Our New GRCS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next purchase is a Milwaukee drill!

The "Hole Hog" is a great tool!
1675-6.jpg

I always thought a crane boom was a Jib

The jib is the extension they can attach to the end of the crane to add reach for light loads.

The "Hole Hog" is a great tool!
1675-6.jpg

The jib is the extension they can attach to the end of the crane to add reach for light loads.

Yeah, that is why I always called it a jib pole cause you are riggin to it. What does jin pole mean, is it a borrowed term or is it specific to tree work?

That is the same drill we got, haven't used it yet.

Yeah, that is why I always called it a jib pole cause you are riggin to it. What does jin pole mean, is it a borrowed term or is it specific to tree work?

That is the same drill we got, haven't used it yet.

Gin-pole would be a borrowed term.

A Jin-pole is a rigid pole with a pulley on the end used for the purpose of lifting. The lower portion of the Jin-pole is attached to the upper exterior of the existing tower or structure while the Jin-pole's free end extends above the existing tower or structure. when used to create a segmented tower or antenna, the jin-pole can be detached, raised and re-attached to the just completed segment, for the purpose of lifting the next segment. The process is repeated until the top most portion of the tower is completed. It is also known as a "Gin Pole" to sailors who use it to help raise a mast on a ship as described above.

From online encylopedia

Fred

Welcome to the GRCS club, Nails. Your looking good. Nothing sweeter than having a GRCS and a couple of blocks to take on a big removal and have fun doing it.

The Hole Hog is the way to go as an accessory to the GRCS with it's low speed reverse gear for raising whole limbs and big wood. The forward speeds really aren't needed that much. To me the forward speeds especially the high speed turn the capstain too fast for the gearing of the GRCS. Low reverse is just about a permanet setting on mine. As long as you can get traction on the capstain it will do just about anything you need it to do for doing heavy tree work.

I must warn you guys the GRCS kit doesn't stop at buying the drill. After the drill comes portable power in the form of a generator. You always don't have juice on a job site.

I got quite an education in plug-ins before we got our generator. I got zapped really bad from a miswired outlet. My heart beat accelerated into the stratosphere. Because of this incident if we do need to use someone elses juice I check it with a polarity tester before plugging in anything. That drill costs big bucks and I am not going to fry it because of some miswired outlets.

Have fun with your new toy Nails, You will find other uses for it besides rigging out a tree. A good example is pulling together a split tree for a cabling job. There are many allied uses for the GRCS.

Like RB has said don't let some of these guys get to you. I don't believe some of the comments said. Just shows how much they really don't know.

On a side note this was the first time I have seen gin pole spelled with a J. I suppose it could work both ways. Probaly depends on what part of the country your from.

Last edited:
Thanks for the solid advice Axe. We have a portable generator/fab/welding trailer that we will use.

I don't sweat these guys, been working with hardcore blue collar types my whole life, and am aware of the armchair internet posers out there. Many are cooler online, it's just the nature of the forum.

I asked the crane/treework master (my dad) about the jib/gin pole thing, he said they always called it a jib, like a crane extension with a pulley, even when he did line clearance and residential work commercially with Asplundh.

Last edited:
It is a great feeling to hit the ground and see all that you have accomplished. Don't stop loving the trill. send more pics too. Can't help it if some people are jealous.
+ 1 job.
:cheers: :clap: :cheers: :clap:

+1 on the pics. It is always good to see the different techniques and debate whether they will work for you.

That's what I signed up for, to learn and if I can, help a little too.

Fred

seeing how this is turning into a nails stroke fest i want in too!

sweet gear upgrade bud!

hows that 660 treating you?

The 660 is a dominant force, I muffler modded it and just picked up a 32" bar with a skip tooth chain for it today. I really like the power to weight and handling characteristics of that saw. It will be a shame if it goes the way of the buffalo like the 440. I muffler modded both of those too.

Keep strokin.

The 660 is a dominant force, I muffler modded it and just picked up a 32" bar with a skip tooth chain for it today. I really like the power to weight and handling characteristics of that saw. It will be a shame if it goes the way of the buffalo like the 440. I muffler modded both of those too.

Keep strokin.

told ya bout that saw man. wait till she breaks in.

how much for that grcs and the tools you added. if you dont mind me asking.

GRCS was $2380, drill adapter was $55. We got a 200' 5/8" New England bull rope with a splice on each end and 2- 12,600 lb screw lock biners for $340.

damn. that be a few bucks right there. cant look at it like that though. lol

did you already have that drill too?

thanks.

No, my bro just bought one, I am not sure the price, I want to say $225 or a little more. We had every other Milwaukee drill but that one.

Careful with the Hog, with a tip tie, you can rip limbs off without a cut. Work slowly to learn how things react under force, watch for barbers-chair on your cuts and be sure to be out of the way of any possible failure when unsure.

This is a good situation to have The Winch redirected over to another tree.

Lastly (for now) make sure the rope runs fair into the top fairleads, you may need a redirect on top. Otherwise, if rope comes into the fairleads a few degrees off, they can bend.

Usually if you are that far off, your riggs will tangle in the rope too.

At Amazon.com
Milwaukee 1676-6 Hole Hawg 7.5 Amp 1/2-Inch Joist and Stud Drill

Buy new: $570.00 $287.95

18 Used & new from $239.99

Get it by Friday, Aug 22 if you order in the next 6 hours and choose one-day shipping.

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
5.0 out of 5 stars (8)

Most site on my search were ~300 or more.

I used a GRCS that I've been borrowing twice within the last week. That thing is sick dog. I'm not the best with it yet but certainly see its benifits. I pulled a split maple together yesterday with that thing and a pulley/bowline, enough so I could climb it-what a thing! watching a 90' maple split at the wishbone 40' up chinching together with each crank,...priceless.

Back