Ordering parts from your dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC0802

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If your dealer doesn't have parts in stock, do they charge you a shipping or freight charge to get those parts in? Even when it goes on their daily or regular order with everything else?

I called to order some bits and pieces...a Torx driver to get to the cylinder bolts, an impulse hose, some starter rope, a starter spring, a starter handle, and a grommet for a carb...small stuff, that isn't heavy or bulky, and the guy tells me it could be an additional $8-$12 for the shipping from UPS. That irritates me. If I'm going to pay shipping, it should be delivered to my door, not to the shop where I have to drive to pick it up.

The point of ordering from the local shop is to avoid paying shipping on small orders from a web dealer.

I just would have thought that for the prices the dealers charge, they wouldn't be tacking freight on top of that. I would think they'd be willing to do whatever it takes to keep customers and prevent losing them to internet sales.

You might want to check with another dealer...

So far my dealer has had everthing I needed in stock, and cheaper than I could order it. The one time they did order something, there was no shipping charge.

You might want to check with another dealer...

So far my dealer has had everthing I needed in stock, and cheaper than I could order it. The one time they did order something, there was no shipping charge.

I checked with two. The dealer that's farther away, about a 20 minute drive one way, charges less, but the closer one told me they have to have a total order of $350 between what the store and any customers need to get free shipping.

They told me they have 3 of the 6 parts in stock, so I'll find out tomorrow what the shipping charge is for an 044 impulse hose, a T27x120x70 screwdriver, and a carb grommet for an 066...probably less than 1/2 lbs total.

Something seems very wrong here.
Adding your order to their regular order should be free...it is here anyway.
I just don't buy the "extra $350" jive...I'd call around and see if all dealers say that.
No idea where you are really located...but must in the boonies somewhere.
I think the dealers have the gold mine and you're getting "the shaft"!! LOL!!!
Stihl dealers regularly sell stuff on eBay that doesn't have a warranty.
Find one you can trust and buy from them..worth the reduced hassle for you??
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
How does a dealer stay in business if they don't order stuff regularly like twice or at least once a week?
They're not selling at least one saw or weedeater a week?? Where's the profit margin??
The profit margin is in selling ATV's.

In my area, the saw shops have morphed into ATV shops that sell saws on the side.

I get most of my parts from Baileys or the bay.

I just had this problem too. I figured Id support my local dolmar dealer and ordered parts through him. Hes an hr drive from me already so I had a hard time convincing myself to do it but I did. Thye told me the price on the phone and I get there and they tack on shipping. Ummmm....yeah.....the hell with my local dealer now...Im gonna support online stores!!!!

i get the same run around too. my dealer has VERY few parts in stock,, a couple of bars and chains and a few filters,, the last time i ordered a few parts maybe wighting 1 pd cost me an extra 12 for shipping then had to drive 24 miles round trip to get them

Sounds like one of the local dealers here. I don't buy from them unless I really need the part ASAP and they are the only ones in the area that have it. When I do have to be in there, I make it a point to let them and any other costomers within ear shot know that I hate coming in there and would rather pay shipping charges AND sales tax to buy it anywhere else. Just thinking of stepping foot into that place makes me sick.

Something seems very wrong here.
How does a dealer stay in business if they don't order stuff regularly like twice or at least once a week?
They're not selling at least one saw or weedeater a week?? Where's the profit margin??
Adding your order to their regular order should be free...it is here anyway.
No idea where you are really located...but must in the boonies somewhere.
I think the dealers have the gold mine and you're getting "the shaft"!! LOL!!!
Stihl dealers regularly sell stuff on eBay that doesn't have a warranty.
Find one you can trust and buy from them..worth the reduced hassle for you??
J2F

I'm in Lancaster County, Pa...not the most urban, but hardly the boonies. There are a number of Stihl dealers around. The problem is, they all have things that are good and bad about them.

1.) The closest dealer - great price on buying a chain or two, cheap cases, they're less than 5 minutes away. They're also new to Stihls, they're primarily an agriculture/farm/tractor business.

2.) There's another that's about 15 minutes away...sells some used stuff. Haven't tried to order or actually bought anything from him. He's kind of pushy about this SEF94 gas.

3.) The next dealer is about 20-25 minutes in the opposite direction as the previous shop...I think they do well on their chain pricing, full price for the first, 1/2 price on every other chain you buy with that purchase and sharpening is only $6.50 for any length of chain. They have smaller fees for ordering parts.

