Oregon 410-120 grinder, good or bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I tried the search but there's nothing yet. The price seems to be pretty darn good but sometimes that's a bad sign. I would be using it on 3/8, mostly to fix up any rocked chains that would be too much of a pain to fix by hand and the longest chain is 36". Yes I know, don't hit any rocks in the first place and I wouldn't have that problem but we've got multiple guys using saws and some just don't give a crap but that's a whole other thread that I won't get into now.
Thought maybe someone picked up one of these and could give a little insight.
I've got an add in the trading post to buy or trade for a grinder if someone might have something that would be right for me.

Its basically a 511a with the head in a fixed position, no vise tilt, and no wheel wear adjustment. the vise tilt isn't too critical for me, but the other 2 features are. I personally own a 511ax that gets used for 20ish chains a week. IMO, it would be worth it to spend a little more and get the 511ax or 520 if you want a usable chain straight from the machine. If all you want is to hog some metal to lighten the load of hand filing, then any grinder would work, but a good one will match or surpass out of the box sharpness.

I definitely want something that would be ready to cut when I finish grinding. It's sounding like the 511ax is a good grinder. I was hoping to keep the cost down a bit but I just might have to sell a saw to at least make it feel like I'm spending less.

Latest posts

Back