Ouestion on Winter????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do climbers do when the winter comes around?? Work gets slow and bills pile up. Do you get a second job or just save pennies untile it pics back up?? If you do get a second job. Do you have to work at night or try to predict a schedual?? Climbing is my passion nothing comes before it, but my family is important. I need some advice. Thanks....

bi:eek:

Work slows down here, you might not want to climb a tree right after a heavy wet snow, but later on it is OK. sometimes it is a good thing.

I've gone down south to work before. Talked to a couple people here about doing it this season.

Dormant pruning is often the best, so we encourage our clients to have the work done during that time.

We also have shrub pruning (basal, that is) which we do in the winter along with snow plowing, roof shoveling, gutter salting, whatever seems to be needed. It's all on the website: www.crawfordtree.com

Nickrosis

Thanx, brian,

I put them to work polishing the....

..shovels

Jps, back in '95, we had about 48 inches in three storms- at my house 400 feet above sea level. i was skiing and four wheeling all over the place.

And 10 inches in 6 hrs last feb.

And, in '99-00, a world record 1260 inches at mt. Baker, 2.5 hrs drive away.

Winter's my busiest time..more tree work gets done round here in Winter than Summer. As well as that, I get woodland planting contracts, plus hedgelaying work. Last year, I couldn't find enough good people to help, so worked 7 days/week from February to early April.

My problem's keeping busy in the Summer. I can survive on Winter earnings if I watch the pennies. I've not been bothered about lack of work this summer..more time to watch the World Cup and cricket! Trouble is, all that loafing around means I'm a little bit out of condition, so I'm suffering now that work's picking up...

On a good year, I go snowboarding overseas and back to Munich for a few weeks. On a slow year, make short vacations, check messages often, and pray for a good ice storm.

At times, I really hate the spiked income.

Goes with the trade - when it is good, it is great. When it is bad it is scary.

Weather is not really the problem here. Just that from thanksgiving 'til feb people are spending money for the holidays or recovering from what they spent.

Winter

I stayed pretty busy, about three days out of five last winter-mainly pruning jobs for condos but a few larger removals as well. Dress for the weather and no probs, though we did call it a day a couple of times because the saws would not run due to the cold.

Latest posts

Back