Our New GRCS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post cause I don't have many good pics yet, but I have some time so here goes. We did this job on Friday. My wife took video of this whole tree comming down that is why the pics are few and far between. Another big Silver Maple, we donated the work and the firewood was donated to an 85 year old man. This job was for a friend of our family and their relation.

The GRCS mounted in a kerf cut. We built the piece that mounts in the kerf. We used the GRCS to pull over a nice big log and lower it, the capabilities of this tool are awesome. We used it again Saturday to pull a good size Cedar to a 25" Spruce I had stripped and topped as a jib pole. We tipped and lifted the Cedar in two pieces with a tip tie and tagline on the butt.
DSCN2361.jpg

Me sleeping on the spar while the firewood crew scurries beneath me.
DSCN2362.jpg

DSCN2363.jpg

What we left to pull over.
DSCN2365.jpg

30' gooseneck backed in with dual splitters loading it.
DSCN2366.jpg

Big Rich puttin one on the splitter.
DSCN2364.jpg

This load is 7.5 facecord of wood with another 7 facecord load to go. Wanna race! Cummins power, oooooh, oooooooh.
DSCN2375.jpg

We ended up leaving the stub to finnish another day, Rich had to go rake hay. We will drop the stub and split the big dogs with my skidsteer mounted splitter so we don't have to lift them. I built this with a 5"x30" ram. It can be rotated to be operated in the upright position, but from in the cab only.
DSCN0789.jpg

On a side note, I picked up the cast aluminum Caddy pads and used them all day Saturday, we removed 9 tree's total and I thought they were great. The shank isn't able to slide against your leg, but this does cause more stress to be put on your shin, I lowered the pads a little so they weren't on my knee joints and had no discomfort at all, I now recommend these babies to anyone looking for a comfortable pad that will last.

think ya got enough slack in that eye splice for the pulley there Nails?
But I am just a mediocre climber with little experience...
So they split and loaded while you slept on the caddy pads. The sun can put you out right nice, then you wake up in the middle of a 9 inch cut. Oh well, interesting how you handled the wood on that one.
I am afraid of the extra work that thing that looks like a Russian tank would make in some of the places I go. I find it odd you elected for steel tracks.Why was that again, for weight?

Last edited:
OH and I guess there is about 3.5 cords of wood on the trailer cause a face cord is a half cord, right?
How do you measure each load, a hopper?

Don't you think or really know that pictures are more dramatic than they appear on the job. Not to criticise, but I get tired of guys with cameras making a big thing of stuff we do all day just because the pics are cool.
Sorry, Jeff (am I gonna get booted?)

Don't you think or really know that pictures are more dramatic than they appear on the job. Not to criticise, but I get tired of guys with cameras making a big thing of stuff we do all day just because the pics are cool.

I used to think that ... til I saw mtself on the big screen. Now I am all lit up for glory and the diamond life. NOW, I know I am hot #### on a silver platter, before I just had a pretty good idea I was.
Go ahead a get your portfolio together before you die! Go Nails GO! But i guess not in thes pics you sloth. Sleeping?

I agree, it can cause some melting on heavy impacts as it cinches up. Try for as little play as possible and as snug as you can get it.

Not to criticize, but I get tired of guys with cameras making a big thing of stuff we do all day

Yeah Jeff, but around here 70 ft is a BIG tree. Nels has gone from 1970's methods to 2002 in 4 months. ;)

Well Jeff, It is called Arborist site.

And if you think the pics are cool, why are you tired of the guys with the cameras ?

It is an awsome tool. If you are not careful, you can easily find the limits of your ropes and tip with it.
Cool pics, keep sharing. I didn't find them dramatic. I wish that I had pics of some of the work I did while younger. It is amazing how the years slip away and the memories fade but just a quik look at some old photos will bring it all back in a rush.

It is an awsome tool. If you are not careful, you can easily find the limits of your ropes and tip with it.
Cool pics, keep sharing. I didn't find them dramatic. I wish that I had pics of some of the work I did while younger. It is amazing how the years slip away and the memories fade but just a quik look at some old photos will bring it all back in a rush.

Yes, exactly, that is why I take the time when I can to take pics, everybody always has stories, well in this day in age why not have the pics to go along with it. When I can't do this anymore I can look back and relive it through the pictures and it will give my family something to remember me by. Also, in the mean time people can learn from this (pictures) on both sides. Learning is always my main goal, period.

Isn't technology great? :clap:

Do they offer the kerf mount as an option?

Never used a GRCS but I never felt like we needed it for the Hobbs. Never compared them side by side to see the difference.

Fred

OH and I guess there is about 3.5 cords of wood on the trailer cause a face cord is a half cord, right?
How do you measure each load, a hopper?

That wood was measured once it was stacked at the guys house. A 16" facecord is 1/3 of a full cord. This wood was 18"-20". I measure the wood I sell in my cordmaster, so yes it is a hopper of sorts, but not on this gig.

But I am just a mediocre climber with little experience...
So they split and loaded while you slept on the caddy pads. The sun can put you out right nice, then you wake up in the middle of a 9 inch cut. Oh well, interesting how you handled the wood on that one.
I am afraid of the extra work that thing that looks like a Russian tank would make in some of the places I go. I find it odd you elected for steel tracks.Why was that again, for weight?

That is a whoopie sling, one eye is adjustable, and that is the one the the sling is girthed through, the one the block is on is fixed, that being said, what is wrong with that setup?

I didn't have the caddy's on yet in those pics, I was getting riled waiting for some ground service, equipment running, everybody busy, can't here anything, and nobody looking.

Last edited:
Nice work as usual, Nails.

Forget the naysayers telling you to stop posting pics. Not only does it look cool as heck, I learn new tricks all the time from everyone's shots. For instance, never knew wth one of those eye-splice jobbies was for, before now. Thanks again, boss.

That is a whoopie sling, one eye is adjustable, and that is the one the the sling is girthed through, the one the block is on is fixed, that being said, what is wrong with that setup?

I didn't have the caddy's on yet in those pics, I was getting riled waiting for some ground service, equipment running, everybody busy, can't here anything, and nobody looking.

Apparently, it was a whoopie sling, my bad.

Isn't technology great? :clap:

Do they offer the kerf mount as an option?

Never used a GRCS but I never felt like we needed it for the Hobbs. Never compared them side by side to see the difference.

Fred

Yes Ghillie, I believe they do, you can get a truck receiver mount too, we are going to build one of those as well. We bought a drill adapter too, so we can hook up the big Milwaukee drill for the long pulls.

Latest posts

Back