Ortho posion ivy killer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furb

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Long story short I sprayed posion ivy killer on posion under my dogwood tree and now it looks like crap. Tree is pretty old, twenty years old? Is it weed killer killing the tree. Could be the hot weather as some of the other trees look wilted. Thanks in advance.

Long story short I sprayed posion ivy killer on posion under my dogwood tree and now it looks like crap. Tree is pretty old, twenty years old? Is it weed killer killing the tree. Could be the hot weather as some of the other trees look wilted. Thanks in advance.
The main ingredient is probably triclopyr, in which case it would be exactly what is making the tree look bad. 50/50 if it makes it or not, hard to say without knowing the amount applied or seeing it.

The roots are probably just taking up residual. It will pass. Just make sure it's getting adequate water, not too much and not too little. Maybe consider a late season application of a slow release fertilizer. Blood meal is a good choice. Follow the recommended rate for trees.

Last summer I applied ortho weed killer to some weeds around a black walnut in my yard. Said it was safe for trees. A week later the tree dropped all it's leaves. Thought it was dead, but I left it just in case. This spring it came back with a vengeance. Completely fine. I know it's a different species and product, but they can bounce back.

That stuff is very volatile. The fumes or mist may have went up and hurt the tree. Unless you soaked it . It shouldn't have any activity in the soil.

It probably says to keep off of the trees though, right? Triclopyr does go through bark - usually with a bark penetrating oil, so it does not surprise me it was taken through roots.

Back