our firewood craziness.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad makes fun of me too. Around here most standing dead is elm, and most of that is the red elm variety. We were cutting up a large oak at the golf course and I made mention of a few small dead red elm trees, stand around for a minute ya notice a few more. Had nearly a truckload by the time I was done. Dead trees should be considered an eye sore so people should just let you take care of them right? I don't care if it's 1" diameter, I load up on it. Unfortunately most of those trees I obsess over I'll never have the chance to cut down due to it not being my property. I'll continue to obsess.

My kids make fun of me because every time we're out and I see a dead tree, I usually mutter something about it. Now they beat me to the punch, and point them out to me. It's become kind of a game of "who can spot the firewood first".
Yep got the grandsons doing the same thing, their 3 and 5 years old. Addicted, obsessed, sickness, disease, maybe, maybe it's inherited.

Next time I drive out to my parents property I will take a pic of the sight that makes me dream of firewood.
There is a small farm and they have 3 very big gum trees down in one small area.

I am seriously thinking about knocking on their door and asking if they have any plans for the down trees.
I recon I could handle taking a week off work to process it and sell it while I get paid to be on holidays.

I have nowhere to store it all but it would pay for my saws!

I am seriously thinking about knocking on their door and asking
Lemme tell you a story son....

My dream car as a new driver was a Triumph Spitfire Convertible
<fast forward 25 years after high school graduation>
A neighbor had an old Triumph Spitfire convertible stored along side his garage. For the 20ish years I had lived in that neighborhood I was always going to knock on the door and ask if he wanted to sell it, but never had time. One day I noticed the car was gone. A little while later I saw that neighbor outside so I stopped to ask him what happened to the car.
<Now would be a good time to sit down if you take bad news poorly>
His reply "I sold it to some scrappers for scrap value. They got it started and drove it onto their trailer."

Moral: Go knock on the door!

Lemme tell you a story son....

My dream car as a new driver was a Triumph Spitfire Convertible. <Now would be a good time to sit down if you take bad news poorly>
His reply "I sold it to some scrappers for scrap value. They got it started and drove it onto their trailer."Moral: Go knock on the door!

>They got it started and drove it onto their trailer."

:eek: !!! I knew you were going to say 'sold it'... but wasn't ready for it to have just started up and be driveable... omg! now that's definitely a heartbreaker!

oh, how I just hate heartbreaker stories.... :cry:

kinda like: (fictitious) when I was growing up, I always saw Grandpa's chains saw sitting there out in our barn... never got used, we had converted to gas heat... never mentioned I had always wanted it, and ended up with a newer model. one day, the wind kicked up and dropped some tree limbs in our yard, when some guys who had come to ck out the saw to buy got blocked in... they started it right up, :clap: cut their way out... and the rest of the story is merely part of our family's history... lol :laughing:

I enjoy working with the wood and machines on my own. Me and my thoughts. I also like the fact that I can produce something of value, both in firewood sales and in tangible heat for my family, when the day is done. If I could make the living I do now doing firewood all day every day, I wood.

Next time I drive out to my parents property I will take a pic of the sight that makes me dream of firewood.
There is a small farm and they have 3 very big gum trees down in one small area.

I am seriously thinking about knocking on their door and asking if they have any plans for the down trees.
I recon I could handle taking a week off work to process it and sell it while I get paid to be on holidays.

I have nowhere to store it all but it would pay for my saws!
Do it nothing to lose..i had people pay me to remove firewood just from knocking

Latest posts

Back