Oregon Powermatch vs Carlton speed tip???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronmountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Getting ready to order a 24" inch bar for one of my saws, and I'm probably going to get one of these. If y'all were picking, and $$ wasn't the issue, which would you get and why?

Also, where do y'all find the sprocket tip Sugihara bars? All I can find is the hard tip ones on flebay. Is that really the only option right now?? Also, I can't find an online dealer for GB titanium bars either???????

I think the Carlton speed tip is a Windsor bar, the power match is a single rivet tip. The speed tip is a 3 rivet affair when it comes to tip replacement. I have had both, both good bars. I have 2 power match bars now, one Oregon branded and one Carlton. Blount owns them all, so you have a good company behind whichever you buy. I bought my Latest Carlton bar from baileys (husky mount), it is a 28" .050" bar, going to mod it for use o. The 10 series McC's. I think I got it for less than 40 bucks on a clearance sale. Screaming deal!!

I think the Carlton speed tip is a Windsor bar, the power match is a single rivet tip. The speed tip is a 3 rivet affair when it comes to tip replacement. I have had both, both good bars. I have 2 power match bars now, one Oregon branded and one Carlton. Blount owns them all, so you have a good company behind whichever you buy. I bought my Latest Carlton bar from baileys (husky mount), it is a 28" .050" bar, going to mod it for use o. The 10 series McC's. I think I got it for less than 40 bucks on a clearance sale. Screaming deal!!

So it's probably a toss up eh?

I have used both. Neither is a bad choice. I like the current look of the Carlton bar better than the Oregon if that matters.

Also, I can't find an online dealer for GB titanium bars either???????

To the best of my knowledge GB don't have a US distributor anymore after Stens ditched them.

As far as bar quality goes I've heard a lot of good things about the Speed Tips. I've never run one but have run a number of the Oregon made bars (rebadged Power Match Plus) and have absolutely no complaints.
I really want to try out a Speed Tip version but will have to wait until some of my other bars die.

Last edited:
I like the Carlton bars better. I do have both. I especially like the 20" 3/8" 70 dl in K095 (sm. mt. Husky). Only two more dl than an 18" 68dl with two more inches reach. I run them on 254XP for ex. Wish I had a few more of em. Have them in 20" and 24". Longer bars are Oregon Power Match cause that's what I got a pretty good deal on. Do like the look better too.
Shep

To the best of my knowledge GB don't have a US distributor anymore after Stens ditched them.

As far as bar quality goes I've heard a lot of good things about the Speed Tips. I've never run one but have run a number of the Oregon made bars (rebadged Power Match Plus) and have absolutely no complaints.
I really want to try out a Speed Tip version but will have to wait until some of my other bars die.

So there's no way to get the GB's then?

So there's no way to get the GB's then?

I can get them and post them to you from Australia :D
You probably wouldn't pay USD$200 for a 32" bar though. Nearly half would be postage.
If I was you I'd buy another brand - the Ti's are good but they're not that good. I just bought a 72" one for my 3120 but only because they are really the only extra long bars we can get out here.

Latest posts

Back