cheap dino based standard mix ratio. its a trust issue like farting with diarea you trust your engine parts to this mix? castor!:msp_scared:

I think they put a little extra in the pouches because they are so small and some people might not get all the oil squeezed out of them when adding it to their fuel.
FWIW i run OPTI 2 at 64:1 in our 2-stroke motocross bikes from 50cc to 250cc and of course use the same fuel in the saws/blowers/trimmers. It is the cleanest burning oil I've tried. No carbon buildup. Also, I can't measure any wear on pistons and rings on the bikes when I tear them down. I won't run any other oil. I buy it in gallon jugs.

My post was pre coffee this am and what are you trying to say about my 824 posts?

I am not a big poster as I do not have internet at home nor do I want to check as every 10 min.

Latest posts

Back