Orange coating inside crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechief

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just installed new crank bearings and seals on an 044 and was just have one question. What is the orange rubbery coating inside the crankcase? After I cleaned the case halves up I noticed that a bunch of the coating was flaked off and missing. Does this have any impact on the saw after rebuild? What is it there for? Thanks again guys.

IT sounds like its RTV silicone or case sealer. If its inside the case then someone put wayyyy!! to much on in the first place and it squeezed out into the case. I would clean as much of it out as possible before running the saw. If for some reason your powder coating is coming off in the case then its the same deal and the loose pieces should be removed so they dont end up in the bearings or the scratching the cylinder

Hi again guys,

It was loose powder coating inside the crankcase that was discoloured orange from the years of previous service. I removed all the loose flakey coating before I installed the new bearings and seals. Should the saw be alright? I imagine the powder coating that came off was from the old bearing that seized up and parts went into the crankcase.

Back