Opti-2 mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a question. When I bought my new Dolmar 5100s the dealer gave me a bottle of Opti-2 mix. He said I only needed 100:1. The manual says 100:1 with Dolmar super oil. Should I mix it at 100:1 or 50:1. I do not have any experience with the Opti-2. The dealer told me it was some of the best oil you could buy though. Any feedback would be awesome.

Don't get me wrong it is good oil,we run it in all 16 of our snowmobile rentals. I do have customers that run it in there saws but I reccommend against it.

Opti-2 is a specialized two-cycle, single mix ratio lubricant engineered for use in all two-cycle engines, regardless of brand, model, or mix ratio.
Opti-2 is rated ISO-EG-D+, the highest rating available in the stringent International Standards Organization global performance ratings system. Opti-2 meets and exceeds all equipment manufacturers rating requirements.
Opti-2 is formulated utilizing patented Eutectic additive technology that provides exclusive performance results

http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html

I use Mobil 2 Racing Oil and high test gas. I could run 100:1, but for every day use in the woods I run 50:1 and am happy with the performance of all saws. Plus, I like the extra lubrication as a safety factor for the long life of my saws. If I thought there was a significant difference in performance, then I'd consider the 100:1. I do use that mix on my piped 361 in lumberjack events of short duration. Bottom line, is you pays your money and takes your choice. I'm happy with mine.

If Stihl sells a competing product they wouldn't have much incentive to endorse Opti-2.

Any one using it for awhile, look inside your muffler and see if there is much carbon, and look at the while your in there

And if I made a two stoke oil it would be in my best interest to say it worked great for every 2 stoke engine.

Product marketing relies upon differentiation. You can't differentiate by calling your product "everything to everyone." I'm not defending Opti-2's product or marketing, but there's also no reason to think that Stihl's marketing is more virtuous.

Hmmmm....

Dolmar will waranty thier product(Known quantity) running thier oil(Known quantity) at 100:1, But others(unknown quntity) only if run at 50:1.

So I would assume some Dolmar dudes in Lab Coats tested some stuff, and then told the guys in the 3pc. suits who write the manuals what happened.

BINGO!! As tolerences grow with use, some other oils at 100:1 do not provide enough cushion or some such, and they cannot go making statements about others oils.

So..... who's other oils do and don't?

Meh.
Run anything other than Dolmar oil at 50:1 in the saw.

Might cost ya an extra 20 bucks a year if ya run the snot outta the saw, but it's cheaper than the Kleenex you'll need from crying over a fried saw that ain't covered under warranty.

Just my .02 and barnyard logic.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hmmmm....

Dolmar will waranty thier product(Known quantity) running thier oil(Known quantity) at 100:1, But others(unknown quntity) only if run at 50:1.

So I would assume some Dolmar dudes in Lab Coats tested some stuff, and then told the guys in the 3pc. suits who write the manuals what happened.

BINGO!! As tolerences grow with use, some other oils at 100:1 do not provide enough cushion or some such, and they cannot go making statements about others oils.

So..... who's other oils do and don't?

Meh.
Run anything other than Dolmar oil at 50:1 in the saw.

Might cost ya an extra 20 bucks a year if ya run the snot outta the saw, but it's cheaper than the Kleenex you'll need from crying over a fried saw that ain't covered under warranty.

Just my .02 and barnyard logic.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That was the way I was leaning in the first place but with the depth of knowledge here it did not hurt to ask. Is there any performance advantage to running 100:1 over 50:1?

I agree with Dingeryote's statement and I feel the same way. In my Stihl saws I only run their Ultra 2 cycle mix, not because I think it is the best on the market, only to lessen the chance of "issues" if something would happen in the warranty period on the saws. I keep my receipts to show that I have purchased their oil, I think it will put you on more solid footing with talking to a manufacturer's rep if you can show you did exactly what they recommended as far as maintenance goes. On the small tractor discussion groups we have the same arguments, can I put a Wal-Mart oil filter on a new $20,000 Kubota tractor? You sure can but why would you risk it is my response.

Steve

I agree with Dingeryote's statement and I feel the same way. In my Stihl saws I only run their Ultra 2 cycle mix, not because I think it is the best on the market, only to lessen the chance of "issues" if something would happen in the warranty period on the saws. I keep my receipts to show that I have purchased their oil, I think it will put you on more solid footing with talking to a manufacturer's rep if you can show you did exactly what they recommended as far as maintenance goes. On the small tractor discussion groups we have the same arguments, can I put a Wal-Mart oil filter on a new $20,000 Kubota tractor? You sure can but why would you risk it is my response.

Steve

Yes, I would run what the mfg recommends during the warranty period just to avoid any complications. Opti-2 has been around for decades and has proven itself to be an excellent oil at 80:1 (what I run) or 100:1.
The wal-mart oil filter comparison is a little different though, everyone knows that Wal-Mart is known for cheap (both in price and in quality, the 2 go together). Not so with Opti, it is a premium lubricant.

Back