Opti-2 Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOLMARatOs

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using and retailing Opti-2 2-cycle oil for over 10 years. I've used it in all types of 2 cycle equipment and think highly of it.

I recomend 50:1 to 70:1 mixture in modern saws using Opti-2.

Here is my question, without getting into fights. Who has used Opti-2. Specifically who has had good and bad views of it from actual use. I've used it in 30+ year old saws and equipment with no problems. I'd like to hear honest opinions and events based upon use. I've heard horror stories of burned up equipment, but I've also heard the same stories using Klotz, Stihl, Echo, Mobil, Amsoil, etc.

Lets hear what everyone has to say.

I have a commercial customer with a ton of equipment and his own in house service tech. His men aren't gentle on equipment and are in the habit of part throttling string trimmers to the point they won't run anymore. The pistons get "black death" thick gooey oil deposits that stick the rings. His service guy would replace the pistons, clean the jugs and mufflers and send the equipment back out, they weren't scored just glued up. Since switching to OPTI, the service guy isn't doing top end jobs anymore.

You know, this is not an uncommon story. I had a commercial guy who pulled all his spark screens because they were plugging constantly. Then he had to replace or clean mufflers. I gave him some Opti-2, 6 months later I have a standing order for 6 cases a season (in his size bottle: 1400+ gallons of mixed fuel).

Good times. Let us here more tales. Good, bad, indifferent, What is Opti? Anything goes for sure.

Howdy DOLMARatOs,

Here is my experience with it.

Last year bought a used echo 510 with burnt plastic around muffler. Cut about 20 truckloads with no problem. Gave my saw a good cleaning and took off muffler. Piston scorched on exauhst side and some minor scoring on cylinder.

This year went with echo oil and bought another used 2nd 510 with perfect cylinder and piston. Cut wood two weeks ago with life long friend. I used 1st echo and let him use 2nd echo. I take truck load of wood back to house and unload leave buddy with saw. I come back he says he got in the dirt, bar hot and chain is saggin. I put on spare chain and finish up. Take saws home and clean, pull muffler on saw buddy used and scorched piston on exaust side. Not as bas as 1st echo but no longer a virgin. I was mad but I don't know what exactly caused it. Bad gas or buddy leaning on a dull chain. It aint worth a friendship even if it was a 1000 dollar saw.

So I don't know if 1st echo was already scorched for sure but I believe it was, it still cuts good. Second saw don't know, gas was only a couple weeks old with echo oil at 50:1.

What i'm going to do is mix two pouches of OPTI-2 to a gallon (which I have done already) retune saws (will do tomorrow) and cut some wood.

I don't abuse my saws but I do work them. If I can get some added protection from OPTI at double mix I will take it. Although I might get added protection from echo oil if I mixed it richer. I probably would but I aint smart enough to know and I'm not in labratory conditions.

In any case I'm going to keep a close eye on my girls from now on. I recently got a used 3rd echo a 520 (has what looks like a beefier clutch) that is mint. I'm worried about breaking it in. When one of the other two die I will fire number 3 up.

I cant say if its caused any problems or not. The only independent small engine guy in town swears buy it. He only uses 1 pouch to a gallon though.

The verdict is still out for me. I'm kind of liken all these used echos coming my way, heck they work good even with scorched pistons.

v/r

Mike

Opti is available in a lot of different sized containers. I will not mix higher than 50:1. 2.6 ounces per gallon.

I wouldn't recomend mixing (2) pouches (gallon pouches) as they are 1.8 oz packages. This would make a 35:1 mix which would make the saw run very rough.

I stick with 70:1 which is 1.8 oz per gallon. The Opti-2 oil is very thick. The Optimol additive is supposed to protect your engine and allow it to break in without removing material from wear surfaces. I don't happen to own an electron microscope so this is hard for me to verify.

I like it for a few reasons: (1) Easy mix pouches / containers, (2) Contains fuel stabilizer additive, (3) causes less fouling of plugs and builds less carbon, (3) supposed to be compatible with ethanol blended fuels, (4) with the exception of chainsaws I'll put the 100:1 opti mix fuel against any other oil on the market. Now, I run 100:1 Opti-2 in my saws. I run it 100:1 in my race quad. I usually point the customer to the 70:1 pouches to help avoid fudge-ups from them screwing with adjustments, using old fuel or dogging the saw.

DOLMARatOs said:
Opti is available in a lot of different sized containers. I will not mix higher than 50:1. 2.6 ounces per gallon.

I wouldn't recomend mixing (2) pouches (gallon pouches) as they are 1.8 oz packages. This would make a 35:1 mix which would make the saw run very rough.

I stick with 70:1 which is 1.8 oz per gallon. The Opti-2 oil is very thick. The Optimol additive is supposed to protect your engine and allow it to break in without removing material from wear surfaces. I don't happen to own an electron microscope so this is hard for me to verify.

