Oregon 3/8" Low Profile VS Woodland Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a "non safety" chain for my Stihl MS211........I love Stihl chains & run them on my MS361 (both RSC & RMC depending on cutting conditions) but to my knowledge all Stihl 3/8" Picco chains are low kick-back....at least that's what my dealer told me when i bought the saw & all I could find on the Stihl Website.

Anyway was checking out Oregon's & Woodland Pro's (Carlton) 3/8" Low-profile "non safety" chains on Baileys & was looking for opinions between the two. I'm running a 16" bar on the 211 so there's only a $2.00 difference in price between the two brands .....pretty much the same "costwise" in my opinion so whichever get's the best reviews is the one I'll buy.

Headed out to do some cutting in the morning so will check back Saturday evening.

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a "non safety" chain for my Stihl MS211........I love Stihl chains & run them on my MS361 (both RSC & RMC depending on cutting conditions) but to my knowledge all Stihl 3/8" Picco chains are low kick-back....at least that's what my dealer told me when i bought the saw & all I could find on the Stihl Website.

Anyway was checking out Oregon's & Woodland Pro's (Carlton) 3/8" Low-profile "non safety" chains on Baileys & was looking for opinions between the two. I'm running a 16" bar on the 211 so there's only a $2.00 difference in price between the two brands .....pretty much the same "costwise" in my opinion so whichever get's the best reviews is the one I'll buy.

Headed out to do some cutting in the morning so will check back Saturday evening.

Thanks in advance.
try a loop of each. I like the cutter on the 91 vx but the 30lp has a longer cutter and is good chain . the loop I just put on my cs40 came with a file-o-plate free from baileys'.
good folks and a site sponser.

Thanks for the responses "JW" & "B'Snell". Sounds like either one is good so maybe I'll try a loop of each.

Time to hit the bed - tomorrow is going to be a long day.

They're both good chains but have attached a photo of brand new Oregon 91VS chain and Carlton N1 (same as the Woodland Pro 3/8"LP I am led to believe?). I took this photo a long time ago and have posted it somewhere here before I think.
I've used both chains and both are good but when you check out the cutter length difference from new you may just go the Woodland Pro. The Carlton is significantly longer.
Oregon91VSagainstCarltonN13-8LP.jpg

I have some Woodland pro 3/8 full chisel chains on a couple of my saws and they will cut like hades. I rarely have to sharpen them for I'm carefull about the dirt. I'm impressed with them and aint gonna spend the extra two dollars and after seeing that photo I know i'm not gonna spend the extra money.Them teeth on the woodland pro's look wicked. The 3/8 almost look as bad as my 1/2 pitch saw teeth....well not that bad. Either way you go probably won't be wrong but I just have my opinion.

Another vote for the Woodland Pro. I admit I haven't tried the Oregon, but I run the WP on my 011 and it really cuts nicely.

:cheers:

Thanks for all the responses guys - looks like I'll pick up a couple loops of the Woodland Pro. I'd like to try the new Oregon 91VXL that Cuttinscott posted but I don't think Baileys has it yet. Around here when buying chains you have two choices...OEM from a dealer or "Big box" stores that obviously only carry safety chain.

Anyway thanks again - been limbing some dead dry Ash w/ the 211 & need to wake it up :)

I have some 91 and some woodland pro LP.

The LP rips through the wood in like fashion as the 91. I give the edge to the woodland because of the longer cutters and BETTER price point.

I am running 30LP on my 211 and it is a fast cutting chain.

The Stihl rep told me that 63PMC is a chisel chain, not low kickback, but I not yet bought any.

The 30LP seems to stay sharp longer than the 91VX.

Latest posts

Back