Oregon chain breakage !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked500R

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was running the 272 with a 24" bar buried flush cutting a stump... All of a sudden I see the chain disappear from the bar:dizzy: Pull the saw out and the chain snapped like a piece of twine.... Oregon .058 chain brand new! Whats up with this? Another reason why I don't like Oregon....
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

I bet Oregon Engineer would like to get his hands on that chain and do a Brinell hardness test on those drive links. That is not a brittle fracture. There is a lot of distortion but do I see some abnormal wear on the front of the drive tang just above the drive link scraper scallop about the 5 oclock position of where the rivet hole should be in the drive link? From the look of the top cutter plate two teeth back, you hit embedded metal but where the force came from to open the link like that is a mystery unless it was dead soft and missed the heat treatment. I would definitely try to contact Oregon technical people. You could always suggest that otherwise, you are quite sure Stihl will trade a new chain of theirs, just to have a look at that one, Lol! I would have some fun with that one: Just make sure there is no problem with your sprocket. Examine the rest of the drive links for any sign of localised wear on the drive links where the fracture originated in that link.

Looks like way to much hook in those cutters...

Was the bar new? Was the sprocket new?

Last edited:
Broken chain

There was clearly an impact on the drive link. Some thing was caught between the drive sprocket and that drive link.

brokenchain2.jpg

AJ

Well the bar is a brand new Total Super pro...The sprocket shows a little wear... I was on my way to replace it with a new one to match the new chain just to have new stuff.... I was only going to cut this one stump with it because I knew the "cough" 361 wasn't going to handle it... 3/4 the way through, It snapped... never heard of a chain breaking, even with a worn sprocket

Take a good look at the sprocket tip you might have a roller bearing missing that rode down the bar groove till it caught in the sprocket and broke the chain.....

Scott

Flush cutting a stump it could have been anything. Part of the saw, part of the earth, etc. but something got between that chain and the drive sprocket.

Andy

In all fairness to Oregon, and for educational purposes, show a pic off the
sprocket.

I have a feeling that it is worn out.

Back