Ordering parts from your dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger Man

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
But there's an even worse point here that you might have missed. Not only is this guy banging you with a bogus freight charge; what he's doing is sitting on the order until he builds it up so that it qualifies for FREE freight! He expects you to pay shipping, but he sure doesn't want to pay it himself. This guy could teach a class on how to be a crook. Just amazing. I could never intentionally screw my customers like that.

:agree2: That's exactly what he's doing!:censored: I have seen this done by shops and not just ones in the OPE business.

Trigger Man

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I want that 4.00 part for my 30 year saw and no I'm not paying any shipping and I want it by tomorrow. Whats your answer Fish. Here's mine, "people in hell want ice water too",LOLOL

Recently ordered a 179.00 part for a cat who dropped off a few chains. Didn't charge him up front or any shipping. It came in 3 days later and three weeks later he came in to get his chains. I got his bag of chains and the part he ordered. He says I didn't order that, I go the hell you didn't. He took it. BS like that is why some make folks pay up front, can't blame them. Don't want to pay the freight then take the wait. If ya want it right away then ya gotsa pay!!!

I've seen that happen too, In that case the cat does have to pay, special order (like when the customer want's it the next day) or something that is'nt a regular stocked item, Then by all means the shipping is extra, and the price of the parts up front!

However if the business is selling new equipment, then they should stock the parts to fix what they sell, I'm not saying they need p&c for every saw on the self, but things like fuel lines, gas caps, filters, rim sprokets things of that nature should be regular stocked items.

Last edited:
biggenius29

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
I want that 4.00 part for my 30 year saw and no I'm not paying any shipping and I want it by tomorrow. Whats your answer Fish. Here's mine, "people in hell want ice water too",LOLOL

Recently ordered a 179.00 part for a cat who dropped off a few chains. Didn't charge him up front or any shipping. It came in 3 days later and three weeks later he came in to get his chains. I got his bag of chains and the part he ordered. He says I didn't order that, I go the hell you didn't. He took it. BS like that is why some make folks pay up front, can't blame them. Don't want to pay the freight then take the wait. If ya want it right away then ya gotsa pay!!!

I dont blame you on that one. I know my dealer does the same thing to people that they dont know. You cant hang your ass on the line for someone.

USMC0802

USMC0802

ArboristSite Guru
I've seen that happen too, In that case the cat does have to pay, special order (like when the customer want's it the next day) or something that is'nt a regular stocked item, Then by all means the shipping is extra, and the price of the parts up front!

However if the business is selling new equipment, then they should stock the parts to fix what they sell, I'm not saying they need p&c for every saw on the self, but things like fuel lines, gas caps, filters, rim sprokets things of that nature should be regular stocked items.

This is what the True Value store said, exactly. The consumable parts that are recommended for replacement at various intervals are the parts they stock. P&C, not so much.

hamish

hamish

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
At my shop which is a Husqvarna dealership (full line) I stock the common consumibles for saws, for every model in the 200-500 series saws, basically fuel lines, carb kits, gas caps, fasteners, air filters, rims/sprockets, fuel filters. Not the whole enchilada but the things that get used in the shop most often and customers need. For my pro user customers I stock p&c, seals, brake handles, brake bands......etc..etc....basically the entire saw save for the crankcase, bu thats only for 4 300 series saws and 2 500 series saws. My little mountain of spare parts is worth over 30K that I have paid for and spent the money to keep it stocked and current. Thanks to customers that have ordered parts and never picked them up I have at least another 10K in odd ball stuff that might sell one day (still trying to figure out if its worth it to take a 20% loss -re-stocking fee and shipping- on my cost to return them or not........a yearly thought process...still haven't come to a conclusion. I do make the effort to stock parts for saws and trimmers but the rest of the line (mowers,snowthrowers,blowers etc..... I cant afford to stock the parts.

People spend $600 dollars on a chainsaw and expect the service as if they bought an $100,000 dollar automobile, sorry but the profit margins are alot different. Where I am most people work hard for there money, and they dont deserve to get ripped off on outrageous shop charges to make up for shop materials or shipping.

This morning I had a "new" customer come in with a Rancher 50.........1982.....do the math......28 years old and was pissed off and yelling at me because I didn't have a chanin brake assembly in stock..........blah blah blah your a dealer etc.........well.......sorry i cant stock that stuff and hey if you want to be an idiot well guess what, there the door!

Go buy all your stuff at a big box store, when you need something go there for service, when you want to return it after alot of use, argue with the teenager at the customer service counter till they take it back. Had a cat try to return a zero turn mower he used commercially for a full season, stating he didn't want it and it didn't work right, wanted his money back. Refered him to directly to husky, they tell me to refund him the money I say no not once did the customer ever say anything or return it for service for a simple issue that could have been addressed easily. Nope I am told by the mother ship to refund the full purchase price and I will be re-imbursed by the mother ship........well a year later still waiting..........close to 3K in the hole.

IF you need a saw for the weekend or the next day and you dont already have a backup saw, buy a new one and save you #####ing and complaining or pay the shipping either from your dealer or online retailers. Blah it took 3 days,,well sometimes when i submit an order online it doesn;t get processed till the next day, then shipped the next day, 3 days is normal.

Getting a saw running is not a life or death situation, getting tables and chairs when you need bullets and water is.