I like it for a few reasons: (1) Easy mix pouches / containers, (2) Contains fuel stabilizer additive, (3) causes less fouling of plugs and builds less carbon, (3) supposed to be compatible with ethanol blended fuels, (4) with the exception of chainsaws I'll put the 100:1 opti mix fuel against any other oil on the market. Now, I run 100:1 Opti-2 in my saws. I run it 100:1 in my race quad. I usually point the customer to the 70:1 pouches to help avoid fudge-ups from them screwing with adjustments, using old fuel or dogging the saw.

Howdy Again DOLMARatOs,
Concerning mixing two pouches to the gallon, what if I retuned my carbs? You think it will still run rough?
Thanks

v/r
Mike

Mike.

I generally tell people to mix their oil by the OIL manufacturer's recomendation. If you want to go 32:1 why not just buy regular oil from your local Wal-dart.

I just wouldn't go past 50:1 with Opti-2 due to it being a very thick oil. I've never used it more than 70:1. Also, if you mix it at a heavier it's going to smoke and foul up plugs, mufflers and ports really fast.

DOLMARatOs said:
Mike.

I generally tell people to mix their oil by the OIL manufacturer's recomendation. If you want to go 32:1 why not just buy regular oil from your local Wal-dart.

I just wouldn't go past 50:1 with Opti-2 due to it being a very thick oil. I've never used it more than 70:1. Also, if you mix it at a heavier it's going to smoke and foul up plugs, mufflers and ports really fast.

Howdy Again,

Thanks for your reply and I mean no offense when I ask this but if you have never gone richer than 50:1 how do you know it will clog up the works, did you once try it to see what would happen? I just want to protect my saws, no saws, no wood, cold winter.

I guess I will go get some more gas to bring up my mix to 50:1 and try to retune my carbs. I just wish I could hear them better.

v/r
Mike

I had the local fire department accidently double the mixture. Caused all sorts of trouble.

I've mixed it heavier on a few occassion years ago and was not pleased. Plus, it smoked like mad.

OK I will thin it down for sure then. Thank You for your knowledge I really do appreciate it.

v/r

Mike

vegaome said:
Howdy DOLMARatOs,

Here is my experience with it.

Last year bought a used echo 510 with burnt plastic around muffler. Cut about 20 truckloads with no problem. Gave my saw a good cleaning and took off muffler. Piston scorched on exauhst side and some minor scoring on cylinder.

This year went with echo oil and bought another used 2nd 510 with perfect cylinder and piston. Cut wood two weeks ago with life long friend. I used 1st echo and let him use 2nd echo. I take truck load of wood back to house and unload leave buddy with saw. I come back he says he got in the dirt, bar hot and chain is saggin. I put on spare chain and finish up. Take saws home and clean, pull muffler on saw buddy used and scorched piston on exaust side. Not as bas as 1st echo but no longer a virgin. I was mad but I don't know what exactly caused it. Bad gas or buddy leaning on a dull chain. It aint worth a friendship even if it was a 1000 dollar saw.

So I don't know if 1st echo was already scorched for sure but I believe it was, it still cuts good. Second saw don't know, gas was only a couple weeks old with echo oil at 50:1.

What i'm going to do is mix two pouches of OPTI-2 to a gallon (which I have done already) retune saws (will do tomorrow) and cut some wood.

I don't abuse my saws but I do work them. If I can get some added protection from OPTI at double mix I will take it. Although I might get added protection from echo oil if I mixed it richer. I probably would but I aint smart enough to know and I'm not in labratory conditions.

In any case I'm going to keep a close eye on my girls from now on. I recently got a used 3rd echo a 520 (has what looks like a beefier clutch) that is mint. I'm worried about breaking it in. When one of the other two die I will fire number 3 up.

I cant say if its caused any problems or not. The only independent small engine guy in town swears buy it. He only uses 1 pouch to a gallon though.

The verdict is still out for me. I'm kind of liken all these used echos coming my way, heck they work good even with scorched pistons.

v/r

Mike

I think I would be more worried about tuning my saw correctly than what oil was being used after two differant meltdowns.

Either you are running them way to lean, or you have an air leak problem.

Howdy Freakingstang,

I'm worried about both since they go hand and hand. I guess I will pick one mix and stick to it. Getting the carbs tunned is the tricky part for me. The bad part of this is I think the first saw was scorched when I got it and I did not even get to run the second that much except for a few test cuts when I bought it used. I have looked both these saw over pretty good and did a nut and bolt on them both. I don't think its an air leak, could be though. I do think the carb is out on the second one. I'm still using the first one and its still cuts good scorched piston and all.

