Opti-2 Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have alchohol testers in our shop. They are a vial with a line and graduated marks. Add water to the line, then add fuel to top line. Cap, shake and sit for a few minutes. Tells us how much alchohol by volume.

Another nice thing about thses is that the additives that are used in winter fuel show up as cloudy water.

These are available from your local saw shop, I guarantee. I know they are available from Briggs & Stratton.

I'll let you know in a year or two as I now have five gallons of the stuff that I paid $20 for at auction. I plan on sticking to my normal 40-1 mix for all my grass cutting equipment.
John.....

Elmore said:
I've used OPTI for close to 20 years but not at their suggested ratios, as high as 107 to 1. I think that the one pouch ECHO (OPTI) were about 70:1. I mixed it at 40:1 and never have had a problem. It will leave a thin black crust on the piston though, even at a higher ratio and it will lightly encrust a spark screen but not heavily. I have recently switched to Mobil 1 Racing 2T at 32:1 ratio and my equipment seems to start quicker, idle better, run cooler and generally perform in a superior fashion. Smells a lot better too.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_2T.aspx

Like I said, I have used Opti-2 for close to twenty years with no problems except for that thin carbon crust being visible...maybe that is their secret. A thin crust of protective carbon. For now on it is Mobil synthetic for my engines.

Let us know in 20 years how much carbon you get from the synthetic. I'm sure most of us will still be glued to the screens...we're addicts to AS.

DOLMARatOs said:
Let us know in 20 years how much carbon you get from the synthetic. I'm sure most of us will still be glued to the screens...we're addicts to AS.

Carbon...synthetic?
One reason I use the synthetic is to avoid carbon buildup. Next time I check my spark arrestor screen or plug I'll let you know. In the meantime the engines seem to operate better. I am about to run the synthetic in my Makita DCS 520i. I have about one more tankful of Opti left in the can. When it's gone I feel confident that my saw will have a thin deposit of protective carbon on the piston. I'm sure that the muffler screen will be protected also. I might post some pics. :laugh:

Elmore said:
Carbon...synthetic?
One reason I use the synthetic is to avoid carbon buildup. Next time I check my spark arrestor screen or plug I'll let you know. In the meantime the engines seem to operate better. I am about to run the synthetic in my Makita DCS 520i. I have about one more tankful of Opti left in the can. When it's gone I feel confident that my saw will have a thin deposit of protective carbon on the piston. I'm sure that the muffler screen will be protected also. I might post some pics. :laugh:

Elmore. How thick of a carbon crust are we talking here? a few microns or what?

The only saws I've ever seen with no carbon on the piston at all were burned up from running too lean. The extreme piston melting heat does a really good job at cleaning the top of your piston.

DOLMARatOs said:
Elmore. How thick of a carbon crust are we talking here? a few microns or what?

The only saws I've ever seen with no carbon on the piston at all were burned up from running too lean. The extreme piston melting heat does a really good job at cleaning the top of your piston.

Thick...I don't know. I'm not worried about it.

vegaome...you can use that fuel/water mix to start a fire on that pile of tops that you built after using your saw. Be careful. :angry2:

Latest posts

Back