4.) And another dealer, probably 25 minutes away, a bit SW of the previous dealer, is actually a John Deere dealership...one of my dad's frat brothers is a co-owner of the 4 JD dealerships in the area, but it's the farthest in time and miles than the others.

At least 4 dealers within a 30 minute drive, but none of them seem to excel and be the best at all services. Dealer two seems to be the most experienced and helpful thus far and will probably be where I take my business from here on out if I can't order online.

In my area, the saw shops have morphed into ATV shops that sell saws on the side.

There seem to be very few shops in the area that primarily sell saws/small engine stuff. There's an Echo dealer and one Stihl dealer, number 2 listed above.

Looks like I'm not the only one getting the fist. The urgency of needing to get a saw running by Friday is what prompted me to order from my dealer, that and a part I ordered from Bailey's last week was on backorder. I guess it will be emergency purchases only at the local shop and probably chains. As long as I buy 3 or more chains, it's cheaper to buy them locally than it is online.

I have a dealer 30 minutes aways, that stocks very little. The one I go to when I need somthing is one hour away. Good folks and always have what I need. Also have all the Husky & Stihl models in stock for me to look at, and no ATVs' :) Their prices are about the same, or a bit less than Bailey's. I've recently compared there prices with Ebay and some items are 2X more on Ebay (Dealer-$2.99 for a gas cap, Ebay-$6.90):jawdrop:

I checked with two. The dealer that's farther away, about a 20 minute drive one way, charges less, but the closer one told me they have to have a total order of
between what the store and any customers need to get free shipping.

They told me they have 3 of the 6 parts in stock, so I'll find out tomorrow what the shipping charge is for an 044 impulse hose, a T27x120x70 screwdriver, and a carb grommet for an 066...probably less than 1/2 lbs total.

Hogwash my foot $ 195.00 minimum from a distributor

We have a few dealers locally. Only two worth going to. The two good dealers both do a good bit of business with the local climbers. Might be worth it to find a dealer that deals with alot of pro users.

Excellent replies from all contributors!!
"Do me right and I'll be back and buy again...Screw me and I'm outta here".
Again a good honest dealer online is better than a thousand local crooks.
But again...they will NOT sell you anything with a warranty!!!!!!
That way they can stay anonymous with the company.
J2F

Last edited:

Thank you for confirming this for me i been thinking on that line when i relocate to another state yes this boy is leaving nc sometime next year

Feel like having a ATV shop and showroom along with Saws and trimmers will help alot

I'm very lucky...I get my dealer to order parts with their weekly stock order, usually arrives in 2 days or so. They carry a lot more than the average dealer tho, as well as a lot of B&S/Kohler/Tecumseh parts.

I've got 4 Husky dealers in my area. The closest being literally 8 or so minutes away from me, and the farthest being 35 minutes away. 2 of the 4 are also sell ATV's, snowmobile parts, and tractors as well. They usually have the basic's in stock: chains, bars, B&C oil, etc but don't expect them to have anything substantial. 1 of the 4 is also tool/machine rental shop. Good guys, any always willing to order parts too. My favorite by far is the one 8 minutes from me though. A father/son SAW shop. The son owns is now, but his father ran if for 40+ years originally selling Homelite and Mac's. I have NEVER had to orders parts from them. It's not the most organized place (about 20-25 projects laying around in the side shop, rows and rows of NOS parts in old, rusty file cabinets and that great smell of 2-stroke and grease) but they always have the part I need, plus they like shooting the sh*t with their customers. That's why I always go back.

My dealer dings me every chance he gets. I put up with it from time to time as he is struggling to stay in business and he is a decent saw mechanic.

On the other hand if I'm going to pay shipping on parts I find it much easier to order from a site sponsor and have it delivered to the door.

My dealer dings me every chance he gets. I put up with it from time to time as he is struggling to stay in business and he is a decent saw mechanic.

On the other hand if I'm going to pay shipping on parts I find it much easier to order from a site sponsor and have it delivered to the door.

Agreed. If I'm paying for the delivery charge, they ought to be bringing it to me. Sounds like I've opened a nasty can of worms with this thread and there is some pain, hate, and discontent towards a lot of the dealers.

IF, its stihl parts, then u can tell you that the 2 local ACE hardware stores do not charge shipping as long as they get your order in before they send their bi-weekly order off. So, again IF, its Stihl parts you need you may try your local ACE hardware. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back