I will try testing for some air leaks and go over them both again. I don't know if the OPTI is ok to run in a damaged saw or not. I was hoping a richer mix might help with making it worse. I will run them till thwy get real bad then try to rebuild them. Thanks and have a good one.

v/r
Mike

I've used OPTI for close to 20 years but not at their suggested ratios, as high as 107 to 1. I think that the one pouch ECHO (OPTI) were about 70:1. I mixed it at 40:1 and never have had a problem. It will leave a thin black crust on the piston though, even at a higher ratio and it will lightly encrust a spark screen but not heavily. I have recently switched to Mobil 1 Racing 2T at 32:1 ratio and my equipment seems to start quicker, idle better, run cooler and generally perform in a superior fashion. Smells a lot better too.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_2T.aspx

Problem Found

Howdy Folks,

Man if you did not already think I was stupid this should seal the deal. I had gone over my second saw (prior to burning it up getting ready to cut), cleaned, check/gap plug, sharpen standard stuff when I noticed the limiter caps where still on and they where chewed up (like previous owner used screw to remove them) but I remember him saying that he never adjusted the carb since he bought it new. Well after seeing that and remembering what he said I figure I better find out where it is set so I took them off and set the H and L lightly in until stopped and then one turn out. I put them there just so I knew wree I was starting from. I never ran the saw and tuned the carbs. I got side tracked by something else and forgot all about it. Until we cut some wood without properly tuning iy. After looking it over again and seeing the caps gone it suddenly came back to me.
My 1st and older 510 is between 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 3/4 out on the high and it is scorched up pretty good but still cuts reasonably well and I really like the balance and feel with an 18" bar. It just feels comfortable.

Anyway, you all are a great help as always and no I still don't know what mix ratio is best for these burnt up saws but right now I have 1.8 gallons of supossedly alcohol free 89 mixed with 3.6 Oz of OPTI-2. I think that puts me at 64:1 which is heavy for OPTI-2 but lighter normal big name mixes. Since both saw are scored it will be difficult to know if its helping any.

Elmore,
I to see a tin black crust on my pistons. Since you have switched to the mobile has that crust gone away? Do you think it hurts the saw having it?

Thanks
v/r

Mike

vegaome said:
Elmore,
I to see a tin black crust on my pistons. Since you have switched to the mobile has that crust gone away? Do you think it hurts the saw having it?

Thanks
v/r

Mike

I don't know...I haven't checked yet. I used to run low octane regular and someone suggested that, too, could be a problem. I now run high test but still run regular in my little Poulan saws. Just ran my ECHO BP400E blower for a few hours and this 20 year old machine ran like a top...using Texaco premium plus Mobil1 Racing 2T and a little STA-BIL.

Howdy Again Elmore,

Is the Texaco premium alcohol free? We only have one station that claims alcohol free so I buy my gas there. Hard to get the good stuff as they always out.

I tried tunning my saws today to that 64:1 OPTI-2 mix. I have the H about 2 and 1/2 turns out on the old saw with a muffler mod. The newer saw is about 2 turns out. I cut a load of wood with the old saw and checked the plug and its dark brown. I think I got it pretty close. I did not cut any with the newer saw yet.

I think I need to get a tach though I just can't hear it properly.

Have a good one.

v/r

Mike

Alcohol free? I assume so. That's why I pay the premium for brands like that or Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc.. Although from what I hear from others, including drivers of fuel delivery trucks, is that they deliver from one distributor to many different named retailers. The only way to check is to put a small volume of fuel into a glass jar or vile, mark the level with a sharpie then add some water, shake it up and observe the line between the water and the fuel. If it has alcohol in it the alcohol will be taken up by the water and the observable line will be lower.

Elmore said:
Alcohol free? I assume so. That's why I pay the premium for brands like that or Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc.. Although from what I hear from others, including drivers of fuel delivery trucks, is that they deliver from one distributor to many different named retailers. The only way to check is to put a small volume of fuel into a glass jar or vile, mark the level with a sharpie then add some water, shake it up and observe the line between the water and the fuel. If it has alcohol in it the alcohol will be taken up by the water and the observable line will be lower.

Elmore,

I'm trying to visualize this but I must be missing something. Do you mark it again after you add the water, then shake it?

Also if there is alcohol and it mixes with the water will the water be an off color or still clear?

Would this work? Put water in a jar first and mark the level and then add some gas and shake it. If there is alcohol it will mix with the water and the water line will be higher than the original water mark.

In any case is adding water a good way to remove the alcohol from gas? If you do this can you pour off the top layer of gas and use it without damaging your equipment?

Sorry for all the questions, I simply don't know enough about this. I guess it should be on a water and gas thread. My appologies to all.

v/r

Mike

I was thinking about what I said about testing for alcohol. Maybe it is - you put water in a jar, mark the level, add the fuel, shake it and if there is alcohol in the fuel the alcohol will combine with the water thereby showing a higher level than your mark. Alcohol is a clear liquid so it shouldn't discolor the water. As far as separating the fuel from the alcohol and the water, I would just look for a name brand high octane fuel and run this test. Look for alcohol free, high octane. Yeah, that's the ticket, I think !!! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back