OT: Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure where to post this Q so I tried here first. Mods please move this thread to where it properly begins if this place ain't it.

Got a question on chaps.

My local industrial supplier sells Husky gear. I figure I'd buy my PPE gear from there since my wife gave me a gift certificate to this particular store (God I love that woman!).

Anyway, I've already decided to get the full protective pro helmet. Concerning chaps, Husky sells a blue set of chaps as well as a don't-shoot-me-I'm-not-a-deer orange set. From my reading it appears the orange set has an extra layer of Denier nylon or something like that on the exterior.

Any particular reason why I should opt for one vs the other? Which ones are more comfortable? How's flexibility and maneuverability? Do they get warm?

I figure I'll do this right from the get go. No sense making a fun passtime into a life delibitating accident. Especially with my luck. Thanks guys.

Nevermind. Found lots of info here already.

I figure the orange Pro-Forest (?) ones are the way to go since there is more material and effectively more protection.

Thanks.

Just another point, Im not sure if its been brought up, but swayed my decision on color. If you do happen to hurt yourself, and your laying in the woods in your own blood. The rescuers will spot that orange before they spot the blue.

Hack said:
I figure the orange Pro-Forest (?) ones are the way to go since there is more material and effectively more protection.

The Pro-Wrap chaps come in blue now too. It used to be only the consumer chaps came in blue. That is no longer the case.

Yet another point in favor of the orange: if you're out cutting with other people, especially when you're in thick brush, it is much easier to see where your cutting companions are when they're wearing blaze orange. That was the factor that did it for me in the orange versus blue versus green debate.

Baileys sells a whole pant (dark green) rather than just the front version. Personally I find the straps and all that crap very uncomfortable and annoying, but then again I do get sweaty in the pants.

Yep, they get hot. Real hot, in summer. I prefer the chaps for that reason, they get hot but when I'm not sawing, taking a break or something, I release the straps and then can move them away from my legs for a few min. while I rest up. The pants would likely give more protection, though I've gotten in the habit of checking the placement of the chaps every so often, making sure they haven't twisted around my legs and left a opening where I don't want one. I suppose, depending on how they happen to fit your individual legs, the straps could catch on twigs, etc., as you walk thru brush. Hasn't been a problem for me, though.

These look to be the best ones I have found - they use true Kevlar fabric layers - 2 layers of basket-woven Kevlar and 2 layers of needle-punched Kevlar.

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/sakechch.html
More info here: http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_catalog_page.asp?id=1641

These also look decent, but I think I would prefer the Saw Buck chaps for the little bit extra money...they seem to be of a little better quality, and are true kevlar.

http://www.madsens1.com/chaps.htm

What do you guys think? At $85, it doesn't seem too bad to save a leg full of stitches and a few thousand in doctors bills!

I know that I should invest in a set of chaps. I have sliced several pair of my Carhart jeans and at the time I wasn't even aware of it. What brands and styles are you professional types using? Where did you get them? A couple of years ago I was cutting back a bunch of bush honeysuckle surrounding an old tree stump from the edge of the parking lot at a friend's place. I was using my new 372xp. Mixed in with bush honeysuckle was a plastic grocery type bag. The bag got sucked up by the saw and stopped it instantly. It jammed the chain right at the sprocket. Maybe I could get someone to attach a whole bunch of those plastic grocery bags to my jeans. They would be poor man's chaps.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I am not a pro, but FWIW I purchased a set of orange from Bailey's. I have never cut my jeans, but I decided it was time. It is too cheap of an investment for a little extra safety. I got the ones that they claim will not snag. Since most of my cutting is in the woods, this was important to me. I really like them and do not really notice that I have them on, in the extreme heat, they do add a little temp to your lower body, but it is not bad. Just don't let the extra protection allow you to get sloppy. I saw like I am not wearing them. I also track less sawdust/chips into the house, plus less bar oil on your jeans.

Jim

Four Paws said:
At $85, it doesn't seem too bad to save a leg full of stitches and a few thousand in doctors bills!

If only more people saw it that way!

My parents have a neighbor, a retired guy, who cut his leg and knee all up with a saw a couple months ago when he decided to cut his firewood sitting down on an upside-down bucket and it tipped over. It probably has something to do with the fact that I can count on one hand the number of times in the past twenty-some years that I've seen him without a can of beer in his hand. We were talking about chaps and how they could have saved him some pain and suffering. Even after cutting himself all up, he still won't buy a pair. Go figure.

Just bought my first pair last week. I figured with me wanting to go to the GTG's and some low key races, it is mandatory at most places. I have never cut myself, or my jeans, but cutting on a log stand has it's moments of intense enthusiam. Besides, now I can be politically correct and safe when I shoot more vids and be a good example. And I want to start using a CSM and those can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.....

I got a cheap pair for now...The blue Husky's. A lowes 5 minutes from work had a display pair, and were out of stock. I asked and got them for 30 bucks. I figured that wasn't anything to bat an eye about. I'll get a better pair, ones that won't snag and have the wrap around calf protection. I couldn't make it to my dealer last week, and I bought them for the races at a local fair. They are a little warm in the high summer heat, but that is a little price to pay for safety.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
I'll get a better pair, ones that won't snag and have the wrap around calf protection.

Don't think I want wrap-arounds. I mean, if you actually stop and think about it, when you are walking through brush, lifting your legs high, or walking up a steep inlcine, I think the wrap-arounds would start to make your pant legs ride up. just my take on the situation. Seems as if the Saw Buck chaps have a small tool pocket attached to the belt...I am sold I think! I'll buy-em in the morning!

I purchased the chaps sold by Gemplers, $70. Straps are very easy to adjust, one-handed, and the quick-release buckles work well. After using them for five months, I am impressed with the quality. How they compare with other brands, I cannot say. I'd buy them again. These Gemplers are made by some co. in Canada named Elvex, don't know anything about them except their chaps are excellent and they also have other woodsman's gear. I haven't hit my leg with the saw so cannot say how well they'd work if I did.

Just bought Bailey's full protective pants for $65. Have zippers on leg sides to go over shoes and wear right over your pants or NOT. Try that with regular chaps. I love them and like the extra full coverage of my ankles and back of legs too. Wore them to a Fair chainsaw event in the heat and didnt even notice them on me (heat wise) or any bulk. They even have suspender hook ups for those that chose so. 2 pockets in front and button and zipper front like pants and a large back pocket with velcro closer.
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1503?mv_session_id=ECZGuEfD&product_sku=138 GRN

Last edited:
TopJimmy said:
I saw like I am not wearing them.

My attitude also. My chaps are SwedePro with the wrap around calf protection. Has a pocket in front. Got them new on e-bay for $65. Mine are blue. I like the reasoning for orange chaps or pants for visibility. If I ever need another pair (I pray that I won't), for reasons other than them getting old and worn, I'll be getting orange colored chaps.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back