Original or aftermarket Sprocket Rims

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
STIHL parts are high $$. With that said, when shopping for parts one's attention is drawn towards the less expensive aftermarket products.

SO, I purchased an aftermarket rim out of curiosity. Right away, I noticed the Power Mate Rim was lighter in weight. Having some intricate measuring tools on hand, I decided to check the difference between the two.
rims1.jpg

The aftermarket rim fits pretty loose on the original Clutch Housing. I figure the whole kit needs changing out if one wants to use aftermarket equipment.
pwrmtrimmounted1.jpg

stihlrimmounted1.jpg

You Must Compare Apples to Apples Not Apples to Pears............ The Oregon Rim you showed is a small 7 spline and the OddBall Stihl Rim you showed is called a MINI 7 spline. Last I Knew the Std 7 spline rims were made by Oregon For Stihl........

Scott

You Must Compare Apples to Apples Not Apples to Pears............ The Oregon Rim you showed is a small 7 spline and the OddBall Stihl Rim you showed is called a MINI 7 spline. Last I Knew the Std 7 spline rims were made by Oregon For Stihl........

Scott

I agree that the STIHL Kit is the OddBall. The Oregon Rim is the one required for this model. It will have to have the Oregon Clutch Housing to match up.

By looking at the part number on the drum, 1121 xxx xxxx, thats an 026/260 I think. So he needs the MINI SPLINE rim sprocket. NOT SMALL, I believe that is what you have there.

By looking at the part number on the drum, 1121 xxx xxxx, thats an 026/260 I think. So he needs the MINI SPLINE rim sprocket. NOT SMALL, I believe that is what you have there.

1121 xxx xxxx is definetely a mini, or xs(xtra small........dependant upon aftermarket manufacturers).

STIHL parts are high $$. With that said, when shopping for parts one's attention is drawn towards the less expensive aftermarket products.

SO, I purchased an aftermarket rim out of curiosity. Right away, I noticed the Power Mate Rim was lighter in weight. Having some intricate measuring tools on hand, I decided to check the difference between the two.
rims1.jpg

The aftermarket rim fits pretty loose on the original Clutch Housing. I figure the whole kit needs changing out if one wants to use aftermarket equipment.
pwrmtrimmounted1.jpg

stihlrimmounted1.jpg
Been there and done that.The 1st time I replaced the rim on my .026 .
I had too go to the dealer for the right one and they broke it off in me.
I think baileys has a mini,not sure.

Well; after (5) unsuccessful attempts at trying to edit post #9, I want to thank you guys for the 'Heads-Up' on that RIM. I thought it may have been a sloppy replacement up till now.

Getting back to the original point ,i found stihl and powermate rim sprockets wear about the same xcept the stihl ones are alot dearer,
there is a few other A/M ones floating around ,they dont have a brand name on them or in some some cases have nothing on them,
they are cheaper ,But i reckon they are softer cause they wear real fast compared to the stihl/powermate rims

Getting back to the original point ,i found stihl and powermate rim sprockets wear about the same xcept the stihl ones are alot dearer ....

No surprice there, as by close inspection they look like they are exactly the same, except for the brand name.

Other aftermarket rims are different stories.

The practical difference between the mini and the small is that 3/8x6 picco rims can be made for the mini, but is impossible with the small.

I've never found any difference in wear between brands of rim sprockets. Therefore go the cheapest - there is a 90% chance most of them are coming out of the same Chinese factory anyway :)

J.W Younger posted that Bailey's may have the mini-spine Rim, so I checked their WEB this morning. They sell two brands. One must be the original STIHL because the price is 4 times above that of the other A/M brand.
Thanks again everyone, this has turned out to be educational for me. :glasses-cool:

The three seven-spline rim sizes in common use at the present are MINI (just less than dime-sized), SMALL (just over penny-sized), and STANDARD (just over nickel-sized).

Back