Trigger Man

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
At my shop which is a Husqvarna dealership (full line) I stock the common consumibles for saws, for every model in the 200-500 series saws, basically fuel lines, carb kits, gas caps, fasteners, air filters, rims/sprockets, fuel filters. Not the whole enchilada but the things that get used in the shop most often and customers need. For my pro user customers I stock p&c, seals, brake handles, brake bands......etc..etc....basically the entire saw save for the crankcase, bu thats only for 4 300 series saws and 2 500 series saws. My little mountain of spare parts is worth over 30K that I have paid for and spent the money to keep it stocked and current. Thanks to customers that have ordered parts and never picked them up I have at least another 10K in odd ball stuff that might sell one day (still trying to figure out if its worth it to take a 20% loss -re-stocking fee and shipping- on my cost to return them or not........a yearly thought process...still haven't come to a conclusion. I do make the effort to stock parts for saws and trimmers but the rest of the line (mowers,snowthrowers,blowers etc..... I cant afford to stock the parts.

People spend $600 dollars on a chainsaw and expect the service as if they bought an $100,000 dollar automobile, sorry but the profit margins are alot different. Where I am most people work hard for there money, and they dont deserve to get ripped off on outrageous shop charges to make up for shop materials or shipping.

This morning I had a "new" customer come in with a Rancher 50.........1982.....do the math......28 years old and was pissed off and yelling at me because I didn't have a chanin brake assembly in stock..........blah blah blah your a dealer etc.........well.......sorry i cant stock that stuff and hey if you want to be an idiot well guess what, there the door!

Go buy all your stuff at a big box store, when you need something go there for service, when you want to return it after alot of use, argue with the teenager at the customer service counter till they take it back. Had a cat try to return a zero turn mower he used commercially for a full season, stating he didn't want it and it didn't work right, wanted his money back. Refered him to directly to husky, they tell me to refund him the money I say no not once did the customer ever say anything or return it for service for a simple issue that could have been addressed easily. Nope I am told by the mother ship to refund the full purchase price and I will be re-imbursed by the mother ship........well a year later still waiting..........close to 3K in the hole.

IF you need a saw for the weekend or the next day and you dont already have a backup saw, buy a new one and save you #####ing and complaining or pay the shipping either from your dealer or online retailers. Blah it took 3 days,,well sometimes when i submit an order online it doesn;t get processed till the next day, then shipped the next day, 3 days is normal.

Getting a saw running is not a life or death situation, getting tables and chairs when you need bullets and water is.

I know a few husky dealers in my area, one pretty good, and I've seen him fight tooth and nail with husky over warranty for a customer that complained about the paint peeling off of his mower deck on his ride on, husky said NO WAY!! if you want to fix it for him then its on you. Unless you deal with a different distributor than the dealers down my way do I don't see you getting your money back on the ZT.

USMC0802

USMC0802

ArboristSite Guru
Hamish, I completely understand where you're coming from. I appreciate, and I'm sure most of your customers do, that you actually stock parts, especially in the most common saws. It's nice to be able to get a saw running again quickly. I would think most homeowners don't have backup saws and probably don't run their saws very often except when they need them. Those saws might sit for a long time between uses and maybe aren't stored properly.

I have a Stihl 031AV that is obsolete and most parts aren't available anymore. Production ceased on that model in 1982, the year I was born. I don't expect miracles when I need something for it.

To reiterate, I have no problem paying for shipping, as long as it's reasonable, even if my order isn't going right away and is going with a combined order. My issue was the fact that I was told shipping would be $12 and was led to believe the order would go out the day it was placed. I was disappointed I was misled and the order wasn't being placed until the weekly scheduled order went out and I was paying more shipping for those parts than I would for them to come from California from Bailey's and they weren't coming to my door.

I don't expect everything to be in stock, but some of the most basic parts that are universal to almost every model in the history of these saws, parts that are less than $2.00, should be available on the shelf.

I don't mind prepaying either, as long as you take my payment over the phone.

I guess I'm used to the service I get from car parts stores like Advance or Autozone. NAPA does charge freight from time to time when getting small parts in from distributors or other stores, but I don't usually order from there. When I need something for my Jeep, if they don't have it, they normally don't make me prepay, they have it within a day or two, and don't charge shipping. They call me when it's in and typically offer some tips on installation if it's a challenging part to deal with - and I didn't buy my vehicle from them. They know they make their money on parts, so that's the difference, not service/repairs or new sales, so maybe that's the difference.

However, if you want a lifelong, loyal customer, I would think the dealers would focus on taking care of people after the sale as well because, like the 031AV, it maybe running for 30+ years and if most people are only buying one saw at a time, 20 years of parts, service, and repairs/maintenance is likely to add up to more than the profits on the initial purchase.

In my case, I have 3 saws I bought used and a hand me down. The only business the dealer will get from me right now is parts and service because I don't have a need to buy a new saw right now, but when I do, you can bet I will go to the dealer that takes care of me now. I don't expect a dealer to take a loss in servicing my needs, but don't mislead me or hose me on additional charges.

Do I sound like a reasonable customer or am I one that would be told where the door is?

Last edited:
spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had a cat try to return a zero turn mower he used commercially for a full season, stating he didn't want it and it didn't work right, wanted his money back. Refered him to directly to husky, they tell me to refund him the money I say no not once did the customer ever say anything or return it for service for a simple issue that could have been addressed easily. Nope I am told by the mother ship to refund the full purchase price and I will be re-imbursed by the mother ship........well a year later still waiting..........close to 3K in the hole.

No F'in way I'd have given that guy a refund. If Husky makes the call on the refund, they can write the guy a check. I'll store the mower, but it's not going back on my floorplan either, without a substantial discount. ;)

Latest posts